Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Teaching hospitals

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by july, Mar 8, 2007.

1. july

july Guest
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I want to work at a major teaching hospital but I am not wanting to do a residency. Is this possible?

2. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I won't say its impossible, but not likely - especially in the future.

What would you have to offer?

3. Farmercyst

Farmercyst From the shadows
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Why not a residency?

Loma Linda is a huge teaching hospital, has a residency that pays $50+/- per year. Has a good reputation among teaching hospitals as far as I know.
    If you really don't want the residency, you could check their employment opportunities. Last I checked they had several spots available. Of course that was before their first graduating class last year.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. konkan

konkan coup de grace
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist

Even if u want staff pharmacist position? I guess Cal indeed is so much different, coz, right now, I could give u at least two hospitals in Michigan which would hire NEW GRADS.
    And, in general, I don't see why hospitals shouldn't be hiring pharmacists without residencies. For instance, the hospital I used to work has 7 or 8 clinical pharmacists and about 50 staff pharmacists. I talked to couple of pharmacists in that hospital, and they said this hospital doesn't have plans to dramatically reduce number of staff pharmacists and to increase number of clin. positions. Now, the P-4 student I shadow told me only 3 or 4 students of his class chose residencies out of roughly 60 grads. I am P-2 and in my class, again, only a few people are thinking about it. Of course, this is just an example of one hospital and one school, but i don't think we are an exception to the rule.
    BTW, did u do a residency?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. psychoandy

psychoandy Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Depends on geographic area too...I know a couple hospitals around that hire straight outta school, and I don't live in the boonies.

6. bva

bva
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I understand that only some hospitals, not all, offer the residency program, do I understand correctly?

7. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

No - I didn't, but not because I didn't want to. There were only 2 reputable residencies when I graduated - can you believe it? One was at UCSF - they recruited me three times. But, I graduated from there & I knew their curriculum which was more of what I had already received. I would have liked something else. The other one was at Ohio State which was very well known for it administrative residency.

I would have love to do that, but the practicalities of my husband opening his office became obvious. His office did not generate any income for five years - its an expensive deal! So...we had to compromise.

I did however do a mini-fellowship in critical care & nutritional support years later thru Harvard University & Brigham & Women's Hospital.