TCB's pre-pharmacy blog

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TCB

live and let live
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finally decided to start my pre-pharmacy blog; I got the idea from Karmpatrol... If anyone it is not ok with this,feel free to tell Brill. " Hi Brill, I hope that you're doing ok" , he will delete this thread as soon as possible.

I am TCB: Taking Care of Business.

I am applying to 10- 11 pharmacy schools this summer. I should give more background information about myself but I don't have time right now. I need to go meet someone and have him proofread my personal statement. Today I am planning on asking for letters of recommendation to two professors: My general Chemistry II and my Music professor. I will give both professors a folder containing: My personal statement and my resume.

I am worried about letters of recommendations from a pharmacist / employer...I am still looking for a job.

Members don't see this ad.

Best of luck TCB!!!! You always have great stories!!!;)

Finals starts next week, I haven?t really studied my butt off like most students. When I study a lot, I always do poorly on my exams.

I have already letters of recommendation from two professors. All I need now are letters of recommendation from a pharmacist. After my exams, I am going to go see my former boss, he is the director of the pharmacy where I used to volunteer at, hopefully he will agree to write letters of recommendation. I also have to schedule a date to take the TOEFL, that exam is required since English is not my first language.

I have a back up plan in case I don't get accepted to pharmacy school. I will also apply to undergraduate school to get a bachelor in Public Health or Exercise physiology. I will apply to University of Colorado, Purdue University , Northeastern University, University of Berkeley, University of California Davis, University of Connecticut, and University of California San Francisco (talking about University of San Francisco, I wasn't able to find their undergraduate school application on the website; does not anybody knows why ?? all I saw was this:http://www.ucsf.edu/ ) .
If I end up in California, it will be easier for me to be a fitness competitor. However if I end up elsewhere, I will just have to defer this second goal of mine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe that UCSF doesn't have an undergrad program.

TCB said:
I have a back up plan in case I don't get accepted to pharmacy school. I will also apply to undergraduate school to get a bachelor in Public Health or Exercise physiology. I will apply to University of Colorado, Purdue University , Northeastern University, University of Berkeley, University of California Davis, University of Connecticut, and University of California San Francisco (talking about University of San Francisco, I wasn't able to find their undergraduate school application on the website; does not anybody knows why ?? all I saw was this:http://www.ucsf.edu/ ) .
U of C, San Fran is different from U of San Fran. If you mean University of San Francisco, it's www.usfca.edu.

Thank you very much jdpharmd?

Hey TCB, do you mean this thread is your blog? Or do you have specific site where you write the blog entry?

pharmd-08: Yes this thread is my blog...

FutureRxGal: Yes most schools do, I include each forms when I ask my professors to write me letters of recommendation.

I finally decided to apply to University of California School of pharmacy. I didn't want to because of three main reasons :

1- My GPA is way too low.

2- I do not live in California

3- I didn't want to take Calculus II.

But because I know I will have to take calculus II evendtually , I decided to take it now,and apply to UCSF. I am mad because their supplemental forms will only be available around june, and I wanted to ask for letters of recommendation now, not in June !!!!!.

I still haven't found a job yet, I don't know where I am going to get money to apply for pharmacy school and take the TOEFL. I have $2000 saved up, but that money is for my car; I refused to ride the bus this upcoming fall.

Right now I am taking some US History, I hate that class with passion. I should have taken African- American History, but some schools are actually picky about what history class they require.

I still need letters of recommendations from a pharmacist. I didn't go ask my former boss for letters of recommendation yet, since UCSF Supplemental Application is going to be available in July.

Today to the Washintgon Free Clinic in DC , to see if I can volunteer there. They have a HIV program , and maybe small pharmacy. Unfortunately, the guy that I was supposed to meet couldn't make it. He emailed me, and rescheduled the interview for next week. This doesn't give me enough time to volunteer and ask for letters of recommendation for UCSF!! Somebody doesn't want me to get into pharmacy school next year.

Do pharmacy schools require a recommendation from a pharmacist? Who did everyone that's currently in pharm school get their recommendations from?

I got a job at Head Injury Rehabilitation; it is a center which takes care of people who have brain injury. I will be expected to give clients medications, and drive them around; I have an orientation on Friday. I am only going to be working there on week-ends, which is a shift that I requested since I am planning on keeping that job when school starts. This shift is going to be a problem this summer, since I won?t be able to have fun anymore, but I need money for Pharmacy school application and my car.

vafcarrot : some schools do, you should check their requirements for letters of recommendation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am so happy, I got the job that I wanted, the position is called " document Imaging" at QualifyFirst. I will be doing Document Preparation, scanning, and coding of paper document . I will be working full- time from 8:30AM- 5:00PM, I am getting paid $9/hour, I am starting on Monday.

In top that of that I will also be working at Rehalibitation Head Injury every saturdays and Sundays from 9 AM- 11PM as a Residential Counselor.

This is 68h/week in total ,plus summer school, that is a lot. On monday, I am going to ask my boss at QualityFirst for fridays off, and ask him if it is possible to start work earlier on Monday- Thursday. During those days off, I am going to be working on pharmacy schools application. Is this really a safe move?! I just hope that I won't loose my new job by requesting fridays off.

Wowhoooooooooooooooooooo I just remembered that my job gives me two weeks paid vacation !!! I need to ask them on Monday, just to be sure. I won't have to take friday's off after all !! Maybe I am going to take my vacation around July, and take care of pharmacy school stuff. But is it going to be too early to take a vacation in july if I start working there this monday.? !

I wonder if they did the Government Security Clearance already. Dang I hope that I don't have a police record... now I am worried. When I used to work at the Hospital they did a background check on me and they didn't find anything, maybe those people will find something !! I mean the government security means FBI and CIA... those people can dig all kinds of informations about me; now I am freaking out.

Congrads on getting your job! I hope you enjoy it.

By the way, what is TOEFL? Is it some sort of admission test?

Test of English as a Foreign Language

I just saw one of my friend from last semester. She told that she finally got accepted to Hampton University school of pharmacy, after been rejected to all eight schools she applied to, including Howard University, which is the supposed to be the easiest school to get into in Maryland. Her GPA is 3.60; she is the only one who got in among all her friends who applied with her this year. I am really scared about situation, actually I already know that I am not going to get into pharmacy school next year since my GPA is low, I just hope that my parents won't be too disappointed.

I just feel sorry for other my friend N. This is the second time she applies and she still didn't get in this year, even though this time around she had some pharmacy experience, her GPA was above 3.0 and he girl got As in both Organic Chemistry classes. I think I know what she did wrong... oh well she is going to apply to nursing school now.

If you don't mind me asking, what did she do wrong? She seemed strong in all of her academic areas.

Was it something to do with personality/enthusiasm?

In the University of Colorado SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATION FOR ADMISSION 2005, I am asked to answer these two questions :

1. Do you have any comments about your academic record (failures, withdrawals, probation, suspension, etc.) that you would like to explain to the Admissions Committee?

2. Are there any other issues that you want the Admissions Committee to consider in evaluating your application?

I really don't know what to say, since I deserved all the bad grades that I got. I can't leave those questions blank because apparently, they are an extremely important component of the selection process. I have some withdrawals yes , but I withdrew from my classes not because I was sick or because a member of my family died, I withdrew because I was on the verge of getting D; nobody wants such grade on their transcripts.
I guess they want me to make up some story.

Asnchic I will PM you.

i had one withdrawl with the same experience. my application also asked me about that. i wrote something like i was changing the major, or subject topic was not interesting in anway. or be honest, the subject you withdrawn was especilaly hard for you etc. i wound';t worry too much if you had only one W.

Today I took the TOEFL exam,and I went to see the director of the pharmacy where I used to volunteer/work to request letters of recommendation. On Friday, I am going to give him a folder containing :a cover letter, my resume, and my personal statement.

Even though I am only applying to 10 schools, I am going to give him two additional letters of recommendation forms from two schools where I won't be applying. That way, I will be able to open those two letters and read what he wrote in the 10 recommendation letters that I will be sending out. If find out that he wrote something negative, I mean just one little thing, I won't bother sending any recommendation letters from him.

I will do the same thing for all REC that I will be requesting. I just don't trust anybody anymore, and I don't want any surprises either.

TCB said:
Today I took the TOEFL exam,and I went to see the director of the pharmacy where I used to volunteer/work to request letters of recommendation. On Friday, I am going to give him a folder containing :a cover letter, my resume, and my personal statement.

Even though I am only applying to 10 schools, I am going to give him two additional letters of recommendation forms from two schools where I won't be applying. That way, I will be able to open those two letters and read what he wrote in the 10 recommendation letters that I will be sending out. If find out that he wrote something negative, I mean just one little thing, I won't bother sending any recommendation letters from him.

I will do the same thing for all REC that I will be requesting. I just don't trust anybody anymore, and I don't want any surprises either.
1 little thing doesn't mean it's bad. If I was an adcom, I would be skeptical of a "Perfect" applicant

I think it is, you are supposed to get your reference letters from people who will say the best things about you, and think the highest of you. If a person who thinks the highest of you has something bad to say about you, then they can only imagine what other bosses, teachers, etc... would say.

laura_mideon said:
I think it is, you are supposed to get your reference letters from people who will say the best things about you, and think the highest of you. If a person who thinks the highest of you has something bad to say about you, then they can only imagine what other bosses, teachers, etc... would say.
Actually, it's usually considered good etiquite (as a recommender) to include something like "I just wish he would put things back in the lab". It's something somewhat negative, but nothing that would upset anyone (adcom). Letters that are 100% glowing are sometimes suspect. ;)

laura_mideon: I know that I am supposed to get the letters of recommendation from people who will say the best things about me, but sometimes **** happens. If I don't getting into pharmacy school next year, I don't want it to be because of a bad letter of rec. A friend of mine who goes to Purdue University applied to 20 schools this year, including Purdue, and he didn't get accepted anywhere. I bet he had bad letters of recommendation, since his grades were good and he had experience.

South2006: I don't want a perfect recommendation letter, I just want something decent.

I went to Hawaii College of Pharmacy's website. As I was getting ready to print out a supplemental application, I saw this on the bottom of the page:

HAWAII COLLEGE OF PHARMACY IS NOT ACCREDITED
BY AN ACCREDITING AGENCY
RECOGNIZED BY THE UNITED STATES
SECRETARY OF EDUCATION.

What is that supposed to mean ?? Does that mean that if I get accepted there, I won't be able to practice in the USA?? Is this going to change anytime soon? What about those students who have been admitted for fall 2004? What are they going to do? I need some clarification please... I don't want to waste my $80 for the application fee.
I m not trying to instigate any fight on my blog, I just want a brief answer.

Thank you!!

OH Yeah I might get a car tomorrow. It is 1996 Nissan Sentra GXE, automatic, with $70, 000 mileages for $2 800. I think it is a good deal, plus Nissan Sentra is an economy car.

Are you joking? Please, tell me you're joking. You haven't seen the epic saga of a thread that has been going on for awhile now??

NO, I HAVEN'T BEEN HERE FOR AWHILE. I WANTED TO GET AWAY FROM ALL THESE PHARMACY SCHOOL APPLICATIONS TALK ETC. HOWEVER, I JUST READ THAT THREAD, I AM GOING TO TAKE MY CHANCES AND STILL apply THERE.

Oh you could have just answered my question without being smart about it... now I know why I stopped coming here.

It has just been a very BIG drama thread here for several weeks, I was surprised you missed it since I thought you were a regular. I was trying to be more playful than mean, but we all know how cybertalk can come off wrong.

TCB said:
I wanted a Honda civic, but a Nissan is as good as a Honda, Mazda except Mazda 626 "Transmission is bad? and a Toyota.

Please rephrase. :confused: :confused: :confused:

AmandaRxs: Have a good week !!!!

I will miss the early decision, since I need more letters of recomendation. I m not applying to Temple University anymore, they require the PCAT for Fall 2005 applicants.

I bought the car, I will get it on Monday, the dealer has to take the car to inspection and fix what needs to be fixed. On tuesday, I am going to the MVA to get my tag. I also called the insurance, I will paid $166 for the down payment, then three payments of $125. After those payments, my insurance will cost $107/month for full coverage.

I will add a remote control, MP3/ CD player and I will tint my windows; all this for $400. After that, I will ask the same dealer to hook me up with rims.
I also need to put money aside for pharmacy school application...my week-end job is going to take care of that.

Wow TCB, your friend applied to 20 schools and he didn't get in anywhere? That's crazy!! :eek:

TCB said:
AmandaRxs: Have a good week !!!!

Thank you, I will!!!!!

Oh yeah....I guess deleting that part of your thread somewhat accomplished my request for rephrasing.

TCB said:
I will add a remote control, MP3/ CD player and I will tint my windows; all this for $400. After that, I will ask the same dealer to hook me up with rims.
I also need to put money aside for pharmacy school application...my week-end job is going to take care of that.

Okay, I have to ask: Wouldn't it be logical to use the $400 for your pharmacy apps NOW, and save up for the "goodies" for your car later? :confused:

FutureRxGal said:
Okay, I have to ask: Wouldn't it be logical to use the $400 for your pharmacy apps NOW, and save up for the "goodies" for your car later? :confused:

I was thinking the same thing. I don't mind driving a POS until I'm finished with school. School comes first.

Thanks for your advice guys, but I currently have two jobs.
My first job is for my car, I am quitting it on August 27; I worked all summer for that . My second job for pharmacy school application, I only work there on week-ends. As soon as I am done working on my car, all my money is going go to pharmacy school applications. I don't even have those $400 now, I am getting paid on August 27.

Dana you're right, school comes first. However I need a car to go school , especially because I am moving soon, and I will have to commute 1h:30 minutes everyday to go school.

Goheel don't worry, your 4.50 GPA will get you in North Carolina school of pharmacy...if I remember corrrectly, that is your first choice.

Yes, it is important to have a car for pharmacy school. But the *extras* aren't necessary which is what everyone is referring to.

jason UCSD2000 said:
:love: I love you, TCB.
\

I received this email from LECOM:

We have processed your PharmCAS and Supplemental applications. You are missing two requirements for our program Calculus (Three Credits) and Organic chemistry (Four Credits). These classes must be completed prior to June 1, 2005. We have received your letters of recommendation. If you have questions feel free to contact our office at anytime.

Pam R.

Admissions Counselor

LECOM School of Pharmacy

Should I reply to her email and tell her that I am taking calculus right now and will be done with Organic II by the end of the spring semesder " by the grace of God ", or should I just ignore it and send them my transcript whenever I am done with those classes ? I want her to know that I received her email. At least I know for sure that my application packet didn't get lost.

On another note, I finally applied to five schools only because I didn't have all the pre-req that some schools wanted. Xavier wanted 2 Health ethics classes !!! what the hecks ? Lousiana University at Monroe told me straight out that I shouldn't be wasting my time and money applying to their schools because they give high preference to in-state students, as for Hawaii I couldn't applied because my community college do not offer Biochemistry... I decided not to waste my time applying to California schools even though I really really wanted to go to UCSF, since they offer a joint degree in PharmD/ MPH.

TCB said:
Should I reply to her email and tell her that I am taking calculus right now and will be done with Organic II by the end of the spring semesder " by God grace", or should I just ignore it and send them my transcript whenever I am done with those classes ? I want her to know that I received her email, but maybe she just expects me to call the office if I want to inquire about my application.

No, they should have a list of classes you are taking and plan to take next semester. Then again, it is LECOM...

If you want her to know that you received her e-mail, then just reply to the one she sent you and let her know you received it. Simple as that.

Hampton University school of pharmacy finally sent me their application.
They are the only school in the United States that I have came accross to so far which requires a Certification of Pre-Admission Experience. One basically have to complete 80 hours of pharmacy experience or orientation prior to beginning matriculation, then a licensed pharmacist has to filled out the form stating he/ she actually worked /volunteer under his/her supervision. Oh yeah it is not all, I have to fill out Part II of that stupid form. Failure to complete those 80 hours may of course result in the cancellation of the application.

A pharmacist filled out my Certification of Pre-Admission Experience for Hampton University, I am happy about it.

This semester was alright for me, finals are next week.

I might get an A in calculus: only if I can pull an A on my final.
French Literature: hoping for A.
A& P: right now B
Microbiology: I would say B, since I had 84% on all my tests.

I might have screwed myself up with my personal statement.
I mentioned that I would like to be a Public Health Pharmacist. However I realized that only one school that I applied to has the school of public Health or a combined degree PharmD/ MPH. I still have to send three more applications, but I don’t feel like writing another personal statement right now. Oh well I am not even going to stress about it. If I don’t get into pharmacy school this year , it wasn’t meant to be. It is not like I have a 3.5 GPA anyway.

Oh yeah LECOM interviewed this classmate of mine, but I haven't heard anything from them yet, except for the fact that they want me to take Calculus I and Organic II. If they are going to reject me, I wish they could just do it now.. why wait until January ? I am tired of always checking my voicemail to see if they called me to set up a date for a phone interview . I almost emailed them today to ask them if they were going to interview me soon, or if they called me and I missed the call. I mean my mom told me that my voicemail was full from Nov 30- Dec 1 so nobody couldn't leave a message...

pharmd-08 said:
Hey TCB, do you mean this thread is your blog? Or do you have specific site where you write the blog entry?

Whatever...

I love #16

1. Sit in a straight, comfortable chair in a well-lighted place with plenty of freshly sharpened pencils.
2. Check your email or your favorite websites.
3. Read over the assignment carefully, to make certain you understand it.
4. Walk down to the vending machines and buy some coffee to help you concentrate.
5. Check your email.
6. On the way back and talk to your friend from class. If your friend hasn't started the paper yet either, you can both go to McDonald's and buy a hamburger to help you concentrate. If your friend shows you her paper, typed, double-spaced and bound in one of those irritating see-thru plastic folders, drop her.
7. When you get back to your room, sit in a straight, comfortable chair in a clean, well-lighted place with plenty of freshly sharpened pencils.
8. Read over the assignment again to make absolutely certain you understand it.
9. Check your email.
10. You know, you haven't written to that kid you met at camp since fourth grade. You'd better write that letter now and get it out of the way so you can concentrate.
11. Look at your teeth in the bathroom mirror.
12. Listen to one side of your favorite tape and that's it, seriously, as soon as it's over you are going to start that paper.
13. Listen to the other side.
14. Check your email.
15. Rearrange all of your CDs into alphabetical order.
16. Phone your friend and ask if she started writing yet. Exchange derogatory remarks about your teacher, the course, the college, the world at large.
17. Sit in a straight, comfortable chair in a clean, well-lighted place with plenty of freshly sharpened pencils.
18. Read over the assignment again; roll the words across your tongue; savor their special flavor.
19. Check your email.
20. Check the newspaper listings to make sure you aren't missing something truly worthwhile on TV. NOTE: When you have a paper due in less than 12 hours, anything on TV from Masterpiece Theater to “Sgt. Preston of the Yukon” is truly worthwhile, with these exceptions:
a) Pro Bowlers Tour
b) any movie starring Don Ameche
21. Catch the last hour of “Soul Brother of Kung Fu” on Channel 26.
22. Phone your friend to see if he was watching. Discuss the finer points of the plot.
23. Check your email.
24. Look at your tongue in the bathroom miror.
25. Look through your roommate's book of pictures from home. Ask whoeveryone is.
26. Sit down and do some serious thinking about your plans for the future.
27. Open your door and check to see if there are any mysterious, trenchcoated strangers lurking in the hall.
28. Check your email.
29. Sit in a straight, comfortable chair in a clean, well-lighted place with plenty of freshly sharpened pencils.
30. Read over the assignment one more time, just for heck of it.
31. Scoot your chair across the room to the window and watch the sunrise.
32. Lie face down on the floor and moan.
33. Check your email.
34. Leap up and write the paper.
35. Type the paper, and while you're at it, check your email.
36. Complain to everyone that you didn't get any sleep because you had to write that darn paper.

I should be studying for microbiology...

I should be studying for microbiology too. Instead, I just read through all of that list. Could you post another? It's not yet midnight and I'm distracted by not having anything distracting to do.

vafcarrot: good luck on your exam....

My mom woke me up this morning at 5:00AM, to tell me that I had a message from a pharmacy school. I picked up the phone, to listen to the message, the first word I heard was UNFORTANUTELY. My heart started racing, I started wondering if they were actually about to reject me over the phone; that would have been so harsh !! I want to receive some kind of letter, even if it is a rejection letter, that is the fun part of this application process for me.

It turned down that the lady wanted me to send them another application fee. They apparently they didn't received the one I sent them the first time around, even though I am pretty sure that they cashed it. I am not even going to argue with them; at least I am still in the running to be a student at their school

Edit: I am kind of pissed right now, I called them to find out where I should send the damn check, they directed to three different numbers and the people who answered the phone were all confused. I really don't want to have to send them a third check.

If you have proof that your check cashed, faxing that over to a specific person in the office might prompt them to run your app now, instead of waiting for your check. Your bank keeps all of your cleared checks and can give you a copy of them upon request. On the back of the check it will show what account the funds were deposited to. Sometimes there is a small fee involved ($5 or less). My bank did it while I waited, but others may take longer. It's work looking into if the school is repeatedly screwing up.

Bananaface: Thanks for your suggestion, but I already sent the check this morning :-(.