TBR - Section I Exam Passage Question 29 General Chemistry - Bond Lengths

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Romz

Pharm.D ➡️ M.D.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'm a little confused over the answer that TBR gives regarding Bond lengths.

Question 29. Which of the following compounds has the weakest C-C bond?

I understand that the weakest bond will be the longest bond. However, TBR uses the hybridization of the two carbons involved in the bond to determine the bond length and I have no idea what theory/principles they are applying to reach these conclusions.

I thought that a bond between an sp hybridized and sp3 hybridized carbon would be weakest (most unequal distribution of e- density). However, TBR says it's between sp2 and sp3 hybridized carbon atoms.

A little clarification would be immensely appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you like the idea of bond length to determine the bond strength, then consider that an sp-hybrid is shorter than an sp2-hybrid which is shorter than an sp3-hybrid. A sigma bond between an sp-carbon and sp3-carbon will be shorter than a sigma bond between an sp2-carbon and sp3-carbon, because the orbitals involved in the bond are shorter.

Reactions: 1 user
If you like the idea of bond length to determine the bond strength, then consider that an sp-hybrid is shorter than an sp2-hybrid which is shorter than an sp3-hybrid. A sigma bond between an sp-carbon and sp3-carbon will be shorter than a sigma bond between an sp2-carbon and sp3-carbon, because the orbitals involved in the bond are shorter.

Derp. Very clear explanation. Thank you!