Technicians vaccinating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score

Kind of surprised no one has started a thread on this yet. Man, what would us simpleton citizens do without our super hero government to casually fly to our rescue and save us just in the nick of time (sarcasm overload)?

Just curious on what other RPhs thoughts and opinions are on this one...I'm under the impression this is just another step for corporate fat cats to cut more RPh in place of cheaper government authorized labor. We did just fine this season with surge flu vaccinator hours dedicated to stores handling the shear volume...those corporate fat cats got to squeeze every penny and lobby the government to undercut RPh and "save" everyone.

I'm frankly terrified at the thought of barely trained/corporate half-ass training that is technicians vaccinating all walks of life...and us RPhs being thrown under the bus/being accountable/liable for their short comings. The level of scope and oversight of an RPh in a retail setting is getting absurd for those of us now doing covid-19 testing already (no minute clinic, no nurses)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Liability insurance would have to go up.

If people want to get a "wild-type" spike protein "inoculum" via their carelessness they should be banned from receiving medical care subsequent to confirmed infection in a just world.

Most retail techs are garbage because anyone good doesn't stay in retail unless bad life circumstances

Same goes for retail pharmacists.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
To be honest I’m just sick and f’ing tired of it all at this point.

That’s all I really have to say about it. What a GD mess this all is.

I am not one of those “religious nut jobs” that Sine Cura despises - but looking at the state of things now I would like to lift my arms in the sky and say:

“oh Jesus come quickly - save us from this mess”

Reactions: 2 users
The state I practice in already allows techs to immunize
But a lot of them don’t feel comfortable or find the increase in pay (which is minimal) to be worth it.
I’ve only met 1 tech who was actually immunization certified

• Hmm
  • Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
If people want to get a "wild-type" spike protein "inoculum" via their carelessness they should be banned from receiving medical care subsequent to confirmed infection in a just world.

Most retail techs are garbage because anyone good doesn't stay in retail unless bad life circumstances

Same goes for retail pharmacists.
Hey! I've known a sawbones or three who were refuse material....You may be an absolute pharmaceutical god....but if you snag a job in retail...don't jump ship too quickly....or you might be on the receiving end of bad circumstances..

To be honest I’m just sick and f’ing tired of it all at this point.

That’s all I really have to say about it. What a GD mess this all is.

I am not one of those “religious nut jobs” that Sine Cura despises - but looking at the state of things now I would like to lift my arms in the sky and say:

“oh Jesus come quickly - save us from this mess”
You could try Vishnu too..not so judgemental...

In reality techs giving vaccines will not be widely implemented in the absence of state boards of pharmacy guidance. I guarantee Walmart would be the last major chain to allow this for technicians. Authorization means jack all without implementation guidance.

RPH get about 1 month training with vaccines and one 2 hour lab to practice administering vaccines. I know this is true because my girlfriend just finished her vaccination training in her first semester of p1. Why can't big corporations like CVS give their techs a one month training and giving them a $1 increase in pay?

Why would they pay $50+/hr for RPHs to talk about their life problems to one another all day while the techs are running practically everything (that's my life with the pharmacists I work with).

The root of my life problems are due to people like you.

Krishna come quickly and save me from your creation!

• Haha
You work with pharmacists that have other pharmacists to talk to at work? Lies.

RPH get about 1 month training with vaccines and one 2 hour lab to practice administering vaccines. I know this is true because my girlfriend just finished her vaccination training in her first semester of p1. Why can't big corporations like CVS give their techs a one month training and giving them a $1 increase in pay?

Why would they pay $50+/hr for RPHs to talk about their life problems to one another all day while the techs are running practically everything (that's my life with the pharmacists I work with).

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

I have yet to meet a tech in retail that actually ran practically everything

Reactions: 4 users

My techs weren’t even able to access and accurately interpret the statewide vaccine registry to determine if somebody had already been vaccinated for something. How are they going to be able to determine who can be vaccinated, and for what?

Some techs will be able to do this well. But most of them don’t work in retail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I'm hoping someone wakes up Cthulhu and the Old Gods return to smite us all. Would be fun to watch. It's not like we don't deserve it....

Reactions: 2 users
Personally I'm hoping someone wakes up Cthulhu and the Old Gods return to smite us all. Would be fun to watch. It's not like we don't deserve it....

I'm hoping for Ra to make an appearance. It would be pretty metal for the world to end by being engulfed by the sun with a giant angry face on it.

Jesus the worst kind of techs are the ones that think they run everything... your pharmacy must be in chaos if you think you are running the show

but maybe not since you work for walmart

• Haha
I'm hoping for Ra to make an appearance. It would be pretty metal for the world to end by being engulfed by the sun with a giant angry face on it.
Yeah. Sounds fun. That would be a close second for me. Or even better, the sun with a huge smilie face on it! Kind of like a sadistic version of the Walmart logo! Die Puny Humans!!!!

The state I practice in already allows techs to immunize
But a lot of them don’t feel comfortable or find the increase in pay (which is minimal) to be worth it.
I’ve only met 1 tech who was actually immunization certified
Interesting perspective on the subject matter; I just find it very hard to believe techs would actively go for immunizer status given the historically dismal pay from big chains. Sounds like a big PR claim lacking important details of course...big old corporations and government swoop in to save mankind (sarcasm > 9,000!) from the big bad COVID-19 (imagining this will result in little if anything other than RPhs taking the brunt of more hour cuts/continuously do more with less (good/quality/skilled labor) help).

Money certainly talks & incentive for retaining skilled pharmacy technicians will continue to be a struggle in a retail setting

OR...we could have the passive aggressive Christian God send a slow burning pandemic to make us all miserable to the point where we all just WISH we were dead. Oh....wait....

Have we invoked the Greek gods yet?

Oh Zeus!! Wielder of thunder! Come quickly and strike us all down with your thunderous bolts! Its gone too far!

If techs want a pay raise perhaps they should have a little more than zero institutional memory

You know the type with pharmacists. Come in, do the minimum, can't track problem issues longitudinally, have to look up Facts & Comparisons for the most trivial of dosing issues, leave a pile of garbage for the next pharmacist.

• Haha
If techs want a pay raise perhaps they should have a little more than zero institutional memory

You know the type with pharmacists. Come in, do the minimum, can't track problem issues longitudinally, have to look up Facts & Comparisons for the most trivial of dosing issues, leave a pile of garbage for the next pharmacist.
1604590378363.png

My message for these types...stop overthinking trivial/knit-picking stuff. "Git er duuunnn" also acceptable

I know it's a chicken and egg thing

Don't pay people well, can't get anyone good. Well I haven't had any decent new hires (that stick) @ $20-21 in over a year and I know CVS and Safeway pay people less. People like the money but not the accountability

Can't get anyone good, so why bother paying anyone well. That's the MO of retail chains.

Well doesn't change the fact that most techs and pharmacists don't function well in this clown show retail environment

Reactions: 5 users