TBR CBT 2 PS Passage II Question 8

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dennis-brodmann

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This question pertains to the pendulum system of passage II.

Here is the answer explanation as to why D is correct.
Choices A and C can be eliminated immediately, because both of them depict systems in which only one of the two balls is displaced.

I get this since W=∆E. In this case ∆E=m*g*∆h, but m represents total mass.

In choice B (System I), the center of mass when the system is at rest is lower than for choice D (System II), so that point is displaced by a greater distance when System I is moved by the same angular amount as System II. The greater the displacement of the center of mass, the greater the change in the potential energy of the system.

This portion of the explanation confuses me in two ways: (i) because in Choice B, I thought the center of mass was HIGHER since the larger of the two masses is higher and (ii) they called Choice B (System I) but from the passage, this choice would represent System II.

Is there a mislabeling in the answer choices?
 
Although I agree there is a mislabeling in the explanation, I believe the answer is still D.

The center of mass is lower for choice D (compared to choice B) and because they are both displaced by the same angle, the total displacement for Choice D will be greater. Think of the extremes. say the center of mass for "choice b" is at the very top, right where the rope is attached to the bar... the rope is barely displaced.

However, at the end of the rope (when center of mass is lower) the object swings through the maximum distance, and thus will have the greatest change in potential energy.