Tax Return Question

Started by Blitz2006
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Blitz2006

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, I'm a PGY2 resident

I signed up/paid for a conference in November 2015, but the actual conference next month, March 2016.

Am I allowed to claim it on my upcoming tax return since I paid for it in 2015? Or can I not because the actual conference is in 2016?

Thanks,
 
Most individuals file on a cash basis, so the deduction is taken in the year paid. But....

To claim unreimbursed W-2 employee expenses:

  1. You must itemize your deductions (keep in mind the standard deduction is $6300), and,
  2. Only that amount that exceeds the 2% AGI threshold is deductible.
    1. Meaning if your AGI = $53k, then the 1st $1,060 of your conference expenses are excluded.
You're probably better off with the standard deduction.
 
Last edited:
Meaning if your AGI = $53k, then the 1st $106 of your conference expenses are excluded.

I think there's a typo there. You meant, the first $1,060.

And I agree. It's unlikely that OP would have deductions exceeding the standard $6300, especially when the first $1060 of miscellaneous deductions won't count.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad