Technique for Reading comprehension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imthebluffmaste

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey i just wanted to ask for some tips regarding the reading comprehension section.

Most sources ive referred to are a split been the "search and destroy method"----searching for answers w/o reading passage or after skimming the passage and jotting down notes Or Reading and then answering

Im not a fast reader and i have trouble answering questions without having some general concept of the passage. I want to score a 20+ on this section so was wondering if anybody could give any tips on a APPROACH to practice....and also a good practice test source for the reading section---achiever perhaps?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey i just wanted to ask for some tips regarding the reading comprehension section.

Most sources ive referred to are a split been the "search and destroy method"----searching for answers w/o reading passage or after skimming the passage and jotting down notes Or Reading and then answering

Im not a fast reader and i have trouble answering questions without having some general concept of the passage. I want to score a 20+ on this section so was wondering if anybody could give any tips on a APPROACH to practice....and also a good practice test source for the reading section---achiever perhaps?
You need to be a fast reader if you're planing to get anything above 18.
How to become a fast reader?
Pick up a book, an article, a scientific journal, etc. or anything that you're interested in, and try to read couple of pages every night. Try to speed up the process every couple of days, and see if you can still retain the info. Practice, practice, and practice some more!
You must become an efficient reader, before you decide what technique you want to use to approach the RC (be it S&D or any other technique).
After you become a fast reader you can pick a technique and choose practice exams provided by:
-KAPLAN
-Achiever
-TopScore

Furthermore, the same company that offers CDP has a software that provides you with more RC practice exams.

You need to be a fast reader if you're planing to get anything above 18.
How to become a fast reader?
Pick up a book, an article, a scientific journal, etc. or anything that you're interested in, and try to read couple of pages every night. Try to speed up the process every couple of days, and see if you can still retain the info. Practice, practice, and practice some more!
You must become an efficient reader, before you decide what technique you want to use to approach the RC (be it S&D or any other technique).
After you become a fast reader you can pick a technique and choose practice exams provided by:
-KAPLAN
-Achiever
-TopScore

Furthermore, the same company that offers CDP has a software that provides you with more RC practice exams.

good advice :thumbup:

you just have to read fast.
i got the piano passage and despite its reputation, i didn't think it was too complicated. i just tried to read all the passages as quickly as possible and also used the search and destroy technique.

the vocabulary used in the passages are not very hard either. if you can read you biology textbook then you're fine.

What I do is go through the first 10 or so questions before reading the passage and write down key words from the questions, not the passage. I than read the passage while keeping an eye on the keywords I wrote down. After I answer a few questions I read the rest of the questions, write more key words from the new questions and finish reading the passage. Writing down words from the questions helps me remember what I am looking for. Any question I skip, I am usually able to answer after I finish reading the passage. I have only done one topscore practice RC section doing this so far and I got a 23.

What I do is go through the first 10 or so questions before reading the passage and write down key words from the questions, not the passage. I than read the passage while keeping an eye on the keywords I wrote down. After I answer a few questions I read the rest of the questions, write more key words from the new questions and finish reading the passage. Writing down words from the questions helps me remember what I am looking for. Any question I skip, I am usually able to answer after I finish reading the passage. I have only done one topscore practice RC section doing this so far and I got a 23.

Nice strat, gonna try this one tomorrow