Dec 19, 2009
Right here
Status
Post Doc
How are official teaching gigs viewed during residency applications? Is there any weightage given to someone with teaching experience or is that specialty specific? I am asking about teaching at faculty level in allied healthcare and pre-med programs mainly. My main reason to ask is to see how significantly I need to work this into my PS and CAF for the next cycle.

Any views/advice from anyone with insight/experience would be much appreciated, both from other applicants'/residents' as well as from PDs' perspective.

Thanks.

Ludicolo

Fib Hunter
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2008
Conjunction Junction
Status
Attending Physician
It will probably be more program specific, rather than specialty specific. There are enthusiastic teachers in every specialty, but not necessarily at every program. Maybe a smaller, community, more service-oriented program wouldn’t look at teaching experience as favorably as a larger academic program. But I overgeneralize.

From a “weightage” standpoint: does it compare to board scores, clinical experience, or research accomplishments? Nah. But any real life work experience, if spun correctly, will be valued by PDs/residency selection committees. In any case, your teaching experience certainly won’t hurt you. If you spent a significant time teaching and you enjoyed it, if it's applicable to your specialty of choice, if it’s something that shaped you and made you a better physician (and how could it not?) – I would emphasize that in your PS. At the very least it will give you something more to talk about on interviews.

OP
JelloBrain
Dec 19, 2009
Right here
Status
Post Doc
Thanks Ludicolo. I am sorry I didn't thank you earlier. I will be teaching Human Physiology as a part-time Assistant Professor at a local college and guest lecturing in Human Neuroanatomy at another college for the Spring 2011 semester, while also working in my current job as a post-doc. So I am excited and looking forward to it as this will be my first official teaching gig. Hopefully when I apply for residency, it will be "liked" by the powers that be.

atsai3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 15, 2002
Boston
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
How are official teaching gigs viewed during residency applications? Is there any weightage given to someone with teaching experience or is that specialty specific? I am asking about teaching at faculty level in allied healthcare and pre-med programs mainly. My main reason to ask is to see how significantly I need to work this into my PS and CAF for the next cycle.

Any views/advice from anyone with insight/experience would be much appreciated, both from other applicants'/residents' as well as from PDs' perspective.

Thanks.
It won't hurt. But it also can't make up for other elements of a subpar application...

-AT.