tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BIGA121781

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone i'm starting a new job as a pharm tech pretty soon. i have no experience however working as a tech or working in a pharmacy for that matter. are there any things that i should know about or any useful tidbits? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

What type of practice setting? Retail? Hospital? Closed-door nursing home?

yes it's a retail pharmacy in a large chain store called meijer's (ohio)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully there are other techs that can give you some helpful hints, but one of the techs at a store I used to intern at always keeps a little spiral notebook with her. In it she keeps notes about the computer system (short codes, etc), and notes about special insurance adjudication issues and how to resolve them (how to do "split billing", for example). She's not only great with the regular patients (she speaks Armenian and Arabic which most of the folks in the community speak), but she knows the answers to quite a few insurance "glitches". The pharmacy manager seems to think she's worth her weight in gold, and I happen to agree.

Originally posted by BIGA121781
yes it's a retail pharmacy in a large chain store called meijer's (ohio)

which meijer are you working at? west, south? My girlfriend is the bookkeeper for the toledo store (central ave).

Anyway...back to the q. Chances are you'll be high volume, so try not to be overwhelmed. I've seen as many as 8 or 9 ppl in our meijer pharm up here wondering around at the same time. Other than that, always ask questions, try to learn new stuff and if you can, learn it on your own. Go print out the basics on shorthand notation and script reading, that way when they throw you on a computer, you'll have a head start on knowing what the Dr is trying to say. Other than that, if you have free time, read package inserts on med indications, or go on a clinical pharmacy site (if the company has one).

yeah they had already thrown me on a computer on the first day when i haven't used their program before...yikes! but yeah i'm in a columbus area store