You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
piercings and tattoos
Started by ckurtzzz
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I also have a nose piercing and was going to take it out for the interview anyway. Thankfully I have tons of freckles so the random hole in my nose just looks like another freckle lol
Dyed hair that's still interested realm of natural colours is usually okay. I wouldn't see an issue with this.My hair is currently ombre black to light brown/blonde should I dye it all one color??
Likewise, a small nose stud shouldn't be an issue. It's a pretty common piercing these days.I also have a nose piercing and was going to take it out for the interview anyway. Thankfully I have tons of freckles so the random hole in my nose just looks like another freckle lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I went back and reread parts of that Facebook post. Oh the lolz.
I have a small cz in my nostril, which I left in for my interviews. I removed my labret and hid my stretched lobes and tattoos. I've been told I probably didn't have to do all that for penn and many of my profs have shown me their tattoos and complimented my piercings.
That said, if I had to do it all over again, I'd still hide my unusual piercings and all of my tattoos. It just isn't worth the risk. You've worked hard to get that interview, don't blow it over a cool hairstyle, piercing or tattoos. Vet med tends to be fairly accepting of these things, but you don't know if some of the adcoms may still hold traditional professional appearance opinions.
That said, if I had to do it all over again, I'd still hide my unusual piercings and all of my tattoos. It just isn't worth the risk. You've worked hard to get that interview, don't blow it over a cool hairstyle, piercing or tattoos. Vet med tends to be fairly accepting of these things, but you don't know if some of the adcoms may still hold traditional professional appearance opinions.
Someone please link it!
Fine. lol. On it.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/APVMAprevet/search/?query=piercing
Scroll down to Marilize Van der Walt
Scroll down to Marilize Van der Walt
I also have a nose piercing and was going to take it out for the interview anyway. Thankfully I have tons of freckles so the random hole in my nose just looks like another freckle lol
I love freckles. That is all.
Freckles are also the absolute best for when you get a minor break out. I understand exactly what you are talking about. So many people hate their freckles, but I think they are great!I also have a nose piercing and was going to take it out for the interview anyway. Thankfully I have tons of freckles so the random hole in my nose just looks like another freckle lol
https://www.facebook.com/groups/APVMAprevet/search/?query=piercing
Scroll down to Marilize Van der Walt
Thanks for the entertainment. 🤣
I love how that Heidi person dealt with her. She was super nice yet she said it like it is. I have a lot of respect for people like that.
I love how that Heidi person dealt with her. She was super nice yet she said it like it is. I have a lot of respect for people like that.
It's a gift I don't possess. I'm way too upfront.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's a gift I don't possess. I'm way too upfront.
Me neither. It's actually one of the things I'm learning about right now. I've been studying up on customer service and, more specifically, how to deal with difficult customers. Wow...it's helping me deal with everybody xD I am getting so much more compliance out of my family now that I am figuring out how this all works xD
Me neither. It's actually one of the things I'm learning about right now. I've been studying up on customer service and, more specifically, how to deal with difficult customers. Wow...it's helping me deal with everybody xD I am getting so much more compliance out of my family now that I am figuring out how this all works xD
In a customer setting, in actually pretty good. But one on one communication with a peer, my no nonsense attitude comes out hard.
In a customer setting, in actually pretty good. But one on one communication with a peer, my no nonsense attitude comes out hard.
I hear ya. I can emphasize with most people, when I want to, but it's really hard to do with some in my family, namely my mother. Maybe it's because we have such different points of view and because I see her a lot. But yeah, I'm usually very blunt with her and it does me no favors because she usually rejects the message and does what she wants. :/ I'm having a lot more success now that I know how to use things like partial agreement to get us both on the same side.
For instance, one time when I went with her and her dog to the vet, she was thinking about declining the tests because she thinks tests are just the vet's way of ripping her off. I said something like, "I agree that tests are expensive and I don't like paying for them either, but I get them because they help the vet pick the right treatment. They can look at the dog and feel around, but that only tells them so much. There could be 100 different things that could cause those symptoms. So they use tests to reveal the culprit." And then I was able to get her to agree to tests.
(Please forgive my novice attempt at explaining why vets test. That is my non-vet understanding 😛)
But it is so easy for me to fall back into my blunt way of dealing with her. Where I just tell her she's wrong, this is what she needs to do, and that's that. Old habits die hard, I guess. But oh well. Progress, not perfection! I am getting better and that's what matters <3
I can't speak for every school, but at Penn and Midwestern, my small nose stud was not an issue. If in doubt, take it out.I have a nose ring on the one side... Would you suggest changing it to a small stud on interview days? Or taking it out completely?
I can't speak for every school, but at Penn and Midwestern, my small nose stud was not an issue. If in doubt, take it out.
Thank you! I applied to Penn so I will (hopefully) be interviewing there at some point in the future.
Freckles are also the absolute best for when you get a minor break out. I understand exactly what you are talking about. So many people hate their freckles, but I think they are great!
You have freckles too!?!? 😍
https://www.facebook.com/groups/APVMAprevet/search/?query=piercing
Scroll down to Marilize Van der Walt
What a phenomenal ass. With an impressive degree of know-it-all. Just give it time. Reality will happen.
What a phenomenal ass. With an impressive degree of know-it-all. Just give it time. Reality will happen.
It's really disappointing to me that she's actually in the program with that kind of attitude. I feel like that entire discussion shows she doesn't have a high maturity level.
It's really disappointing to me that she's actually in the program with that kind of attitude. I feel like that entire discussion shows she doesn't have a high maturity level.
Eh, she'll learn once clinics (and actual job hunting) roll around, if not before.
It's really disappointing to me that she's actually in the program with that kind of attitude. I feel like that entire discussion shows she doesn't have a high maturity level.
Are you sure she got in and wasn't lying about it?
I FB stalked her a little today, and it appears she really did get in.Are you sure she got in and wasn't lying about it?
I FB stalked her a little today, and it appears she really did get in.
Ha, glad I'm not the only one who did that 😛
Hopefully she's a nicer/more mature person than she came across in those posts. She'd be a real peach to have as a class mate if she's really like that....
I FB stalked her a little today, and it appears she really did get in.
Totes was about to say that I Facebook stalked her. Lol.
Hopefully she's a nicer/more mature person than she came across in those posts. She'd be a real peach to have as a class mate if she's really like that....
Curious: Those of you who are/have attended vet school, have you had a classmate like that?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Curious: Those of you who are/have attended vet school, have you had a classmate like that?
Yes. Worse than that.
Oh yes. There's always a few in each class no matter what I think. Makes me want to see what their interview was like. Thankfully, these people aren't the majority and most people are easy to get along with in my experience.Curious: Those of you who are/have attended vet school, have you had a classmate like that?
Think of vet school as high school in terms of peers. You're in a small group (sometimes smaller than some HS classes), everyone gets to know everyone, and everyone is the best at everything. They all know so much (partial sarcasm), especially in the first semester. You will have the person who shouts out answers to prof's questions, rhetorical or not (we have one that shouts out answers that are completely wrong, then quietly accuses the prof of being wrong). You will have the person who is an 'expert' at tail blood draws because she did it once before. You will have the person who always asks the prof to go into crazy detail beyond what we need to know because "she's just curious" or "finds this material sooooo interesting." You will get to know a lot of great people, but it is inevitable that there will be a few people that you just cannot stand. Some people may grow out of it over four years, others will not. Some genuinely have no clue that they come off as a complete @$$. That one can be hard to fix.Curious: Those of you who are/have attended vet school, have you had a classmate like that?
Think of vet school as high school in terms of peers. You're in a small group (sometimes smaller than some HS classes), everyone gets to know everyone, and everyone is the best at everything. They all know so much (partial sarcasm), especially in the first semester. You will have the person who shouts out answers to prof's questions, rhetorical or not (we have one that shouts out answers that are completely wrong, then quietly accuses the prof of being wrong). You will have the person who is an 'expert' at tail blood draws because she did it once before. You will have the person who always asks the prof to go into crazy detail beyond what we need to know because "she's just curious" or "finds this material sooooo interesting." You will get to know a lot of great people, but it is inevitable that there will be a few people that you just cannot stand. Some people may grow out of it over four years, others will not. Some genuinely have no clue that they come off as a complete @$$. That one can be hard to fix.
SO TRUE. I'm that kid who looks extra things up on google because I really am curious, but I don't want to ask the teacher and have everyone think I'm a suck up and hate me... Lol. One of my greatest weaknesses is "people pleaser" because the idea of being eternally hated by everyone is awful!
I watch a show on nat geo wild called "Vet School". There is one person on there who is perfect at everything they do and is loved by all the profs. I'm happy for that person, but also secretly wonder what it would be like to be their classmate (because who knows who they had to push out of the way, or what they had to do to be that experienced and perfect). It's a hard balance of if you want to have friends vs if you want to be a suck up who gets to do more than the others. Sometimes at work I realllyyyyyy want to perform some procedure or scrub in or help with something special, but you gotta give other people a chance to get in there too because you're not the only one with certain goals!
SO TRUE. I'm that kid who looks extra things up on google because I really am curious, but I don't want to ask the teacher and have everyone think I'm a suck up and hate me... Lol. One of my greatest weaknesses is "people pleaser" because the idea of being eternally hated by everyone is awful!
I watch a show on nat geo wild called "Vet School". There is one person on there who is perfect at everything they do and is loved by all the profs. I'm happy for that person, but also secretly wonder what it would be like to be their classmate (because who knows who they had to push out of the way, or what they had to do to be that experienced and perfect). It's a hard balance of if you want to have friends vs if you want to be a suck up who gets to do more than the others. Sometimes at work I realllyyyyyy want to perform some procedure or scrub in or help with something special, but you gotta give other people a chance to get in there too because you're not the only one with certain goals!
Lol, that tv show isn't all that great. And it's tv, the clinicians on there have loved everyone so far.
I'm still waiting for them to show the 4th year student doing 3 hours of paperwork and the first years spending 4 hours in anatomy lab. But that doesn't make good tv, so it won't happen.
Think of vet school as high school in terms of peers. You're in a small group (sometimes smaller than some HS classes), everyone gets to know everyone, and everyone is the best at everything. They all know so much (partial sarcasm), especially in the first semester. You will have the person who shouts out answers to prof's questions, rhetorical or not (we have one that shouts out answers that are completely wrong, then quietly accuses the prof of being wrong). You will have the person who is an 'expert' at tail blood draws because she did it once before. You will have the person who always asks the prof to go into crazy detail beyond what we need to know because "she's just curious" or "finds this material sooooo interesting." You will get to know a lot of great people, but it is inevitable that there will be a few people that you just cannot stand. Some people may grow out of it over four years, others will not. Some genuinely have no clue that they come off as a complete @$$. That one can be hard to fix.
Do most people not have these people in undergrad classes? I had someone in 5 (5!) classes who was both the person who shouted out answers to any question, and asked ridiculous question that were far beyond the realms of the class/not relevant to the class because they were "curious".
They came to one of my classes with a friend of theirs for some reason, and did all these things as well. Even though they weren't in the class. My eye literally twitched when I heard their voice again haha
I'm sure these types of people will be even worse in vet school classes though 😛
Lol, that tv show isn't all that great. And it's tv, the clinicians on there have loved everyone so far.
I'm still waiting for them to show the 4th year student doing 3 hours of paperwork and the first years spending 4 hours in anatomy lab. But that doesn't make good tv, so it won't happen.
****
I also watch Dr. K exotic animal vet and like that one a lot better. I tried to get into Dr. Pol's show but wasn't a huge fan. I record them all at a friend's house and marathon watch them about every once a month! I'm surprised by how many little things I learn from them!
We have one that tries to convince the profs are wrong in front of the entire class. Always makes me want to facepalmThink of vet school as high school in terms of peers. You're in a small group (sometimes smaller than some HS classes), everyone gets to know everyone, and everyone is the best at everything. They all know so much (partial sarcasm), especially in the first semester. You will have the person who shouts out answers to prof's questions, rhetorical or not (we have one that shouts out answers that are completely wrong, then quietly accuses the prof of being wrong). You will have the person who is an 'expert' at tail blood draws because she did it once before. You will have the person who always asks the prof to go into crazy detail beyond what we need to know because "she's just curious" or "finds this material sooooo interesting." You will get to know a lot of great people, but it is inevitable that there will be a few people that you just cannot stand. Some people may grow out of it over four years, others will not. Some genuinely have no clue that they come off as a complete @$$. That one can be hard to fix.
Do most people not have these people in undergrad classes? I had someone in 5 (5!) classes who was both the person who shouted out answers to any question, and asked ridiculous question that were far beyond the realms of the class/not relevant to the class because they were "curious".
They came to one of my classes with a friend of theirs for some reason, and did all these things as well. Even though they weren't in the class. My eye literally twitched when I heard their voice again haha
I'm sure these types of people will be even worse in vet school classes though 😛
Ugh. A lot of these people in my classes are pre med and are referred to as "gunners". I wonder if they see how bothersome they are to other students?? Lol
Ugh. A lot of these people in my classes are pre med and are referred to as "gunners". I wonder if they see how bothersome they are to other students?? Lol
I swear they're always premed!
****
I also watch Dr. K exotic animal vet and like that one a lot better. I tried to get into Dr. Pol's show but wasn't a huge fan. I record them all at a friend's house and marathon watch them about every once a month! I'm surprised by how many little things I learn from them!
Dr. Pol needs to have his license revoked.
Dr. Pol needs to have his license revoked.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks his methods are... Outdated and not safe. I almost died when he had the owner hold their fully grown dog's head down while he snipped the end of his mangled tail off (with giant nail clippers). My SO thought I was have a heart attack and ran in the room when I gasped and yelled "WTF?!"
Edit: just thinking about it... No gloves, no clipping/cleaning, no scrubbing, no nothing. I don't even know if the dog was sedated. Definitely not fully, since the owner was told to hold his head down. For a partial tail amputation. So bad :/
Last edited:
sometimes smaller than some HS classes
My high school class was 590. Lol. I went to a school of 2500. So definitely smaller than my high school class.
Did anyone ever watch Aloha Vet? I liked that show. Shame Dr. Sims died over the summer though.
@pinkpuppy9 @WhtsThFrequency Sigh. I figured I should probably go normal for the interview... brown it is... blue later. Well maybe the world can't handle the crazy piercing, coloured hair, and tattoos now, but maybe it will be acceptable in 80 years or so when I'm 100 and still practicing....haha 100 year old with bright blue hair finally will get respect.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Think of vet school as high school in terms of peers.
We had several people (myself included) who called vet school "OVC High" because of the social situation (not the academic situation!), and I found myself frequently wondering "How old are you (I thought you were supposed to be a grown up by now)?"
@pinkpuppy9 @WhtsThFrequency Sigh. I figured I should probably go normal for the interview... brown it is... blue later. Well maybe the world can't handle the crazy piercing, coloured hair, and tattoos now, but maybe it will be acceptable in 80 years or so when I'm 100 and still practicing....haha 100 year old with bright blue hair finally will get respect.
I feel ya. I think things are getting better but we still have a ways to go.
I feel ya. I think things are getting better but we still have a ways to go.
*bright hair fist bump*
My undergrad classes tended to be huge (400+), so it was pretty rare for someone to openly behave that way. I'm sure the people were there, though! I met a few people who got under my skin outside of classes or in smaller groups like labs.Do most people not have these people in undergrad classes? I had someone in 5 (5!) classes who was both the person who shouted out answers to any question, and asked ridiculous question that were far beyond the realms of the class/not relevant to the class because they were "curious".
They came to one of my classes with a friend of theirs for some reason, and did all these things as well. Even though they weren't in the class. My eye literally twitched when I heard their voice again haha
I'm sure these types of people will be even worse in vet school classes though 😛
As for now, we have one girl who, whenever she pipes up, the entire class collectively eye-rolls. She genuinely doesn't seem to know that she comes off as arrogant, so I feel kinda bad for her. I always treat people nicely no matter what, though. We have some in our class that are openly mean to certain people and that rubs me the wrong way just as much as being annoying does.
My undergrad classes tended to be huge (400+), so it was pretty rare for someone to openly behave that way. I'm sure the people were there, though! I met a few people who got under my skin outside of classes or in smaller groups like labs.
This person was in my gen chem, ochem, and my bio intro classes lectures. They were anywhere from 350-700 people, and they still did it. They had no shame haha
I can't even imagine how they would have been in lab or smaller classes!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 581
D
- Replies
- 9
- Views
- 1K
D