Team-Based Learning (UNE-COM Primary)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xvndr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

First, apologies if there is already an answer to this question - I searched the threads but could not find anything of value to help me. For UNE-COM's primary questions, one of them reads "What is your understanding of the team-based approach to medical education? What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of this approach?"

From what I've read, the DOs will essentially be working with other students, i.e. pharmacy and PT, which at the end of the day, will help to understand each professional's role in the treatment of patients. Can anyone that is more knowledgable than me help me understand this further? I haven't had exposure to this team-based approach before and I don't know of the pros/cons other than it allowing students to learn from each other's professions.

Thank you all, and I again apologize if this was answered elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

First, apologies if there is already an answer to this question - I searched the threads but could not find anything of value to help me. For UNE-COM's primary questions, one of them reads "What is your understanding of the team-based approach to medical education? What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of this approach?"

From what I've read, the DOs will essentially be working with other students, i.e. pharmacy and PT, which at the end of the day, will help to understand each professional's role in the treatment of patients. Can anyone that is more knowledgable than me help me understand this further? I haven't had exposure to this team-based approach before and I don't know of the pros/cons other than it allowing students to learn from each other's professions.

Thank you all, and I again apologize if this was answered elsewhere.
Hello,
I am a UNECOM alumn. Though I don't remember having to answer this, but, here is how I would paraphrase your answer.
Team-Based Approach
- Importance, Patient care is a team game, what I mean by that you don't work by yourself, you have a Mid-level, nurse or an MA working with you. I would highlight your understanding of this concept. 1st.

-One of the reasons behind this question is your first and second year, UNE does a lot of work in teams, for education. For instance, in. your first year, you will work in a team to do dissection and you do case based learning in teams as well.

- Benefits, speak to the general topic in this aspect, with regards to people looking out for each other or something like learning from one other.

- Cons, Everyone has an opinion or a view, so its time consuming to go through pro and con's of every member's views. That leads to argument, talk about the importance of being effective leader, how that counters that.

Hope this helps!, BTW, UNECOM, is a wonderful school and if you get a chance it would be a rewarding experience to attend.

Reactions: 1 user