Tattoos

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nickyfdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know veterinary has a forum on this, but they are talking more about being a vet and having tattoos; my question is, does having tattoos have a negative impact on vet school interviews or getting in?

I have almost a full left sleeve including a hand tattoo and my chest.

They are all tasteful, but I was curious if it will be frowned upon? My idea was to hide them and put heavy make up (specifically to hide tattoos) on my hand, but wearing a long sleeve in Arizona might indicate what I'm hiding lol.

Members don't see this ad.

I had considered getting one on my wrist, but my mom talked me out of that place just due to the profession. Though, a few people commented that a lot of students and professors at VMRCVM have visible tattoos. I have all of mine someplace I can easily hide them for professional things, but I'd love to utilize my full arm one day. I hope you find a good answer.

mis read the question. whoops

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think having visible tattoos during an interview could negatively impact the interview's opinion of you. I have tattoos myself, although they're easily covered by a short sleeved shirt. Unfortunately, we live in a very small minded world sometimes and people can be very set in their stereotypes. What you and I might consider personal displays of tasteful body art could be associated with drug use and crime in the mind of the interviewer. If you don't want to wear a long sleeved shirt, I believe there are cosmetic products sold specifically for temporary tattoo cover up.

There's probably no way to know for sure, but if you have a visible tattoo on your hand... well, you might as well go into it with a good attitude, try and impress them just the same, and see what happens. I have a hard time imagining a tattoo keeping a person out of vet school. I would hope not.

I have three tattoos. One in the middle of my back, which is rarely seen, one along the outside of my right foot/ankle, which is occasionally seen, and one on my inside left wrist. My wrist tattoo is very noticeable. I wear a watch at work, which does not cover it up well at all (I work in a clinic). I know my interviewers saw my tattoo, but I still got accepted first time applying. Although one wrist tattoo is quite different from a sleeve/hand tattoo, I did not have any issues or questions about my tattoo(s). I would find a suit jacket or something to tastefully cover the sleeve, but don't worry too much about the hand. You can apply make-up if it makes you feel like they may judge you, but I never felt judged.

I have full tats on my right and left shins (they're gigantic- approximately a foot in length). They are easily covered by any sort of pants (from jeans to khakis) but will be fully visible when I wear shorts, which I fully intend to do in the summer months should I be admitted to a school that doesn't have a dress code. Here are my feelings on body art: I would never parade around my place of employment with my tats showing (unless this was completely acceptable, as it currently is)- nor would I attend an interview in cargo shorts and a t-shirt so that the ad com members could admire the incredible artwork. That being said, I had better not cop any crap while I am on campus doing my own thing. I don't understand how me having tats interferes with my intellectual ability, scientific capabilities, etc. I'll challenge anyone on that, any time of day- bring it. That's just straight up discrimination. Vet school ad coms want to admit a diverse class, correct? Well, folks expressing themselves via body art is one of the ways that 'diversity' comes across in people. Again, I would never force it in an interview or on the job, but me out in the community enjoying my life, I LOVE my tats and I'm proud of them. They have a story, and I really enjoy telling folks about the history behind them whenever I'm asked. No embarrassment here. I wouldn't even think of covering them in a non-work related setting- that includes school (disclaimer- one with an unenforced dress-code).

I think that it could impact you negatively, depending on the interviewer. Kat Von D has some incredibly tattoo cover up that you should look into, prior to an interview.

I don't think you need to worry about long sleeves making it obvious what you're hiding. For one thing, interviews tend to be in January to March or so, not the heat of the summer. For another, I wore a long-sleeved blazer to all of my interviews (whether or not my shirt was long sleeved) just because I thought it looked professional.

Thanks a lot for all the advice!

I know where I work, at first it wasn't a huge deal, but this elderly, mean client (no one likes him cause he's super critical) made a huge stink my very first day.
I was handing back his dog at the end of the day and all he did was shake his head, said No, no no, you don't belong here... among other mean things and verbally beat me down within 5 seconds of even seeing me.

Then he went to corporate and complained. Now I'm forced to wear a long sleeve, but I am allowed to have it rolled up and me and that client never come in contact with each other.

I have been looking at the Kat Von D stuff, I'm gonna buy some closer to next year and play with it to see if it will cover up my hand (which is a bright green tattoo of Gir from Invader Zim lol)

Thanks again guys! :)

Wow, both of those were intense! Especially zombie boy! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the dermablend. I used it for a very formal wedding to cover my ankle and foot. It was a little pricey (for a college kid, I guess) but it was totally worth it.

I went to a family function a few weeks later and ppl kept asking me when I got tattoos. Lol.

The stigma around tats is unfortunate, but it is a reality.

If you do decide to cover them for the interview, are you planning to do so throughout vet school? I guess once you're in it doesnt matter much, but people may feel animosity about admitting you under false pretenses? If that makes sense? Not saying I agree with it, but it is something I would think about.

I have the dermablend. I used it for a very formal wedding to cover my ankle and foot. It was a little pricey (for a college kid, I guess) but it was totally worth it.

I went to a family function a few weeks later and ppl kept asking me when I got tattoos. Lol.

The stigma around tats is unfortunate, but it is a reality.

If you do decide to cover them for the interview, are you planning to do so throughout vet school? I guess once you're in it doesnt matter much, but people may feel animosity about admitting you under false pretenses? If that makes sense? Not saying I agree with it, but it is something I would think about.

That's absolutely ridiculous. If someone actually wants to think that then go ahead and let them. There's a difference between having a care to present yourself professionally to others and pandering to idiocy.

What, do people never get tattoos the summer before vet school? Or would schools be upset about admitting those people under 'false pretenses' too?

I totally understand that there is a stigma, but I don't think it's worth worrying about covering them throughout vet school.

What, do people never get tattoos the summer before vet school? Or would schools be upset about admitting those people under 'false pretenses' too?

I totally understand that there is a stigma, but I don't think it's worth worrying about covering them throughout vet school.

People get them during vet school too. Same thing with piercings. Most schools have a dress code that addresses tattoos and piercings. I say email the schools and ask about it, then when you interview, abide by their dress code standards for piercings and tattoos... Really, I don't think it will be a big problem. OP, even being in AZ, I hope when you interview you will wear a professional suit, which is long-sleeved. Also, there was a tech that I worked with who had a tattoo on her arm (I was working in AZ) and she would wear long sleeves at work to keep it covered, I honestly never thought twice about it.

That's absolutely ridiculous. If someone actually wants to think that then go ahead and let them. There's a difference between having a care to present yourself professionally to others and pandering to idiocy.

I don't agree with it. But, I have been told this by an employer once (if they knew about my tattoos I wouldn't have been hired) this is why I said this. The animosity I encountered over this was insane. I ended up in a meeting with an HR person and the lady who hired me and quit as soon as I could. If I wanted to keep my job (which I needed) then I had to pander. It is ridiculous, but it happens.

Last edited:
I don't agree with it. But, I have been told this by an employer once (if they knew about my tattoos I wouldn't have been hired) this is why I said this. It is ridiculous, but it happens.

Honestly, as long as you can cover up anything offensive, I don't see what the big deal is. I mean, if you have a naked lady tattooed on your hand and can't cover it, then yeah, you will have problems, but if you have a star on your wrist that is hard to cover, who cares. As long as you dress appropriately and professionally and don't have any racy tattoos or incredibly ridiculous piercings (keeping in mind that piercings in a vet clinic can be a health hazard to yourself), you should be fine on an interview or in a job. I would hire someone with tattoos as long as inappropriate ones can be fully covered. Kind of sad that your employer thinks otherwise, but it does happen.

Apply to Colorado State. They like interesting characters. I know several vet students with sleeves and gauged-out ears and CSU seems to actively seek that particular brand of diversity.

Honestly, as long as you can cover up anything offensive, I don't see what the big deal is. I mean, if you have a naked lady tattooed on your hand and can't cover it, then yeah, you will have problems, but if you have a star on your wrist that is hard to cover, who cares. As long as you dress appropriately and professionally and don't have any racy tattoos or incredibly ridiculous piercings (keeping in mind that piercings in a vet clinic can be a health hazard to yourself), you should be fine on an interview or in a job. I would hire someone with tattoos as long as inappropriate ones can be fully covered. Kind of sad that your employer thinks otherwise, but it does happen.

All of mine are pretty easy to conceal with scrubs and a watch. This, ironically was when I was hired at a surf/souvenir buisiness, of all places. Most of our customer base had tattoos. I wore pants for the interview to be professional. When I showed up on my first day I was wearing shorts (was allowed) and it hit the fan. She thought I intentionally wore pants to hide them (?) and apparently that offended her. That whole buisiness was quacked out and I ended up a hiring manager after she got caught stealing parking money. Lol. But I was the criminal.

All of mine are pretty easy to conceal with scrubs and a watch. This, ironically was when I was hired at a surf/souvenir buisiness, of all places. Most of our customer base had tattoos. I wore pants for the interview to be professional. When I showed up on my first day I was wearing shorts (was allowed) and it hit the fan. She thought I intentionally wore pants to hide them (?) and apparently that offended her. That whole buisiness was quacked out and I ended up a hiring manager after she got caught stealing parking money. Lol. But I was the criminal.

:laugh:

Wow, guess she would have been mad at me too, with my ankle tattoo, because I would have shown up to interview in long pants in order to look professional.

I have 5 tats, 2 of which are on my feet. I didn't wear socks or tights or anything to cover them up during interviews. I got many compliments on one of them, including from admission staff.

I will echo wearing longer sleeves (like a jacket) to your interview but don't think makeup is needed for the wrist tattoo.

No, I don't intend on covering my tattoos once I'm in, for classes anyways. For rotations definitely! Although, my hand tattoo is kind of a pain...

My plan is to always contact the head of the rotation or who I'll be working with to see if it will be an issue.

When people ask me about my hand tattoo I explain it's a robot dog from a cartoon and identifies with my 'need' to be a vet. Most clients than accept it right away...
Actually I have a husky named Gir and a beagle mix named Nibbler. Nibbler was gonna go on my right hand, but I'm holding off for now lol.

I do plan on trying at CSU, maybe Pomona, Oregan etc... I think MWU likes diversity too, but I probably have more tattoos than their used to. Originally, I planned on having full sleeves, my legs, my back, my chest, my hips etc done. I definitely want sleeves, eventually! Maybe when I'm more established lol. I love tattoos.
My boyfriend who is a 4th year med student at MWU has that cool rocker hair and he thinks he got in cause he identified himself as a local musician and it was different than the normal overachieving types. (not that he had a bad GPA, it was a 3.8 in undergrad, his final GPA for med school is 3.97) I'm jelly of him, he applied to one school, got in his first time trying, but med school is probably easier to get into lol.

I had considered getting one on my wrist, but my mom talked me out of that place just due to the profession. Though, a few people commented that a lot of students and professors at VMRCVM have visible tattoos. I have all of mine someplace I can easily hide them for professional things, but I'd love to utilize my full arm one day. I hope you find a good answer.

Haha, I'm one of those and getting a bigger, more visible one soon:) I didn't know we had a reputation...
One of our parasit professors has Giardia trophozoite tattoo :laugh:

nickyfdoc- I do make an effort to wear pants (covering ankle tat) and sleeves (to cover up a shoulder/bicep piece) for professional situations, including my interview. The 1/2 sleeve I'm soon getting will stop at "scrub sleeve length" for the same reason. But in class and just around school, I don't really make any effort to cover up.
I understand your concerns though. While mistaken preconceptions about us heavily tatt-ed folks are still prevalent, that is changing. Changing in part because we are less shy about them and are achieving at high levels. However, vet medicine is in part a customer service business. It is important to consider the comfort level of our clients, and to consider how our medical advice will be received if a client can't see past our tattoos. Adcoms/interview faculty will be thinking about that. I would suggest wearing appropriate, professional clothes for your interview, covering up as much as possible but not using make up for the rest. Not only would it be (IMO) disingenuous but I think unnecessary. A bit of a wrist/hand tat poking out of a sleeve is a lot less "offensive" than seeing your whole sleeve.
Besides, once in clinics wearing make up over it everyday isn't really practical. You should represent yourself for who you are. The adcoms should know who they are accepting into their program. If a tattoo is the difference between getting in or not, it may be that school isn't for you. And it may indicate that the administration and faulty won't be accepting of you while you're there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I understand your concerns though. While mistaken preconceptions about us heavily tatt-ed folks are still prevalent, that is changing. Changing in part because we are less shy about them and are achieving at high levels. However, vet medicine is in part a customer service business. It is important to consider the comfort level of our clients, and to consider how our medical advice will be received if a client can't see past our tattoos. Adcoms/interview faculty will be thinking about that. I would suggest wearing appropriate, professional clothes for your interview, covering up as much as possible but not using make up for the rest. Not only would it be (IMO) disingenuous but I think unnecessary. A bit of a wrist/hand tat poking out of a sleeve is a lot less "offensive" than seeing your whole sleeve.

+1

Well said.

I do plan on trying at CSU, maybe Pomona, Oregan etc...

o___o

o_____O

O______________O

spongebob-wtf.gif

...just kidding. Sorry, I had to :p

^ hahaha (missed a couple :p )

I have tats - wrist/forearm, foot, back, neck - and a nose piercing (teeny-tiny diamond stud) and have never had a potential employer, parent (I do a lot of babysitting) or adcom ever bat an eye. I actually get compliments on how "cute and subtle" my nose stud is and how pretty my tats are. I guess it has to do with overall appearance: My make-up is understated, my hair is simply highlighted and styled, my clothes are very "Ann Taylor-esque", my nails are short and clean... That said, unless a tat is potentially offensive or is otherwise blatantly unprofessional (no naked pin-ups or decapitated bodies), just dress professionally, speak properly, be friendly and show that you are a polished adult ;)

Great topic :cool: I was wondering about this myself. I have three tatts - one on each ankle and one on my shoulder. All are easily hidden and all are of animals that have had important impacts on my life. While I probably won't use tattoo cover up/makeup on them at my interview, they will likely be hidden by clothing anyway.

This is kind of off-topic but it's tattoo related.

It's ridiculously hot and humid in Wisconsin today so I'm wearing a sundress with a cardigan on top for work (I work in HR). My boss comes by and is like "Aren't you hot in that cardigan?". I told her I was but I have a tattoo on my back I want to cover (since some of the higher ups are way judgey). She's all "You have a tattoo?" and I'm like, "Actually I have 5." Her face was priceless.

I have multiple tattoos, and two are visible in short sleeves. One is just on my upper arm near my shoulder, the other covers most of my upper arm (not quite to the elbow). They were covered for my vet school and residency interviews because I was wearing a suit. Once in vet school, no one ever said anything while I was attending class. On clinics, my arm tattoos were almost always visible, especially in professional short sleeves blouses. The one was visible in scrubs. Not one person said a word about it the entire year. And I just started my residency three weeks ago with my tattoos visible every day (the East coast is BAKING right now!), and again, no one has said a word. :)

FWIW the vet I take my own cats to (and who is basically my vet idol) has a huge, full back tattoo. She is awesome and I just found this out recently since obviously she wears a white coat at work. :cool:

Lol! Sooooo I finally got my boyfriend to give me the grand tour of MWU (he's a 4th year med student there) and I got the courage to pop into administration and actually introduce myself (I'm very shy, initially by the way! After I meet you you can't get me to shut up lol)

I met the assistant dean and the dean... And at first the assistant dean was heavily eyeing up my tattoos (I was wearing a semi-long sleeve shirt, like one of those baseball type shirts, but you could still see my lower arm (which is of my dad and I) and my hand tattoo and I think the top of my chest tattoo lol.

And the dean did see them.

We ended up having a great 20-30 minute conversation. At first I was like some giddy fan girl, but eventually it was smoother, they were talking about their plans. I said mine! It was super awesome! They said to feel free to pop in whenever! :)

Kinda off topic from tattoos, but relevant all the same, they said I had a great shot in getting in and still noticed my tattoos lol.

I seriously left feeling like a million bucks and on cloud 9... Totally reminded why I'm doing this and how badly I want this! I probably came off completely eccentric (my boyfriend said 'giddy') but that's okay! Lol! I told them they can remember me by my tattoos if they need too! Lol.

I could still dance around the house btw. I'm actually excited to do my homework tonight (PS, whoever convinced me to do 2 summer classes... I'm gonna beat em! Oh wait, that was me -.-). I've really been feeling the burn out! 2 more weeks! Let's do this! Lol. :D:D:D

This whole thread is no good without tattoo photo share....

I keep coming in.... getting bummed out.... and then leaving.......

Like you all are so damn serious..... yes you can get into vet school with tattoos... hell most clinics I have worked at in the past had no issues with my tattoos....

Sure if the school interviews, wear suitable interview attire - I think that is common sense. But I don't think tattoos would keep you out of vet school, animal abuse sure as hell will, felonies might, ya know..... going into an interview reeking of booze perhaps.... :laugh: But tattoos.... I don't think so....

Where the FECK are all the tattoo pictures?!?!?!?!?!

:mad:

Wow. That's gorgeous, Abney! Beautiful! :thumbup: I hope you have someone to help put ointment on that for you lol

Thank you. I was such a wuss when he did the lower wing. And no! I live alone! I have to do a contortionist act to get the ointment on there!

Thank you. I was such a wuss when he did the lower wing. And no! I live alone! I have to do a contortionist act to get the ointment on there!

Pssst, use a spatula. :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user