TBR physics buoyancy explanation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hemorrage

Ambrose
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
On page 62 of TBR physics 2, the solution for the example problem says the following.

"Because ball A and ball C have the same volume they experience the same buoyant force"

How is this possible? B is defined as the product of the density of the fluid, volume displaced and gravity. Density and g are constant but A sinks while C floats. So the volumes displaced must be different. Can someone explain this?

Members don't see this ad.

On page 62 of TBR physics 2, the solution for the example problem says the following.

"Because ball A and ball C have the same volume they experience the same buoyant force"

How is this possible? B is defined as the product of the density of the fluid, volume displaced and gravity. Density and g are constant but A sinks while C floats. So the volumes displaced must be different. Can someone explain this?

The problem stem asks what's true of the balls when they're all submerged. So buoyant force is the same across all three balls. Weight is different, which accounts for their behavior floating, sinking or staying stationary.

The problem stem asks what's true of the balls when they're all submerged. So buoyant force is the same across all three balls. Weight is different, which accounts for their behavior floating, sinking or staying stationary.

Oh *slaps self*. Thanks. Think I'm losing my mind

Avoiding careless mistakes is so important on this exam. I just saw your scores Sisko and have say congratulations. You obviously avoided careless mistakes.

So here's what I got.

15 PS / 10 VR / 13 BS = 38. F.ck yeah.

All time high for PS- never scored a 15 but I came close a couple times. All time low for VR- I think all of my aamc's were 11's or higher, with a 13 on AAMC11. BS was about where I thought it'd be based on practices. More than happy. I think I hit roughly my modern AAMC averages (8-11). Stats don't lie, thankfully.