Technion TeAMS is an awesome program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IzzyMD09

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
removed

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Dawkins, I applied to Technion. Please inform me why Technion is lackadaisical and why it neglects the academic needs of the American students?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a current first year at teams, and let me tell you, from what I can tell so far, there is absolutely no problem with the current program.

I was also scared by all the hoopla being posted on these forums last year, and from what I can gather, many of the concerns were sound, but the program has instituted a lot of changes over the last few years, and especially in the past few months, thanks to the new dean of the program.

Changes like the switch from a number grade to pass/fail, the making the taking of the USMLE mandatory to progress, and the trimming and shaping of the schedule by removing unnecessary classes, as well as pending changes to the research project. And next year a USMLE prep course is going to be added.

It's true that the match last year was dismal. But I think it was only because of the kinks of a very young program. The problem wasn't with the Technion itself, because the match of the previous Touro program was actually pretty good. Most of the professors are great (although I will admit that some are tough to understand), the material is very similar to that of some of my peers in the US, and the facilities are great too.

But still, it would be interesting to see how last years 4th years do on this coming match now that they've taken the boards. I suppose that will be the true test. In the meantime, no harm in applying.

I am a current student at the TeAMS program and I second the views expressed by eblashko above. Prior posts on this website (as well as the blog referenced above) do not accurately reflect current reality. While it is true that last year's graduating class did have a difficult experience, that is prior history, and the program is taking the steps to ensure that the student experience and match results improve dramatically. The new dean is in the process of making sweeping changes in the program, and his approach is very student-focused. Technion has the resources and faculty to be a great program, and the changes currently underway will pave the way for TeAMS to post strong match results in the near term. While the current 4th year class may not enjoy the full benefits of the program changes, match results will continue to improve for each successive graduating class. If you are considering medical school in Israel, I would encourage you to apply to TeAMS as well. Feel free to ask any questions about the program, or PM me.

Best of luck in the application process.

Count me as one more Technion student in agreement with eblashko. Of course there are some things that could be better, but that's true of any school. Considering that the program is in it's infancy, I think the school has addressed and corrected the previous problems in impressive time. For me, the program has been awesome so far. We have a lot of really great professors, the classes are challenging but appropriate, and the administration had been really, really proactive about making changes for the betterment of the program.

I too was a little wary after reading some of the things that are being said on the forums and on 'that' site, but I talked to people at the school and I was really satisfied with their response. I accepted the offer and I am really glad I came.

I concur with what the three students before me have said.

Anyone with any questions about the program is welcome to PM me as well. Are there issues and things that can be improved? certainly. But as Eblashko and Steelroof mentioned, there have been some significant developments as of late, most notably the appointment of a new Dean of Students, who is approachable, open to feedback from the students (both positive and negative) , and eager to make the changes necessary to make the TeAMS program even better. I am truly happy with my decision to attend this school.

Wow. Just a reminder for everyone to keep the thread clean and on track. While all opinions can be stated, it sounds like some people have grievances which are over and above others' experiences and may border on libellous. Those viewing should keep in mind that all statements on SDN should be taken with a grain of salt and it is up to you to do your own research into a particular facility.

To be honest, I do not know anything about Technion. However, there are technion and sackler grads in my program and all have done a satisfactory job in residency and do not seem to harbor any grudges against Technion.

For those of you reading these posts who are seriously interested in Technion, I advise you to reach out to current students in the program to get a balanced and fair assessment of the school – both pros and cons.
The posts above were made because there have been important changes recently implemented in the program that many students feel reflect a genuine desire on the part of the administration to improve the program and place it on par with its peers. We would like to assist students who are considering the program to better understand what the school offers, and whether it is appropriate for any given applicant. This has nothing to do with residency placement or trying to inflate the school’s reputation, as this is clearly not the forum for that.
For the record, I am not a first year student in a “honeymoon period,” and I suspect that some of the posts above are being made by people who are not currently students in the program. Don’t believe everything you read on these forums – do some legwork and diligence the schools you are considering by speaking to current students. That is your best source of information.

I agree with Dawkins in that reaching out to past students is definitely imperative. I did my due diligence before choosing to attend the Technion, as did most (if not all) of my classmates. I spoke to recent graduates, as well as graduates who were already completing their residencies. Dawkins is right in that getting opinions from a wide range of students is important when choosing a school, and that the opinions of students who started at any given program, but failed to complete the course of study, might be vastly different from the opinions of those who spent 4 years at a school. Obviously it should be noted that the opinion of a student who successfully completed his/her medical training at a given school, will be different than the opinion of a student who was not given the opportunity to finish his/her training.

FTR, successful completion of the USMLE is required before stepping foot on the wards, as any current student will tell you.

I am not sure what all the babbling about Touro has to do with anything. Touro and Technion have no affiliation anymore. The student body at NYMC signed a petition last January or February, which they submitted to the CEO of NYMC, protesting the merger with Touro. I am really not sure why any of this is at all relevant to this discussion whatsoever.

We are here because we *want* to be here, not because we *have* to be here! Are there kinks? definitely. Do we have complaints? of course we do- but thankfully, not unlike most schools, there are conduits through which we can voice our concerns.

Does anybody know when, and with what frequency/regularity, Technion notifies candidates of the final decision?

Does anybody know when, and with what frequency/regularity, Technion notifies candidates of the final decision?

Have you interviewed already? If so, you can check with admissions to see if a final decision has been made on your file.

hey thanks. yeah, I interview in late January. would they actually tell you of their decision if you were to call to check on your status.

hey thanks. yeah, I interview in late January. would they actually tell you of their decision if you were to call to check on your status.

Yep. You can just e-mail Rinat to ask. That's what I did, and she replied that I had been accepted (also interviewed late Jan). Acceptance packets are being mailed, but I haven't received mine yet.

thanks so much.
did she give you an idea as to when the packages would be sent?

To all the prospective students:

Don't worry about all these posts trying to scare you away from the program. Every username is just one vindictive and obsessed guy who's trying to get revenge against the school for his own shortcomings.

I'm a current first year and I was almost scared away by these posts too. I'm so thankful that I decided to take the chance and come. I'm very happy here. The program is great, and with the new dean, it just keeps getting better and better.

I suggest you take all advice on this forum, both criticism and praise, with a grain of salt. If you're considering the program, go into one of the facebook groups (every year has its group) and send a message to some of the current students. Because I assure you, most of the angry students you find here are just in fact one miserable person bent on defaming our school.

Yep. You can just e-mail Rinat to ask. That's what I did, and she replied that I had been accepted (also interviewed late Jan). Acceptance packets are being mailed, but I haven't received mine yet.

@manoosh and @rabsa

CONGRATS! If you guys have any questions at all about Technion, please feel free to ask (you may prefer to contact me through Private Messaging, whichever). I am a first year and I absolutely love it. I really didn't know what to expect when I accepted (and I almost didn't come) but it is even better than I could have imagined. Every single person in the first year is fantastic and we get along so well (28 of us, in one class room, all-day-long!) but we still love each other. The academics are challenging but in the best way possible. Our professors all have strong research backgrounds and really care about our understanding of their topics. Haifa is a beautiful city and the school is literally 5 minutes from the Mediterranean. You really can't get a better environment than that. But I''ll admit, it does makes it hard to stay inside to study!

So if you have any questions, please feel free to contact any first year because we would all say the same exact thing: Technion is a great choice! You should be very proud of yourselves! Congrats!

Rachel- I take it from your last few posts that you have some major grievances with Technion. And I also take it that you are NOT a Technion student nor have you ever been a Technion student. Perhaps you are a potential student, who knows. All these things you have said are hearsay. Maybe you should hold your tongue rather than regurgitating the posts of others. IF you have something to new say that you can find out from your visits to Haifa, great. But do no pretend you know about the Techion and it's workings from reading a defamatory website. Thanks.

Anyone reading the article in The Jewish Week will notice that BGU is about 33% Jewish and the Technion attracts mainly Jewish students. In my class there is/was only 1 non-Jew. I think this is a large asset for BGU and a detriment for the Technion.

Did you seriously just say a program is better because there are less Jews in it?

Dear Lord. Okay, this thread is being closed. Please bring up civil discussion in a new post. Anti-semitism or any anti-gender/race/orientation comments will not be tolerated in these forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.