TCOM Class Of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just wanted to send out a little notice for those that haven't heard. We have our own forum at http://dosaf.hsc.unt.edu There have been some good discussions posted there as well. That's all for this public service announcement. :)

Dax

Members don't see this ad.

UserNameNeeded said:
I called and left a message at the financial aid office but I haven't gotten a response. Has anyone had their financial aid meeting? If you have, give us the low down! How's the financial aid package looking?

I spoke to Meagan today about mine. I didn't meet with her face to face, just over the phone. What she discussed with me is how much I was awarded ($36,000 max), the laptop cost ($2000), and that the disbursement occurs once in July and the other in January. Another thing she mentioned was the interest rate (6.8%). Finally, she told me that the whole $2000 for the laptop will be deducted from the first disbursement check and not split.

I do have another question though. Meagan mentioned that I was awarded the max. However, I was under the impression that the max for MS1's is $38,500. I need to get that clarified. Does anyone know?

Thanks! :horns:

Dax

Edit: I confirmed that it is a max of $38,500. Check out: http://www.brynmawr.edu/healthpro/documents/FinanMedSchHandouts05.pdf at the bottom of the page.

Dax said:
I spoke to Meagan today about mine. I didn't meet with her face to face, just over the phone. What she discussed with me is how much I was awarded ($36,000 max), the laptop cost ($2000), and that the disbursement occurs once in July and the other in January. Another thing she mentioned was the interest rate (6.8%). Finally, she told me that the whole $2000 for the laptop will be deducted from the first disbursement check and not split.

I do have another question though. Meagan mentioned that I was awarded the max. However, I was under the impression that the max for MS1's is $38,500. I need to get that clarified. Does anyone know?

Thanks! :horns:

Dax

Edit: I confirmed that it is a max of $38,500. Check out: http://www.brynmawr.edu/healthpro/documents/FinanMedSchHandouts05.pdf at the bottom of the page.

Hey Dax,
That sounds about right ($36,000), I did my financial aid last week and got $40,207 but that is with taking $4,000 for this summer to finish the masters program. The only way I know to get more money is for things like daycare for children. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, Dax, they're splitting all of the other charges like tuition and fees between the two fall and the spring disbursements?

What types of loans, grants or scholarships did they 'award' you guys? Sorry for being nosey, but it's bugging me *so* much. I've never had to deal with that much money!

UserNameNeeded said:
So, Dax, they're splitting all of the other charges like tuition and fees between the two fall and the spring disbursements?

What types of loans, grants or scholarships did they 'award' you guys? Sorry for being nosey, but it's bugging me *so* much. I've never had to deal with that much money!

I received a Perkins Loan, Sub Loan, and Unsub Loan (most, :( ) in my breakdown. It's a lot of money to take out but I don't want to work at all. It's not worth working part-time and going to med school to save on taking out loans. As for scholarships, there isn't many out there (I was told) and grants for that matter for the 1st two years of med school. Financial aid said that there are a lot more scholarships and grants for your third and forth years, so you don't have to take out as much.

UserNameNeeded said:

That's a good question. I sure hope they do split it as i'm planning on living off my loans. :) Anyone know?

Dax

MavsManiac, were your subsidized and unsubsidized loans just the Stafford loan or were those different loans?

The maximum loans you can get for...

Perkins (subsidized- the best loan available!) - $6,000
Stafford (subsidized) - $8,500
Stafford (unsubsidized) - $30,000

Did they give you the maximum Perkins and subsidized Stafford?

Yeah, Dax, I hope they split it too so that we can take out the subsidized loans first and then take out the unsubsidized loans at the lastest date possible (and save on some interest accruing).

UserNameNeeded said:
MavsManiac, were your subsidized and unsubsidized loans just the Stafford loan or were those different loans?

The maximum loans you can get for...

Perkins (subsidized- the best loan available!) - $6,000
Stafford (subsidized) - $8,500
Stafford (unsubsidized) - $30,000

Did they give you the maximum Perkins and subsidized Stafford?

Yeah, Dax, I hope they split it too so that we can take out the subsidized loans first and then take out the unsubsidized loans at the lastest date possible (and save on some interest accruing).

I got 4,000 for perkins, max on Sub Loan, and almost max on Unsub loan. They said they couldn't give me anymore Perkins, I don't know why?

For those in the Rural Med pgm..... When is our summer paper due?

MavsManiac, I'm glad you got the maximum subsidized Stafford. I don't understand why TCOM's Perkins maximum is only $4,000 when most other schools is $6,000. Did Lori Fielding talk about Title VII funding with you?

It kind of blows that the required costs (tuition and fees) even exceed the maximum subsidized portion of your loan award. Kind of a rip off!

ac101ac, my obsveration dates are in July, so I'm not sure. When's yours?

Ok the paper is due one week after observation. So mine is due this week. gotta go finish it!

What is the perkins loan? i had my appt today-all i got was max subsidized loan and the rest was in the unsubsidized loan.

UserNameNeeded said:
MavsManiac, I'm glad you got the maximum subsidized Stafford. I don't understand why TCOM's Perkins maximum is only $4,000 when most other schools is $6,000. Did Lori Fielding talk about Title VII funding with you?

It kind of blows that the required costs (tuition and fees) even exceed the maximum subsidized portion of your loan award. Kind of a rip off!

ac101ac, my obsveration dates are in July, so I'm not sure. When's yours?

I didn't talk to Lori Fielding, my financial person is Meagan Cross. What is Title VII funding?

Go MAVS, We should end this series in four games.... :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Moxie, Perkins loans are the best possible student loans you can get. They don't accrue interest while you're in school or during the 9 month grace period, and the interest rate is fixed at 5%. Compare that to the subsidized Stafford loan which only has a 6 month grace period and a fixed interest rate of nearly 7%.

MavsManiac, I thought all of us 2010ers had Lori Fielding as our financial aid counselor? Weird that you had a meeting with Meagan Cross. Anyway, I don't know exactly what Title VII funding is, but, basically, it's more of the better loan money (like Perkins) if you meet certain need criteria based on the FAFSA.

UserNameNeeded said:
Moxie, Perkins loans are the best possible student loans you can get. They don't accrue interest while you're in school or during the 9 month grace period, and the interest rate is fixed at 5%. Compare that to the subsidized Stafford loan which only has a 6 month grace period and a fixed interest rate of nearly 7%.

MavsManiac, I thought all of us 2010ers had Lori Fielding as our financial aid counselor? Weird that you had a meeting with Meagan Cross. Anyway, I don't know exactly what Title VII funding is, but, basically, it's more of the better loan money (like Perkins) if you meet certain need criteria based on the FAFSA.

I'm meeting with Meagan Cross because I am a post-bac finishing my masters this summer, so I think they just put up post-backers with Meagan for the TCOM 2010 financial aid process.

Who is going to do the 2 week biochem course? Sounds good to me except that vacation time will be cut short.... :(

ac101ac said:
Who is going to do the 2 week biochem course? Sounds good to me except that vacation time will be cut short.... :(

Not me, moving on the 15th. :(

ac101ac said:

I am still thinking about whether I want to take it or not. I did pretty well in Biochem in college, but I dont necessarily recall all the info. One draw back is that you have to pay for it (although not much, but still something). I wish they had a paid summer program like UTMB where students could go and get a head start on med school. Second, it does cut on vacation time too, not that I had anything planned :oops: I am really just going to have to think about it for a while. Sounds good, but then again, will it really make us that much more ahead when we start classes?

MoxieDO said:
I am still thinking about whether I want to take it or not. I did pretty well in Biochem in college, but I dont necessarily recall all the info. One draw back is that you have to pay for it (although not much, but still something). I wish they had a paid summer program like UTMB where students could go and get a head start on med school. Second, it does cut on vacation time too, not that I had anything planned :oops: I am really just going to have to think about it for a while. Sounds good, but then again, will it really make us that much more ahead when we start classes?

I doubt that you need to take the course, especially since you took it and did well on it at baylor. not that the professors were anything great, just that their tests aren't bad. if I was you, I would enjoy my summer instead :sleep: .

I am seriously considering taking the course. I haven't had Biochem at all (Psychology major in undergrad) so I'm a tad worried. I figure, 9-12 isn't bad, you still have the rest of your day...plus it will help train my body to get up earlier than I currently have been.

On a side note: I will be fully moved into my new place June 19th. Anyone else already in Fort Worth?

Good times,

Josh

johnjuan said:
Mavs in 4 count on it. :laugh: :laugh:

I would like to take this opportunity to say that I was sadly mistaken and will never make another prediction as long as I live. Just a little more than a month left, and I have still done nothing. No reading, shots, physical, or purchased any books. I think I will start to stress pretty soon if I can't get some of this taken care of. Does anyone know if we can get a temp. loan before we actually get our financial aid check. I don't have insurance and can't afford to go and get all the medical stuff done. Boy I sound like a whiner today. Disregard, have a great weekend. Go Mavs, please.....? :oops:

johnjuan said:
I would like to take this opportunity to say that I was sadly mistaken and will never make another prediction as long as I live. Just a little more than a month left, and I have still done nothing. No reading, shots, physical, or purchased any books. I think I will start to stress pretty soon if I can't get some of this taken care of. Does anyone know if we can get a temp. loan before we actually get our financial aid check. I don't have insurance and can't afford to go and get all the medical stuff done. Boy I sound like a whiner today. Disregard, have a great weekend. Go Mavs, please.....? :oops:

I feel your pain on the temp. loan thing. You might try calling financial aid to see what is out there. I would like to have some money to get books and for rent until I start. Let me know what you find out.

Dax

johnjuan said:

The physical is free on campus, but you will have to pay for titers/immunizations. Make an apppointment to go before orientation and then (when everyone else is waiting in line to get their physical) you'll be taking a nap.

Buy the books you need for the first class or two now - you can get the rest later.

hyperbaric said:
The physical is free on campus, but you will have to pay for titers/immunizations. Make an apppointment to go before orientation and then (when everyone else is waiting in line to get their physical) you'll be taking a nap.

Buy the books you need for the first class or two now - you can get the rest later.

thanks

hyperbaric said:

WHAT!?!?!!? grrr....I already got my physical :mad:

Hyperbaric, I'm not sure what year your in, but that isn't what happend this year. We were expected to have the physicals in prior to the start of school. They did offer shots, but there was NO time when the class went to have physical exams done. Are you a 3rd year?
TCOM200901

tcom200901 said:
Hyperbaric, I'm not sure what year your in, but that isn't what happend this year. We were expected to have the physicals in prior to the start of school. They did offer shots, but there was NO time when the class went to have physical exams done. Are you a 3rd year?
TCOM200901

I'm an 09er too. The student clinic will do your physical for free if you call and make an appointment - that is what I did last summer before classes started.

hyperbaric said:
I'm an 09er too. The student clinic will do your physical for free if you call and make an appointment - that is what I did last summer before classes started.
Yes, I misunderstood your commetn. Good luck on the MOD exam
TCOM200901

tcom200901 said:
Yes, I misunderstood your commetn. Good luck on the MOD exam
TCOM200901

You too!! Twelve days and counting! :D

hyperbaric said:
You too!! Twelve days and counting! :D

I don't think i'm alone in saying that it's going to take a little while to get used to taking exams in June. I guess for those that took summer school often it won't be an issue. So how is this 'mechanisms of disease' course? I hear it's a fun one. ;)

Dax

Dax said:
I don't think i'm alone in saying that it's going to take a little while to get used to taking exams in June. I guess for those that took summer school often it won't be an issue. So how is this 'mechanisms of disease' course? I hear it's a fun one. ;)

Dax

The problem with having classes in June is that it's so hard to stay focused on studying because we're all counting the days until July (and vacation). Not to mention with the World Cup and the NBA finals going on, there's a lot to distract us from studying. :laugh:

You've got mail! Or, you should have some. I just got my buddy assignment in the mail. So it's time to send off the list of questions. :)

Dax

Dax said:
You've got mail! Or, you should have some. I just got my buddy assignment in the mail. So it's time to send off the list of questions. :)

Dax

Was it a personal email or just a basic form letter email?

What is everyone wearing for first day of orientation? We have pictures scheduled for that day. Since it's "business" do we dress like we did during interviews? BUT IT's SO HOT :(

johnjuan said:
Was it a personal email or just a basic form letter email?

To me it seemed like a form letter. It wasn't from my buddy, but a carbon copy was sent to him. I would assume that you should get it soon.

Dax

ac101ac said:
What is everyone wearing for first day of orientation? We have pictures scheduled for that day. Since it's "business" do we dress like we did during interviews? BUT IT's SO HOT :(

That's for sure! I'm probably just going to do the tie and slacks thing and leave a jacket in the car. If it looks like everyone has a jacket, i'll go get mine.

Dax

ac101ac said:
probably the suit i wore to my interview :laugh:

Yeah, you should find your big buddies through email, I got mine a little over a week ago, but I know her already. So, who is taking the biochem course?

MoxieDO said:
you should find your big buddies through email, I got mine a little over a week ago, but I know her already.

Over a week ago? Moxie who have you been sleeping with? I just got mine today! :eek:

I've never had a good "big buddy" before. I hope it works out! The one I had during my freshman year in college kind of drifted off after a couple of meetings and he wasn't any help at all (stupid poli-sci major, one of those literal BS degrees).

UserNameNeeded said:
Over a week ago? Moxie who have you been sleeping with? I just got mine today! :eek:

I've never had a good "big buddy" before. I hope it works out! The one I had during my freshman year in college kind of drifted off after a couple of meetings and he wasn't any help at all (stupid poli-sci major, one of those literal BS degrees).

haha that's funny. poli-sci's cool though, the law is good for you...malpractice and stuff like that.

moxie, is your big's name starting with a V?

UserNameNeeded said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I got my big last Wed :p I was going to have V as a big, but now I have D as a big. I met D last summer and V knows other people from Baylor and the postbacc so she took both of them. It kinda feels like i have two bigs :)

Got My Big today as well.... I was wondering who was considering taking the Biochem class? I think I will most likely do it.

~Ryan

I got my big buddy today. Woo hoo. We are planning a to have a picnic and pick blueberries. Hooray...j/k

On the more serious side, I think I will be taking the Biochem course. I haven't ever had it and would love some intro to the material. It might make my brain less mushy during the cell science course.

Good call on leaving the jacket in the car Dax--it's freaking crazy hot out there. Maybe I'll pull a "I look cool with the jacket slung over my shoulder" move. Who knows.

Who else is taking the class? Who else is already in Fort Worth?

Good times,

Josh

who contacts you about your big buddy? your big buddy or the people in charge of it? and how did yall know about what to wear the first day to orientation? I feel like i'm missing out on these memos that everyone else is getting....

oh and for all you nba fans, i think the mavs should have won. next year we're going all the way!

Hey, you guys-- is anyone going to be a "patient" during the disaster management course tomorrow or Monday? That sounds like it would be a cool sneak peak into some of the more exciting classes we'll be taking. I wish I was in Fort Worth to go and take part (and get the free lunch). They still need a lot of volunteers, so email rsloan [at] hsc.unt.edu if you want to do it!

bugirl06 said:
who contacts you about your big buddy?

I got an email from my big buddy. It was sent to the account that the school has on file.

I actually can't remember where I read this, but I know the dress code for orientation was business on day one, then business casual the rest of the week.

If I find it I will post the link, but it may have been in the paper work I received way back when I got my acceptance.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific :(

Good times,

Josh

UserNameNeeded said:
What's the diffference between business and business casual?
I may be wrong but I think business is how you dressed (hopefully) for your interview. Business casual would be a Polo type shirt and slacks. Anyone?

Dax

Dax said:
I may be wrong but I think business is how you dressed (hopefully) for your interview. Business casual would be a Polo type shirt and slacks. Anyone?

Dax

haha you guys are hilarious...always worrying about something. why don't we all show up in our swim suits and see what they say? :smuggrin:

ILoveIceCream said:
haha you guys are hilarious...always worrying about something. why don't we all show up in our swim suits and see what they say? :smuggrin:

Hey man...that's right, I'm with you. I mean, what's the worse that can happen? Getting dressed down (pun not intended) by someone on the faculty? It's gonna happen a lot at least in residency...may as well get used to it. If it's just for badge photos, the guys could wear short sleeve shirts, ties, and SHORTS and SANDALS. ;) Anyone game?

But really, other than looking nice for pictures on the first day, why not wear whatever's comfortable the other 4 days of the week? My *packet* I got in the mail today that mentioned orientation in the cover letter didn't say anything about dress.

Any 2009ers wanna weigh in on this?