TCOM Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MedGirl

Has anyone interviewed or attended TCOM? I am interested in finding out what the school is like and if there are nice places to live nearby.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

MedGirl,
there are plenty of places to live around TCOM. TCU is also nearby and there are tons of apt. complexes in the area. (within 10 min.s) Lots of houses right next to the school too. It all depends on your budget. A really nice 1BR apt. will run 550.00. A trashy 2BR will run 450.00. I currently live in a very nice 2BR for 770.00. I haven't found a nice 2BR for any less than that within 10 min. distance from the school. The Ft.Worth Star Telegram is full of rental house listings in Ft.Worth and the Metroplex. House rentals are about the same prices as the apartments. An average 2BR house is 650.00+ a month. Check the Star Telegram first before driving around.

Most of this info. is based on my definition of what is trashy and what is nice. I'm a picky person. I need cleanliness and modern conveniences. The prices above are based on what I have seen to be neat, clean, and modern. (Do not rent anything with window unit air conditioners. It is hotter than hell in the summers here)

The school itself is a great place to go for medical school. There is plenty of active research going on. Examples: Dr. Grant(Biochem/MolecularBio/Physio) is part of a project that may have discovered the gene that results in cardiac hypertropy-published in Cell last year. Dr. Cammarata (Anat./Cell Bio) is about 2 yrs. away from showing solid evidence of the exact mechanism of diabetic cataracts. Most of the researchers here are well published. Hopefully with these examples you can understand that this is a DO school that is focused on scientific research and medical education. It helps. The library is full of journals because of this.

TCOM interviews can be stressful. They are very selective. The Dean of Admissions has the final say on every candidate and he likes numbers (unfortunately). Be yourself and you'll do fine.

[This message has been edited by JONM (edited 03-05-99).]

My interview was a long time ago, September to be specific. Anyhow, let me say that I was accepted and I will be definitely attenting TCOM this August.

As far as as the school goes, it's location is unique as far as med schools go as it resides in the cultural distruct of Ft. Worth. The university's facilities are excellent in all respects, although the gross lab design could have been better. The students and faculty are great and everyone seems to want to help each other.

The housing I hear is good, and you can get a decent apartment close to school for a reasonable price. I have to go personally soon to check this out, but this is what I've been told.

Anyhow, I hope this has been of some help to you. Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any further questions. ([email protected])

Members don't see this ad :)
Housing is abundant in the surrounding area. Don't go for the first thing you see; shopping around will definitely uncover better deals.

UNTHSC is definitely trying to stake out a claim for itself in the competitive arena of academic medicine. We're the smallest of the schools in the Texas Health Science Center system, but nonetheless have some innovative research underway. UNTHSC has received provisional accreditation for a school of public health--so look at the DO/MPH program if that is an area of interest for you.

All in all, I've been pleased with my medical education at TCOM. Every school has its pluses and minuses, so does TCOM.

--dave

Thanks for all the advice about TCOM. I will probably make a trip to visit the school. If anyone has any other information about TCOM or the Dallas/Fort Worth area continue to post here. I will post with information about the school after I visit.

Hi people,

I was waitlisted at TCOM back in November. I was wondering if anyone knew how much movement might occur during the next few months. I'm really interested in attending TCOM, but this waiting is killing me. Anyone know roughly how many people get pulled off the waitlist? Thanks.

Doogie

doogie, the wait list is not going to be like it has been in previous years now that TCOM is on rolling admissions. In previous years I don't think many people have been chosen off of the wait list. This is what I was told by 1st and 2nd year students there. That may not be the case now though. Have you asked the admissions counselors? What did they tell you?

Doogie,

Call and ask to speak with someone in the admissions office. Emphasize how much you're interested in TCOM and ask about wait-list movement.It doesn't hurt to keep on them as long as you're not a pest.

Thanks drusso and jonm for your comments. Actually, I just sent in a lette to the admissions committee. It was a nice little letter updating what I've been doing over the past months. I also included that I got into KCOM in November, but was very interested in attending TCOM. Reason: if I can get into another school out of state, perhaps the committe might think i'm qualified to stay in state. I called a few months ago about the waitlist, but they didnt tell me much. I'm just getting anxious. I need peace....

Doogie

I just wanted you all to know that I think you made a wonderful decision in choosing TCOM. Although I won't be attending next year, it was an awfully tough decision between UHS and TCOM. The deciding factor was merely that my sig other did not want to live in Texas (we're Californians), and UHS was tied in my mind. But I must say that the location of TCOM beats the pants off any other school I've been accepted to (meaning right in the middle of the Cultural District). I'm happy with my decision, but I wanted to let you guys know that I'm totally in love with your school also. So congratulations on your acceptances. Oh, and Doogie, as of last week there is a spot open since I turned down my acceptance. So the wait list should move a little anyway. Good luck to you. You will love TCOM.

***The deciding factor was merely that my sig other did not want to live in Texas (we're Californians)***

I'm from CA too, the Bay Area even. When people heard I was moving to Texas for medical schoool they just about flipped! Apparently Texas just isn't a hot destination for Californians... Oh well.

All in all though it hasn't been that bad. The overall climate is more politically conservative than what I'm used too, and even among medical students, it appears that Greek culture (as in frats, sororities, and keg parties) seems to predominate socially.

Anyway, I didn't interview at UHS (I feel the same way about the mid-west that your sig feels about Texas!), but I can confirm that I've heard it's kick butt school.

Good luck

--dave

smile.gif

Let me tell you as a veteran of 5 Texas summers, Hell doesn't pay it justice!! But, the school is in a great area of town...more stuff to do than you could possibly do and still pass. There is the new Bass Performance Hall, stockyards [whew the smell], IMAX...bars & restaurants [Sundance Square]...like I said an absolute ton. In fact, if the place had a few more trees a couple of hills and was located about 400 miles north---I'd love the place!! My wife and I much prefer Ft. Worth over Dallas. E-mail me if you have any questions.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'