Teach for America ...deferral?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OHare

MD
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody doing teach for america and deferring?

Anybody know if you can still defer for TFA if you get accepted off of a waitlist late in the game?

Members don't see this ad.

OHare said:
Anybody doing teach for america and deferring?

Anybody know if you can still defer for TFA if you get accepted off of a waitlist late in the game?

I don't think it matters when you get accepted if you want to defer for TFA. I am a campus campaign manager for TFA right now. You should really do it. Just hope you get in somewhere that allows deferrals for TFA.

I don't know. I mean most schools will give a deferral if accepted right away. But many schools will not grant a deferral if you come off the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview for TFA this month and currently am on the Duke waitlist. I sure hope I can do both!

What is TFA. I wouldnt mind teaching for a year before med school, but I wouldnt want to bother getting certified as a teacher to do this.

MEG@COOL said:
What is TFA. I wouldnt mind teaching for a year before med school, but I wouldnt want to bother getting certified as a teacher to do this.
You just missed the deadline, but check out www.teachforamerica.org
No you don't need to be certified. You can get certified as you're teaching if you want though if offered in your region. It's a two-year commitment like peacecorps...only you're in the US in a "failing" school/area.

I know that when Maryland waitlists, they state in the letter they do not grant deferrals off the waitlist. I think most schools will probably have a policy like this (this is just conjecture though) considering the purpose of accepting off the waitlist is to fill the class for the current year, not give people spots for next year.