Teaching Princeton Review?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rjhtamu

Stargazer Royale
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some time to spare and would like to have some source of income then. Is teaching for the Princeton Review a good job? It's probably time consuming doing lecture plans and office hours and all, but I think I would enjoy it. Anyone one on here worked with them before and have some information? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I teach MCAT physical sciences for them. The pay is very good, and it is not too time consuming. Really, the time goes into training and preparing for your first set of classes. I trained in Boston, had a great time, met a cool bunch of people, and checked out Harvard Med in the process (quickly found it it was the absolute best there is in person, ie best town, facilities, campus, and the hardest to get into). The preparation for my first set of classes was long, but I am teaching two sets of classes now at once, and it is easy since I have prepared so much already. Teaching is a lot of fun and makes for great supplemental income. My TPR wages from this summer's MCAT paid for my applications. Now I am just saving the money for next year when I am in medical school. Go for it, you need good test scores, but if you have those and want to have fun then you should be fine.

I taught the SATs for TPR this summer, I had a lot of fun with my kids too. It might be more fun than teaching the MCATs. Forgot what the hourly wage was but I think it was around $22/hr. And each SAT class is 30 hours.

I currently teach MCAT and SAT for Princeton Review. The MCAT pay rate is 17/hr and the SAT rate is 13/hr although in high cost of living areas the pay may be slightly higher. I teach the Verbal sections for both and I think it's a lot of fun. It keeps my reading skills sharp and I truly hate standardized testing so I enjoy helping people get an edge on it whenever possible. I also found that in my interviews I could talk about how much I enjoy teaching in regards to why I want to be a doctor, since the two professions aren't entirely different. Overall, its great pay for fun work. I personally find that the SAT classes are harder to teach, they aren't as committed and they are understandably much more immature.