TCOM---Time to freak out TEXAS!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got my letter Thursday and am going to the "Preview-Day".:D

I had posted about the Preview Day thing in the Osteopathic Class thread, but I'll post here too...I'm from Houston, so if I were to go to this thing (and I'd really like to), I'd have to drive up the day before and stay in a hotel that night, since it starts at 8:00 in the morning. Does anyone know (perhaps people of previous years who've been to this before) if the Preview Day would be worth it, or what? Also, anyone else going?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't make it cuz I don't finish classes until 12/15, so I emailed to see if there were other preview days. I'll let y'all know if there are other dates.

I have a final on the 9th. :(

I'd like to give TCOM one last look before making a final decision but my school gives Saturday finals. O well.

Members don't see this ad :)
im choosing TCOM...quick question: ive been accepted to other schools and have sent my deposits to them earlier. what do i need to do to tell them that i am not coming to their school anymore? will an email suffice?

this is a good question and it needs to be answered because I am in the same boat

Yes, you can just email the admissions offices of the schools you wish to withdraw from it's cool. Just make sure you are super thankful and nice. They will send you a reply via email or mail ensuring it's final.

-------------------
Preview Day: I don't have a clue if they are having another preview day. Surely they will have something for you guys that can't make it?

Preview Day: I don't have a clue if they are having another preview day. Surely they will have something for you guys that can't make it?

I'm sure they'd have to have one in the spring sometime for the people who get accepted in the February match...

Yeah they do it's after the "match" during spring semester they just emailed me back

Hahah it sounds like this thread has turned into "TCOM Acceptance." Well...for the rest of us who are still waiting:

1) On the status page, how long does it take to change from "you have been invited for an interview" to "currently under review" to ...whatever comes next?

2) Anyone on this thread that has not received an acceptance from TCOM? How do you rate your stats and interview?

3) For those who were accepted, did you "know" that you would be accepted (based on your stats and interview)? Same question was addressed in #2 for those who have not yet been accepted.

Hahah it sounds like this thread has turned into "TCOM Acceptance." Well...for the rest of us who are still waiting:

1) On the status page, how long does it take to change from "you have been invited for an interview" to "currently under review" to ...whatever comes next?

2) Anyone on this thread that has not received an acceptance from TCOM? How do you rate your stats and interview?

3) For those who were accepted, did you "know" that you would be accepted (based on your stats and interview)? Same question was addressed in #2 for those who have not yet been accepted.

For question number 3, no I really didn't know for sure that I would be accepted. In fact, one of my interviewers totally freaked me out and insisted that I reapply if I didn't get in the first time! I was like "What does this mean, is he going to reject me?". Anyhow, I had a really good letter from one of their top graduates so I think that helped. But other than that it can be a crapshoot! Best of luck!:luck:

I think it's a crapshoot also it really depends on your interviewers after my interviews I really thought I had a good chance of getting in based on the big hints that were laid out by the interviewers. But it really depends on who you get.

I emailed the Admissions Staff about whether they will send more pre-match offers and here is what she said.

"We do not know at this point if we will be making additional offers. Much of that will depend on what response we receive from the original offers. The Admissions Committee has the option of rejected applicants and we have notified those applicants already."

So if there are ppl out there will multiple acceptances and know TCOM is not their choice, please turn it down for the rest of us. :)

TCOM does have another preview day in the spring hence the name SPRING FLING. I am a first year medical student here and I absolutely love TCOM. It is going to be a lot of work. We do a lot more than some of the other medical schools and TCOM graduates are expected to be top doctors. Why? Because for a long time there was(still is) a stigma about D.O.'s and TCOM is out to prove that we are the best. Get ready for the ride of your life, used to sleeping four hours or less and jugling a million things at one time. You can do this! Warning to those who may have made the decison later on in life to become a physcian. If you do not LOVE it ... you will not make it. Make sure there is a driving force behind you (mine is God) and you will do great!! Be blessed and I hope to meet all of you soon. You will be assigned a big buddy and they will help you with all of your questions etc. Take care!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a second year, and I agree with the first year post above. You will love this place. Yes, everyone does need a driving force, mine is getting into a top thoracic surgery program, and so far, everything is on track. I'm busting my butt, and yes, it's worth it.

You guys will love it here. You will be challanged, you will work hard, and you will come out on top. I've learned that I am so far ahead of my classmates who were at A&M now, that it's unbelievable.

Also, the administration here really takes the time to listen to you, and ACT on it!!

Also, Fort Worth is a fun town to live in.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
tcom200901

TCOM does have another preview day in the spring hence the name SPRING FLING. I am a first year medical student here and I absolutely love TCOM. It is going to be a lot of work. We do a lot more than some of the other medical schools and TCOM graduates are expected to be top doctors. Why? Because for a long time there was(still is) a stigma about D.O.'s and TCOM is out to prove that we are the best. Get ready for the ride of your life, used to sleeping four hours or less and jugling a million things at one time. You can do this! Warning to those who may have made the decison later on in life to become a physcian. If you do not LOVE it ... you will not make it. Make sure there is a driving force behind you (mine is God) and you will do great!! Be blessed and I hope to meet all of you soon. You will be assigned a big buddy and they will help you with all of your questions etc. Take care!!

What suggestions (in terms of preparation) do you have for someone like me who is done with school, but will be attending med school (probably TCOM) this summer?

Early Clinical Cases, earlier physical diagnosis, early hospital rounds in the first year, early preceptorships, eye for detail museum class. etc.......

Happy Thanksgiving

Just curious...When you all received your acceptance, what was the deadline date they asked yall to reply by--either accept or decline? Was it Nov. 31 or Dec 1?

I am waiting anxiously to see if they will send out another round of pre-match offers. I didn't make the deadline date for the initial round. My LMFU changed from Nov 6 to Nov 28. :scared:

Thanks!

Just curious...When you all received your acceptance, what was the deadline date they asked yall to reply by--either accept or decline? Was it Nov. 31 or Dec 1?

I am waiting anxiously to see if they will send out another round of pre-match offers. I didn't make the deadline date for the initial round. My LMFU changed from Nov 6 to Nov 28. :scared:

Thanks!

I thought there were only 30 days in november. I got my acceptance 10/15 and the letter ws due 10/30... if that helps?

Haha I'm sorry. You are right! There are 30 days in Nov. WHOOPS. :p I guess for out-of-state apps they give you a two-week deadline. Does anyone know what the deadline is for instaters?

Any info helps!

Well, I was accepted 11/14, and the contract/enrollment agreement that I signed had to be postmarked by 11/30. Good luck, and hope this helps.

Anyone know what is proper dress attire for this weekend? I couldn't find any info on the subject.:)

I would guess just something business casual? Like slacks and a sweater?

------------------------------------

Do you guys really think that you will get less than 4 hours a night sleep in medical school? Or is that a bit overstated?

I would guess just something business casual? Like slacks and a sweater?

------------------------------------

Do you guys really think that you will get less than 4 hours a night sleep in medical school? Or is that a bit overstated?

Thanks

I have a feeling it's at least a little overstated. Although there will probably be plenty of sleepless nights, from what I've heard, people say to get a good night's rest. Trying to get through the rigors of med school with no sleep is ineffective, and only does more harm than good.

so i haven't checked my status page in a LONG time bc it tends to freak me out. i just checked it and now i'm freaking out. i heard they were going to send more pre-match offers before Christmas for those that interviewed later on like me.

to those that got accepted, what did your status page read before the one with "info will be sent to you in the mail." mine reads "app under review. please refer to tmdsas website...." i just got a sick feeling reading that.

so i haven't checked my status page in a LONG time bc it tends to freak me out. i just checked it and now i'm freaking out. i heard they were going to send more pre-match offers before Christmas for those that interviewed later on like me.

to those that got accepted, what did your status page read before the one with "info will be sent to you in the mail." mine reads "app under review. please refer to tmdsas website...." i just got a sick feeling reading that.

My status has said "app under review" since I interviewed (July 25th), but they didn't inform me of a change in status when the pre-match started in November, so I didn't receive a flat out rejection (which apparently, they could have done). I'm not betting on getting an acceptance, so I can only take a wait-and-see approach to see whether it'll be sooner, or if I have to wait till February.

Mine had read "app under review. please refer to tmdsas website" before my status had changed. I know the waiting sucks, but if it's any consolation to you, they had told me back in November that they had sent out all the rejection letters they were going to send out. So if you never recieved one, then you're still in the game.

Okay, guys please help me out. TCOM is (and always was) my first choice. But, I cannot seem to get a straight answer out of these folks! My ap was sent out (originally) on Sept. 21 from TMDSAS, and then corrected (they made some SERIOUS errors in calculating my GPA) and resent a week and a half later.

In the meantime, I came to find out that the LOR from my DO was never received, holding up review of my file. I finally got a new letter sent mid-October and called TCOM to verify that they it was received and was told it was. At that point, I learned about checking my application status on TCOM's web page, and it showed....

This application is: Complete.

....and this has never changed!

I emailed admissions to ask if this meant the same thing as my application being in review and if this status would change when the review was complete, but I received only a vague answer saying my file was in review and they couldn't tell me anything else. They never even answered the second part of the question.

Has anyone else had this "complete" status either before or after review?

I am so frustrated! I have gotten great response to my OOS applications (two interviews both within a week of my secondary being reviewed) and can't understand why I am being snubbed by TCOM! Maybe I am just not destined to go to school here. :scared:

Okay, guys please help me out. TCOM is (and always was) my first choice. But, I cannot seem to get a straight answer out of these folks! My ap was sent out (originally) on Sept. 21 from TMDSAS, and then corrected (they made some SERIOUS errors in calculating my GPA) and resent a week and a half later.

In the meantime, I came to find out that the LOR from my DO was never received, holding up review of my file. I finally got a new letter sent mid-October and called TCOM to verify that they it was received and was told it was. At that point, I learned about checking my application status on TCOM's web page, and it showed....

I emailed admissions to ask if this meant the same thing as my application being in review and if this status would change when the review was complete, but I received only a vague answer saying my file was in review and they couldn't tell me anything else. They never even answered the second part of the question.

I am so frustrated! I have gotten great response to my OOS applications (two interviews both within a week of my secondary being reviewed) and can't understand why I am being snubbed by TCOM! Maybe I am just not destined to go to school here. :scared:

Well, I have been "complete" on the web page since July sometime. So the top line above that where it says :
"We have received your application; please check your "TO DO" list to see if you have any missing items."
This is where it will say if you have an interview or if anything has changed. I saw my friends after she had her interview so I am pretty sure that is where it is posted. The application:complete thing will always be there even after your interview I think. When I called TCOM about 2 weeks ago I asked if they were looking at my app and she said that it had been under review for over a month which I hope is a good thing, who knows. I am a resident of Texas, so it may be different for you if you are out of state. Good Luck. This is my first choice also because I live only 30 min away. I am applying to the MS program so hopefully if anything I will get into this.

When I called TCOM about 2 weeks ago I asked if they were looking at my app and she said that it had been under review for over a month which I hope is a good thing, who knows. I am a resident of Texas, so it may be different for you if you are out of state. Good Luck. This is my first choice also because I live only 30 min away. I am applying to the MS program so hopefully if anything I will get into this.

Well, so glad to hear that I am not the only one in this situation!! I also am from Texas and only about 20 min away (N Richland Hills) so it would be perfect for me. Plus since I am an older applicant it would mean not having to sell a house, uproot the family, etc.

I guess I just have to trust that what ever is meant to be, will be. It's still hard though! :rolleyes:

Just as an FYI, I interviewed at TCOM today and I was told that tomorrow the 15th is their last day for interviews. I was also told that the adcom will meet two more times only, and that that will happen next week. They said that OOSer's might here back from them in January but all the rest of us instaters won't know until the match in feb. Hope this is helpful and encouraging to some of you.

Just as an FYI, I interviewed at TCOM today and I was told that tomorrow the 15th is their last day for interviews. I was also told that the adcom will meet two more times only, and that that will happen next week. They said that OOSer's might here back from them in January but all the rest of us instaters won't know until the match in feb. Hope this is helpful and encouraging to some of you.
It's so weird to hear that the TX med school interview cycle is over when over here at Georgetown they are telling us that we shouldn't expect to get invites until next semester.

Mine had read "app under review. please refer to tmdsas website" before my status had changed. I know the waiting sucks, but if it's any consolation to you, they had told me back in November that they had sent out all the rejection letters they were going to send out. So if you never recieved one, then you're still in the game.

When pre-match offers were made, my app was not seen by the Adcom yet. :( I interviewed a week before Nov. 15. I guess I was freaking out bc I heard (on SDN of course, haha) that they were going to send out more offers right before Christmas. The person who told me heard it from the Dean during Preview Day. Waiting sucks...unless I have my daily dose of Retail Therapy!

And congrats Tejas on your interview....I knew you were freaking out a month ago!

to those who have gotten in to tcom so far!

There must be some other reason you aren't getting an interview. As I recall, a LOR from a DO is recommended, but not required. While I don't know any specifics about your situation, average scores with a blah personal statement won't attract much attention. Take another look at your application and see if anything jumps out at you. Good luck.

Congrats to everyone in the TCOM Class of 2011!! :clap:

There must be some other reason you aren't getting an interview. As I recall, a LOR from a DO is recommended, but not required.

Yes, that is true but once you enter the name of the DO who will be providing you a LOR on your secondary, it is not considered complete until received. How do I know? Because I talked to Admissions. I was offered the option of submitting my file without it but I elected to wait, not thinking about the ramifications of it being so late. With respect to other areas of my ap, yes, my MCAT is not as strong as some @ 26N, but I do have an excellent PS (according to interviewers, my pre med committee, and sci professors), great EC, and a very good GPA. I'm not saying that TCOM should have jumped up and snatched me like a 35+ MCATer with a 3.9 GPA, but I do know my application was worthy of review.

Yes, that is true but once you enter the name of the DO who will be providing you a LOR on your secondary, it is not considered complete until received. How do I know? Because I talked to Admissions. I was offered the option of submitting my file without it but I elected to wait, not thinking about the ramifications of it being so late. With respect to other areas of my ap, yes, my MCAT is not as strong as some @ 26N, but I do have an excellent PS (according to interviewers, my pre med committee, and sci professors), great EC, and a very good GPA. I'm not saying that TCOM should have jumped up and snatched me like a 35+ MCATer with a 3.9 GPA, but I do know my application was worthy of review.

A late application will certainly hurt your chances and likely contributed to your current situation. Keep in mind that your application may very well have been reviewed, yet not selected for interview. There will proably be a 1000 well-qualified applicants (in Texas alone) not to get an interview. This was a year of transition for the admissions process and, IMHO, lots of 'average' applicants were probably skipped over by all the schools in their rush to get the golden children. Be patient and prepare for the worst case scenario - reapplying.

A late application will certainly hurt your chances and likely contributed to your current situation. Keep in mind that your application may very well have been reviewed, yet not selected for interview. There will proably be a 1000 well-qualified applicants (in Texas alone) not to get an interview. This was a year of transition for the admissions process and, IMHO, lots of 'average' applicants were probably skipped over by all the schools in their rush to get the golden children. Be patient and prepare for the worst case scenario - reapplying.

Awww... I'm not worried about it. I did interview elsewhere in Texas and have OOS interviews scheduled for January and February. I know I'll get in for 2007, I'm just dissapointed it wasn't at TCOM. :)

Bumping this thread up for those of us waiting for TCOM decisions. :)

Good luck to you and all those waiting to hear something! Just out of curiosity though, will you guys not hear anything until the match in February, or can you possibly expect to hear something before then?

Good luck to you and all those waiting to hear something! Just out of curiosity though, will you guys not hear anything until the match in February, or can you possibly expect to hear something before then?

I believe some OOS applicants have been offered admission during this time before the match process if I'm not mistaken, but I would assume the in-state residents will have to wait till February 15th (Match Day) for any sort of decision.

Then again, some people found out before November 15th that they were offered acceptance, either thru e-mail or checking their status on TCOM's website.

Since TCOM seems to slightly buck the trend, its entirely possible that in-staters may hear of their status before Match Day, but then again, I'm not sure.

Does anyone know how many students have been accepted on November 15th? I'm trying to figure out how many more seats are still available and see what my odds are. I remember during the interview that they're probably going to accept up to 160 students this application cycle so is it safe to say that around 55-60 of the seats have been filled?

Also, come match day (February 15th), do you find out for sure whether you're in or not? Or is there a possibility of being put on a waitlist?

Does anyone know how many students have been accepted on November 15th? I'm trying to figure out how many more seats are still available and see what my odds are. I remember during the interview that they're probably going to accept up to 160 students this application cycle so is it safe to say that around 55-60 of the seats have been filled?

Also, come match day (February 15th), do you find out for sure whether you're in or not? Or is there a possibility of being put on a waitlist?

on feb 15, when you log in at tmdsas, it will tell you where you got into. if it says that you didnt match anywhere, then you could still be put on the school's wait list (but tmdsas wont tell you). youre gonna have to log in to the school's website and check your status. last year, tcom put up the wait list status on their website at like 6PM CST of match day

9 more days...

Good luck to anyone waiting for the match tomorrow!:D