TCOM Class of 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HomerJ

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I thought I would start this thread sense our message board has been down. I know a few people in my class that are on this forum and I hope others in our class will use this to just say whassup or to chat. :cool: Hopefully our board will be back up soon. :mad:

"Ladies and gentlemen, I give you your moran!"-Homer Simpson :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Homer! Great idea- when are they going to fix our message board anyway? Where are you going to live in Ft. Worth, Homer? I can live in Irving if I want, but that's kinda far. So where did you go to undergrad? How old are you? Write a profile of yourself....

Hey CJ! I have not decided were I am going to live yet. I have looked at a few apts and I want to look at a few more before I decide. I am from Abilene, TX and I went to Oklahoma Baptist University for my undergrad and I finished my Masters degree last August from OU Health Science Center. Right now I'm working as a reseach assistant at OU-HSC in the dept of toxicology. I've been married for nearly 2.5 years and I am 27. Some of my hobbies are reading, going to see plays (my wife is a theater major), doing some type of fitness activity :( , and I love watching the Simpsons.
I'm curious about the loan situation. I find the monthly allowance to be a little on the low side, especially considering the costs of renting. Why is there a cap on the amount that we are allowed to borrow? I mean, I don't want to accrue a massive amount of debt, but I don't want to be struggling with worries of whether I am going to eat or pay my bills. A little more money each month would go a long way. Well, whata ya gonna do? :confused:
What about you CJ?

"You know me Marge, I like my TV loud, my beer cold, and my homosexuals flammin."-Homer Simpson

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, Homey! I love the Simpsons, too. Sounds like you have a great background for medicine. Did you want to become a surgeon? I think I remember you on the DO Surgeons thread.
I graduated from East Carolina U. in Greenville, NC in Dec '99 with a BS in Occupational Therapy. I have 6 months of clinical experience as an OT. I did a pre-med post bacc at Wright State U. in Dayton, OH where my boyfriend of 6 years lives- he's a captain in the Air Force. I am 24.
I still need to get my financial aid stuff straightened out. And I need to work on the housing, too. So much to do!!!
I am really looking forward to school starting- med school is going to be one crazy ride! I think we need to organize a volleyball team that plays together regularly. Our class is going to be really tight, I think. Well, I better go for now. Take care. Can't wait to meet you and your wife!

Whoa! You guys are Simpsons fans too!!! I always set aside some time on Sunday to watch the Simpsons and Futurama...my 2 favorite cartoon shows (can't miss the Sopranos on HBO either!).

Homer, you're married...and Joy is in a serious relationship...man, TCOM sure is unaccomodating for us singles :) !!! Everyone I met at spring fling with the exception of 2 is either married or in a serious relationship with another person. I guess that's what happens when the average age is around 26. I guess its time to check out the ladies at TCU!!! ;) ;) ;)

Hey CJ, I do have an interest in surgery. This is in large part because I was an orderly in the OR before I started college. I worked there four years and I loved to take call because most surgeons would let you come in and watch. It was an awesome experience and I can't imagine myself not being in the OR. I'm about 75% sure that surgery is my field of choice. You never know, everything is always different when you are on the inside looking out. Its great to know that I'm not the only Simpsons fan out here!! :D :D What are you interested in CJ? Hey if ya'll think of some good Simpsons qoutes let them fly.

"I said, WOO HOO."-Homer Simpson

Homer, I'd say there's a good chance you will end up in surgery. :) Sounds like you've got a lot of good experience and you're pretty set on it! I am thinking family med, peds, or med/peds. I'm sure I'll end up in primary care somewhere. I like building relationships with patients and families, so I want a specialty where there is definite continuity of care. As a peds therapist, it was so exciting to watch the kids grow and develop. You felt like you were really helping them and making a difference.
I am going fishing today. I hope we catch something. I love to fish. I always went fishing as a kid and I still love it.
Yes, Simpsons are great, but I gotta disagree with you Chucky on Futurama. Can't stand it. I am subjected to it every Sunday night because of the boyfriend, and I just don't get it. It doesn't make me laugh. Maybe it's a guy show or something. But I would like to see the Sopranos. Never seen it, but I hear it's great.
And Chucky, remember I grew up in Irving and I still have many gorgeous female friends who live in the area. I can set you up, man!
Take care, guys. I'll write more later...

Originally posted by cjw0918:
[QB]I am going fishing today. I hope we catch something. I love to fish. I always went fishing as a kid and I still love it.[QB]

What do y'all fish up in Ohio? Down here in TX, its all about the largemouth bass. I also like deep sea fishing too. Every once in a while, we go down to Port Aransas for that.

[QB]Yes, Simpsons are great, but I gotta disagree with you Chucky on Futurama. Can't stand it. I am subjected to it every Sunday night because of the boyfriend, and I just don't get it. It doesn't make me laugh. Maybe it's a guy show or something.[QB]

Yep, totally understand, it takes a chauvanistic pig (most guys) to fully appreciate the charms of Bender.

[QB]And Chucky, remember I grew up in Irving and I still have many gorgeous female friends who live in the area. I can set you up, man![QB]

I might hold you to that!! ;) ;)

C'mon TCOM 2005, where is everyone??? I know our class is bigger than 3 people!!! Well, back to studying for finals. Later guys.

Hey all,
Looks like I will be at TCOM this fall as well. I have not done a thing about housing. My wife and I are spending the last three months of freedom traveling. She is from Ft Worth originally, so we can always crash with family or friends for a while.
I grew up in NJ and went to the Univ. of Maryland(class of '95 Anthropology/Archaeology) and now live in Phoenix, AZ(post-bac pre-med at Arizona State) where I worked as an EMT. In two weeks we are putting our stuff in storage down there and then hitting the road.
Hope to see you all soon.
Luke Bertorelli

Hey Berto, good to have you aboard! Like Chucky, I was starting to think there was only 3 of us using this board.

It looks like you have a very unique background with a degree in anth./arch. How did you come to your decision to study medicine and what do you want to do when you grow up?

Has anybody here seen the movie YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN? It is so funny. I just thought of it when I was reading another post.

"Noboby snuggles with Max Power. You strap your self in and feel the g's."-Homer Simpson

Hey all. I am enjoying my time doing mostly nothing when I'm not at work. I have been watching the basketball playoffs (Go Spurs!) and lounging around reading a book called The Unlikely Spy. I'll be heading to Fort Worth in two weeks to look at apartments one last time before I make a final decision. I have not heard from the financial aid department yet. I'm not sure but I think that we are supposed to meet with someone in financial aid after May 1. Has anyone heard this?
This summer I am planning on going camping in the Wichita Mountains for about a week in July. My last day of work is June 30 and I can't wait. Anyone have interesting plans for summer?

Wow, finally I find some of my classmates to be. My wife and I just rented an apartment about 7 min from the HSC. She graduated tonight, I graduate tommorow and we move to Ft. Worth Monday. I'm 26, have a two year old daughter and have been married for over five years. My wife worked for a D.O. for five years. We are really excited about getting started. I can't wait to meet all of you guys. Since everyone has indicated their interest(s), I will follow suit. I really want to go into orthapedic surg. I love sports and power tools, no surprise right. Are any of you guys gonna do a Masters while at TCOM?

Hi Berto and JCollings,

Glad to have you on board.

Luke, I spent a little time in Phoenix a while back. I was there when Metroplex still had the skating rink instead of the huge arcade they turned it into before I left. I still remember the dry heat. I used to get headaches all the time because I couldn't take the 120 degree temps. It was pretty funny running around in short sleeves during my first winter there while everyone else had parkas on. Of course the following winter I got more adjusted to Arizona and was freezing along with them! Anything new going on in Phoenix?

JCollings, yeah, I'm a bit interested in ortho as well (I suppose it's our caveman-mr. fixit instincts), but I haven't seen enough of the other surgical subspecialties to have a feel for what a really want to do. We've got 4 years to figure that out so I'm in no hurry. As far as a masters is concerned, I probably won't. Medical School by itself is bad enough. Having extra classes for a masters must be pretty difficult. Doesn't it feel good to not have to think about school right now? :p

Hey they finally got the message board up! :D