TBR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaTruMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it enough to just only do the problems in TBR and review what I got wrong/right? Or should I spend time reading the text as well?

I just received my TBR ochem, chem, and physics.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Is it enough to just only do the problems in TBR and review what I got wrong/right? Or should I spend time reading the text as well?

I just received my TBR ochem, chem, and physics.

Thanks!

I liked the text, but if you don't need it don't read it.

The text is filled with exam pointers as well as practice problems, but like I just said, if you don't need them don't do them.

whens your test...thats alot of material to study....it took me a while to get through it all....

whens your test...thats alot of material to study....it took me a while to get through it all....

January.

I don't feel like reading it because it's so dense compared to TPR and EK...

So I was just wondering if I will get enough out of it by doing the problems only...

Members don't see this ad :)
January.

So I was just wondering if I will get enough out of it by doing the problems only...

It's really not that dense and if you think it is, I suggest you read it. ;)

Have you seen a lot of improvement in your scores?

Yeah, I did on practice exams. I went up ~20 points from my diagnostic of a 14 or 16 (don't remember which).

I think the books are great. I wish I had more time to spend with them prior to my exam. If I do end up needing a retake I'll reread all the sections I did have time to read and then read the rest, but be sure to do all three phases of practice problems. I just ran out of time... I wouldn't study with another set of books though (Except EK bio- I liked that that one quite a bit as well).

I think reading the text will help a lot. The only reason I could see to not read it is if you just finished the class and feel like you know everything.

The text in physics is actually pretty short. Chem, on the other hand, is a different story. I think that if you just finished your classes, or remember the info, the text isn't necessary. I find that the passages actually don't test what you read in the text verbatim. A lot of the answers can be derived from logic.

I wish I could find the thread, but someone actually counted the pages of text in the EK books versus the BR book after you remove practice questions (if you look at the BR books, you'll see about 20-30 sample questions incorporated into the text). I think it came out that BR was shorter by a few pages than EK. So the actually reading of text is about the same.

Where BR materials are useful are the passages and questions, because the answer explanations show how to think your way through questions using minimal information and mostly test logic. Those are what make BR books invaluable (if you ask most people).

I wish I could find the thread, but someone actually counted the pages of text in the EK books versus the BR book after you remove practice questions (if you look at the BR books, you'll see about 20-30 sample questions incorporated into the text). I think it came out that BR was shorter by a few pages than EK. So the actually reading of text is about the same.

Where BR materials are useful are the passages and questions, because the answer explanations show how to think your way through questions using minimal information and mostly test logic. Those are what make BR books invaluable (if you ask most people).

It was a conversation between malayna and someone (protacti-something - can't remember) about buying more material outside of TBR practice. Having both sets myself, it takes me longer to go through EK sections for some reason in PS compared to TBR sections. I only do TBR for PS now because they have everything you need.

-LIS

It was a conversation between malayna and someone (protacti-something - can't remember) about buying more material outside of TBR practice. Having both sets myself, it takes me longer to go through EK sections for some reason in PS compared to TBR sections. I only do TBR for PS now because they have everything you need.

-LIS

Maybe you do what I did for the BR physics books, "Damn, I hope I don't have to remember all these formulas or interconvert them on an exam... I'll just pretend I don't see them... Moving on..." ha ha. True story. I tried in the beginning, but math isn't my forte, so towards the end I was like whatever, just give me the frequently tested formulas.