• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

bdc142

7+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hi,
Can someone explain #10 on page 144? (Question about electrophorsis).

I don't get why the bands wouldn't just run off towards B+ aka answer B: The bands ran diagonally off the gel's left side.

Thanks!

bdc142

7+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
TBR's answer is that:

If you load an agarose gel backwards (aka wells are at the positive electrodes), there won't be ANY migration of DNA at all.

Can anyone tell me why?

chiddler

10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
TBR's answer is that:

If you load an agarose gel backwards (aka wells are at the positive electrodes), there won't be ANY migration of DNA at all.

Can anyone tell me why?

i'm not looking at the same figure you are so not sure if this will help, but in the lab, loading the gel backwards would cause the band to ruck backwards. since there isn't much room for backwards movement, it'll quickly be run off the gel into solution.

bdc142

7+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
i'm not looking at the same figure you are so not sure if this will help, but in the lab, loading the gel backwards would cause the band to ruck backwards. since there isn't much room for backwards movement, it'll quickly be run off the gel into solution.

Yeah that's what I thought too. I guess TBR is wrong.

About the Ads

Dasypus

Apr 25, 2011
Status (Visible)
I don't have the passage in front of me, so I'm a bit confused, but I'd like to understand what's at stake here. DNA is negatively charged. If you load it right next to something positive, it should be attracted to it and hang tight, right?

bdc142

7+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I don't have the passage in front of me, so I'm a bit confused, but I'd like to understand what's at stake here. DNA is negatively charged. If you load it right next to something positive, it should be attracted to it and hang tight, right?

Yeah, so I guess this question was just nitpicky: it asks 'why doesn't the scientist see bands migrate properly?". I said it was because it ran off the wrong way (because the electrode placements are on the opposite side). The answer is because the scientist put the wells on the wrong side.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.