TeamHealth and Envision with new residencies in development

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
North Alabama Medical Center is owned by RCCH, a privately held for-profit corporation if I'm not mistaken.
Apparently, they're now owned by LifePoint Health, which looks like either a subsidiary of TH or they have exclusive staffing contracts for their hospitals

Members don't see this ad.

I think the private-equity backed CMG's have a not-so-hidden purpose in expanding these residency programs:
  1. Cheap labor by using residents instead of adding additional attendings,
  2. Less liability (residents under the hospital shifts some of the liability to the hospital instead of the CMG),
  3. Future decreased salaries (if somebody isn't compliant, fire them and replace them with a new grad who's desperate for a job).
If a ton of EP's don't get out of the field from COVID PTSD, retire, etc., then it's with 100% certainty that we will see the oversupply drive down demand enough that salaries will almost be on par with nurses/APP's.

North Alabama Medical Center is owned by RCCH, a privately held for-profit corporation if I'm not mistaken.
This is the painfully obvious goal of all these new residencies. It still just baffles me there isn't more uproar about this and most are turning a blind eye. Aren't around 60% of EM docs employed by CMGs? None of them are safe. First to go for new grads. It's exactly what I would do if I was an admin. Simple supply and demand. Then the employed hospital positions go. SDGs can hold out but they will have increasing pressure for contract take overs.

Reactions: 1 users
Apparently, they're now owned by LifePoint Health, which looks like either a subsidiary of TH or they have exclusive staffing contracts for their hospitals
Yes, you're correct. Didn't realize RCCH merged with LifePoint. My knowledge of for-profit health systems is waning. :O

Members don't see this ad :)

Lifepoint is a national for-profit chain. They spun off from HCA a number of years ago. No specific relationship to TH. A lot of these hospital chains seem to have a regional contract (or more likely preference) for one or another CMG though.

Anyone want to start placing bets on when grads come on here enmass and have a hard time finding a job? Or predict when the average salary across the country drops to 140/hr?