Tax Question regarding a short sale

Started by p9142
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

p9142

UR out of your element!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Will someone please explain how capital gains work with short sales? I am using H&R Block TaxCut software, and it doesn't seem to change my federal tax amount no-matter what value I enter for a short sale. If I enter that I profitted $100,000 my taxes stay the same, and if I enter that I lost $100 it is also the same.

In reality I lost around $400 from a short sale, and was hoping that this would offset some of the gains I had from regular sales. Is there something special about short sales where they don't affect your taxes?

The settlement date was not after December 31st. I am really confused. If I tell the TaxCut software that it was not a short sale, by changing the disposition type to "No Special Type" it accounts for the gain or loss. Does anyone know if the disposition type matters for the Schedule D (Form 1040.)