Tattoo Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yay, a tattoo thread! :D

I have been mulling over my next tat idea for quite some time, and now that I've committed to a school, I think some celebratory/life-event-marking ink is in order.

Physio, I agree that the caduceus is more visually dynamic than the Rod of Asclepius... in fact, it would fit *perfectly* with what I already have (the wings would arc halfway around the circular symbol I already have on my upper back, the rod & snakes extending between my shoulder blades)... but alas, I have to agree w Bacchus here. Having researched all this a while back, and being something of a symbolism/art history/mythology nerd, I personally am going to go with the RoA, as the more direct/traditional physician's symbol. BUT I think I'm going to save that one until I actually AM a physician (this is obviously personal preference, but for me it would feel like tempting fate to get it before it was "true").

YET I want *something* to mark getting into/beginning med school... thus, my mulling. Thoughts/suggestions? Kevon, I'm very curious about your helix... picture, if you're comfortable w that? Don't worry, no copycatting - I'm just sifting through images as inspiration. My long-term intention is, starting with the nape of my neck, to add personally-meaningful imagery down my spine as time/events go on... Pic forthcoming once I'm on my home computer (I don't mind, since my classmates will see them in OMM lab...or at beach parties, muahaha!).

Oh and someone posted about piercings, etc... I freaked out when I realized after my interview at LECOM-B that I'd forgotten to take out my (tiny) nose stud... But I'll be heading there in July so it mustn't have mattered to them that much! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Kind of blurry, but you get the picture. Its on the inside of my bicep, hidden by short sleeves, unless they are tight in the shoulders. Most of my scrub tops have done a good job of covering them up. The snake has a really bright green eye that you can't see in the picture either :).

tattoo.jpg

Oh, and I'd been wanting a tattoo since I had been accepted into med school, I just never knew what. I had this one in mind and almost a year and a half later I still wanted it, so I went and got it. Definitely not a spur of the moment decision. When I graduate I plan on getting the D and the O and I want something else behind it, I just don't know what yet.

You have to add the DO ... it looks way cooler.

Members don't see this ad :)
All in due time, my friends. It will be a treat for getting through all this crap and boards and rotations. A well deserved treat to myself. Along with lots of booze.

The top image (incl the first dot) is tattoo #2, the connecting dots and the larger circle are #3. Photo was taken day-of, thus the redness/irritation. To maintain some semblance of aesthetic continuity (and because I love the look), all further ink will be all-black, and also stark, stylized linework.

Now, how to proceed..? Hmm, decisions decisions... time to bust out the ol' sketchpad...

All in due time, my friends. It will be a treat for getting through all this crap and boards and rotations. A well deserved treat to myself. Along with lots of booze.

I know you know this, especially since your first tat was so long in the considering, but it bears oft' repeating: Be very cautious mixing tattoos and booze... ;)

Attachments

• tattoo small.jpg
    tattoo small.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 429
Hahaha, well, it will be at separate times. Not planning on getting drunk then going. Just getting that addition, as well as imbibing quite heavily for getting through med school :)

So, Frky. I too love the aesthetic of well done ink, having a half sleeve myself. Classmates typically don't care or have tattoos themselves. Professors may care, I had one ask if I got my tattoo "before, during, or after prison" during an OMM practical examination... both my partner and I were a bit shocked, but whatever. Ultimately though, during your first 2 years success is based on making the grade.

Clinical rotations gets a little trickier. Not for medicine-based rotations because you are always fully dressed in shirt, tie, coat, but for surgery where there is a scrub requirement, obviously tattoo is shown. This can, to a certain extent, be covered by long sleeves under scrubs. However, in the OR, my experience has been that you can wear nothing below the elbow. So, be ready to show a bit more skin while on surgery rotations. Also, as has been communicated to me, surgical residencies tend to be on the conservative side, so if you have an interest in pursuing surgery, be aware of that fact.

This isn't meant to discourage you, just giving you an idea of my experience.
Good luck. Hope it works out!

thanks SeaJH for the input of actual experience. I really appreciate it. I understand I will be looked down upon by some, and with certain rotations i will tread lightly. thanks again.

I wasn't sure what venue to post this is, so I thought I'd just bump this thread. I'm sure I'll take some crap but I don't care about the dissenters. I got this tattoo last night (after ~3 years of planning and waiting on an acceptance) and I thought I'd post it here since there a few others in the thread who have shared their tattoos. It's a bit red and swollen, since I took the photo and got it done last night. The image is resized because it was too large, so that explains the distortion.

Attachments

• DSC00022(1)RS2.jpg
    DSC00022(1)RS2.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 537
Last edited:
I wasn't sure what venue to post this is, so I thought I'd just bump this thread. I'm sure I'll take some crap but I don't care about the dissenters. I got this tattoo last night (after ~3 years of planning and waiting on an acceptance) and I thought I'd post it here since there a few others in the thread who have shared their tattoos. It's a bit red and swollen, since I took the photo and got it done last night. The image is resized because it was too large, so that explains the distortion.

Nice.:)

Strong work. It's a great feeling, no? Something lasting to mark all that effort... :thumbup:

Physio Doc Nice! :) I have my design ready to go I just need to find some one who does quality black/gray ink in my area.

I have tattoos down both arms, almost to the wrist on my right arm, and all the way to the wrist on my left (oh and across my chest too). So far, I have had overwhelmingly positive reactions to the tattoos, both from students and professors/doctors. I have done a lot of surgery shadowing, and I also had a surgical research fellowship, so my tattoos were obviously exposed quite a bit. The tattoos have actually benefitted me some too because anyone who has seen them never forgets me because they remember me as "the med student with the tattoos." The rule of thumb that I've adopded is that I always try to cover them when I am dealing with patients, so as soon as I leave the surgical suite, I throw on a white coat, no big deal. I have not had any patients react to them because, as far as I know, none have ever seen them. Reality is that people do judge, so I try not to let my tattoos hinder any therapeutic effect I may (or may not) have on a patient.

On a side note, I'm going to see my tattoo guy during spring break to continue working on my sleeve, can't wait!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have tattoos down both arms, almost to the wrist on my right arm, and all the way to the wrist on my left (oh and across my chest too). So far, I have had overwhelmingly positive reactions to the tattoos, both from students and professors/doctors. I have done a lot of surgery shadowing, and I also had a surgical research fellowship, so my tattoos were obviously exposed quite a bit. The tattoos have actually benefitted me some too because anyone who has seen them never forgets me because they remember me as "the med student with the tattoos." The rule of thumb that I've adopded is that I always try to cover them when I am dealing with patients, so as soon as I leave the surgical suite, I throw on a white coat, no big deal. I have not had any patients react to them because, as far as I know, none have ever seen them. Reality is that people do judge, so I try not to let my tattoos hinder any therapeutic effect I may (or may not) have on a patient.

On a side note, I'm going to see my tattoo guy during spring break to continue working on my sleeve, can't wait!

:thumbup: I so want a sleeve too.:D

That is NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone. I hadn't checked this thread in a while, but I appreciate all of the positive feedback.

Elf, to answer your question, yeah it does look different. It's cleaned up nicely. The skin was pretty inflamed for several days, though thankfully that's the worst my response was to the tattoo. I didn't get much scabbing and only a little peeling. It's all healed up now and I think it's looks fantastic. I waited 3 years for it and I'm glad I did it. Some may think it's toolish but it means something to me and that's all I care about.

so i'm thinking of getting a tattoo when i graduate med school. where would you all suggest putting it? i'd prefer it on my front side so i can see it easily and admire it for all its beauty :D. i was thinking maybe on my foot? so that it would really only show if i'm wearing sandals or ballet flats. i feel like it's such a stupid question, but i seem to have difficulty imagining tattoos in other places for me, so some input would be nice :oops:.

so i'm thinking of getting a tattoo when i graduate med school. where would you all suggest putting it? i'd prefer it on my front side so i can see it easily and admire it for all its beauty :D. i was thinking maybe on my foot? so that it would really only show if i'm wearing sandals or ballet flats. i feel like it's such a stupid question, but i seem to have difficulty imagining tattoos in other places for me, so some input would be nice :oops:.

I say go face or go home. It worked for Mike Tyson

:smuggrin:

Just make sure of one thing. If you get a tattoo with any words on it. Please be sure they are spelled correctly. I present you with example #1: Hayden panettiere doesn't know how to spell "to live without regrets" in italian. And now her regretful spelling is perma-painted on her body. Regret would be correctly spelled "rimpiante". Unclear what "rimipiante" is, but i figure its similar to the word "regiret"

hayden-panettiere-tattoo-misspelled.jpg

Yes something like that but a little more artsy ... Similar to this

tattoo_20070626_531.JPG

About 50% smaller and with the D in the upper left and the O in the lower right :D

I've got this on my forearm... No 'DO' because I thought it detracted from the simple flow of the graphic

Attachments

• rod of asclepius tattoo.jpg
    rod of asclepius tattoo.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 223
My best friend during my first two years had a personal goal to sleep with a guy with at least a half sleeve, preferably full. Just a thought. :)

During my surgery rotation one of the docs went on a very heated (and unprovoked) rant about tattoos and how they wreck the lymphatics and people who get them continually have problems with cellulitis, lymphangitis, etc., because nothing can drain properly. I've never heard anybody else say anything like this, but I haven't asked, so who knows. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Let me start by saying that I don't have a problem with most tattoos. I perform tissue recovery and I believe that many people are not aware that having a tattoo on your back prevents you from donating skin. If you have a little heart on your driver's license, denoting that you have consented to organ and tissue donation, tattoos on your arms and legs will likely be split with a scalpel. I hope this information does not discourage anybody from being an organ and tissue donor. I'm just not sure how many people are aware of this fact, or ever consider that a tattoo on your own body could prevent, say, a burn victim from receiving a skin graft. Please think about the difference you could make in the quality of life of a child who has suffered from a serious burn or a malforming accident that requires a skin graft before putting swirlies and dragon claws on your back.

Let me start by saying that I don't have a problem with most tattoos. I perform tissue recovery and I believe that many people are not aware that having a tattoo on your back prevents you from donating skin. If you have a little heart on your driver's license, denoting that you have consented to organ and tissue donation, tattoos on your arms and legs will likely be split with a scalpel. I hope this information does not discourage anybody from being an organ and tissue donor. I'm just not sure how many people are aware of this fact, or ever consider that a tattoo on your own body could prevent, say, a burn victim from receiving a skin graft. Please think about the difference you could make in the quality of life of a child who has suffered from a serious burn or a malforming accident that requires a skin graft before putting swirlies and dragon claws on your back.

So basically you're telling donors that they should live their life like they're preparing to be harvested. That should really increase participation.

I don't have tats (but, I do want a spine and ankle tats!) but I do have odd piercings ( True navel piercing, septum and.....yeah) :p

So basically you're telling donors that they should live their life like they're preparing to be harvested. That should really increase participation.

No. I see what you mean. I was just trying to increase awareness. Sorry if it came off in a combative tone. I don't think even tattoo artists are aware, or if they are, ever inform their clients. If I were deciding where to place a tattoo, I would be considerate of this fact.

No. I see what you mean. I was just trying to increase awareness. Sorry if it came off in a combative tone. I don't think even tattoo artists are aware, or if they are, ever inform their clients. If I were deciding where to place a tattoo, I would be considerate of this fact.

but the problem with that is the back is such a large and perfect canvas for a beautiful piece. when you want tattoo that says you REALLY love something (like angel wings) you need put it on your back to show you are an angel. or when you get a giant dragon people look at it and think, "that is a big and mighty dragon, the wearer of that tattoo must be incredible and awesome. i wish i was that awesome."

love it when my older threads get bumped. not worried about my sleeve anymore. more worried about getting enough money to get my other sleeve done.

There's nothing you can do about your sleeve, and it's great if you enjoy it. As you obviously know, you'll have to work around your sleeve so that it's not apparent when you're in doctor mode. I'd say just get used to long sleeve shirts and maybe wearing a watch or something on that wrist. Chances are you will be wearing a long sleeve shirt when working anyway. If that works to cover it, then you're golden.

I'm assuming you're wanting to apply to DO schools since you posted on this board. Know that you'll probably have to show your tattoos at some point during your clinical lab. There are people in my class with tattoos (I'm one) and it hasn't seemed to be a big deal. But, then again no one has the extent of tattooing you seem to have with your sleeve.

As for new tattoos, you will have to make the decision where to put them. You can easily put them where your patients will be less apt to see them. And that's just a choice that you have to make to be a doctor. It seems that you know that your patients may not appreciate seeing your tattoos. So, it might be a good compromise to put them where your patients can't see them and you can enjoy them when not working.

Bottom line, you have to look professional. But, you can't give up the things you enjoy to be a doctor, even though it can seem that the field pressures you to do just that. You have to find ways to do the things outside of medicine that you like to do. You might have to compromise though. Otherwise, you'll get burned out.

i disagree, everyone has to give up some things they enjoy to be a doc. for example, i used to enjoy sleeping.

love it when my older threads get bumped. not worried about my sleeve anymore. more worried about getting enough money to get my other sleeve done.

Pics?

Edit: I want to see Salora's too, if there are any new ones. That line art has to be one of the best I've ever seen.

My partner In OMM lab today had a full sleeve tattoo. It was very bright and multicolored. He also had a silver dollar sized tattoo on the back of his neck. All would be nearly invisible with a long sleeved shirt, but with short sleeves you would see this guy from 100 yards away.

I also remember seeing a tattoo on one of our OMM faculty.

thread bump.

here's my tattoo.

DSCN1017.jpg