Teaching Job During Gap Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HappEness

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just offered a high school teaching job for the 2019-2020 school year. Before being offered the teaching job, I was going to work as a research assistant at my state university. I was wondering if it would affect my chances to get into an MD school if I pursue the teaching job instead of being a research assistant. Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I was just offered a high school teaching job for the 2019-2020 school year. Before being offered the teaching job, I was going to work as a research assistant at my state university. I was wondering if it would affect my chances to get into an MD school if I pursue the teaching job instead of being a research assistant
Which job interests you more? Do you already have teaching and research experience from your other activities?

All else being equal, I would prefer to see high school teaching experience (especially if it's in the math/sciences). It's an important skill set to have as a physician. Research assistants are a dime in a dozen. Just my thoughts

Reactions: 1 users
I was just offered a high school teaching job for the 2019-2020 school year. Before being offered the teaching job, I was going to work as a research assistant at my state university. I was wondering if it would affect my chances to get into an MD school if I pursue the teaching job instead of being a research assistant. Thanks in advance for your help!
Agreed with Moko. Is your app deficit in either space? If you have teaching experience but no research, I'd say research assistant may benefit your app more. Or vice versa. If you have little experience in either, I think high school teacher would stand out more imo. You also need to take into account which you'd prefer to do. Both would look good on an app.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have a lot of research experience but I have a lot of teaching experience because I dislike research and enjoy teaching. Do you think it would hurt my app by spending the next year teaching instead of research?

I don't mind doing research if I have to in order to boost my chances for medical school since, at the end of the day, I want to become a doctor.

What do you think should be my next move? @Moko @Hi_I'mPaul @DokterMom @anyone_else

I don't have a lot of research experience but I have a lot of teaching experience
From an admissions standpoint, there are diminishing returns with any activity. If your research experience is objectively weak and you plan on applying to schools with a strong focus on research, it may make sense to have more research experience, especially if the research assistant job is different from prior experiences. Personally, I hated bench research, but found clinical research to be fun. So it's helpful to explore different types of research.

Having said that, a year of full-time teaching vs research will be looked upon highly either way. Consider the flexibility in schedules between the two gigs too to allow room for interviews and stuff.

Your ECs should tell the story of who you are. Are you a researcher or a teacher? Where is your passion? What would you be excited to talk about during an interview.

I love teaching and dislike research, which is why I don't have much research. Should I still continue with my teaching passion? @CyrilFiggis

I love teaching and dislike research, which is why I don't have much research. Should I still continue with my teaching passion? @CyrilFiggis
I think you've answered the question. Don't get caught up in the rat race of SDN.