LMav

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2005
80
0
Status
Hey Guys,

Anybody in the same boat as me? I asked three dentists to collect teeth for me, like about 4 months ago. When I go to them today, two of them said they had none and the third had only 15 or so. I am really freaking out right now. I am starting classes at UAB in 2 weeks. What do I do now? Anybody any suggestions.

Thanks
Lmav
 

54807

Guest
10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2004
496
1
Status
Academic Administration
LMav said:
Hey Guys,

Anybody in the same boat as me? I asked three dentists to collect teeth for me, like about 4 months ago. When I go to them today, two of them said they had none and the third had only 15 or so. I am really freaking out right now. I am starting classes at UAB in 2 weeks. What do I do now? Anybody any suggestions.

Thanks
Lmav

So I work at an oral surgery office and out of the 15 assistants or so, I think I am the only one who collects teeth for the dental students. I STRONGLY suggest you call up the dentists or os and ask if you can stop by at the staff meeting.

It sounds goofy but you will get a MUCH better response when the assistants actually get to meet you and realize that you really need the teeth. To them you're just a wierd guy/girl that likes teeth with your name on a jar. Takes just a simple 30 secs to say, "hi I am a dental student and we use these teeth for practice or dental anatomy and it would be great if you could collect whatever teeth for me you can. I have PROVIDED this container with this solution. Thanks." Then spend $20 once you get all your teeth and buy them some desserts or something.

Just a suggestion. But like at my office, you could probably rake up 20 wizzies a day, lots of them get cut up though. Not so many other teeth though. Occasionally we'll get deciduous teeth from kids.

Best of luck!
 

dexadental

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
1,050
1
35
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Status
Dental Student
Not a big deal, I'm sure people in your class will let you borrow teeth if you need them, same thing happened to me at a few places, one periodontist who seemed really excited to be collecting them for me basically told me he had forgot and lost my container.
 
About the Ads

Leeuwenhoek

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2004
174
0
Status
Which schools (that you know of) require you to have pre-collected teeth before starting dental schools? Or is it all of them?
 

dexadental

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
1,050
1
35
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Status
Dental Student
I think most all of them - at Nova we have a first year dental anatomy course but I have no idea what we'll physically do with the teeth.
 

coral2005

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2005
259
0
36
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Status
Dental Student
I put my teeth in a 1:1 bleach/water ratio. I think it's time for me to dump that solution and put them in Listerine..

lol

I can't help it. I don't like the way the smelled and I don't like germs..and if my teeth crumble from being too brittle, that's a price I'm willing to pay. I'll just go collect some more later on.

I don't think we need them till the spring... Do you know anything about that Dexadental?
 

4thQtrDreams

Good times, for a change.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2004
455
0
San Francisco
www.predents.com
Status
Dental Student
its funny.. every time i read these posts i thought they were part of a long running joke that Dental students had going at the expense of frantic pre-dents
:D
 

DMD to Be

not luffin' this weather.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2006
387
0
Status
Pre-Dental
LMav said:
Hey Guys,

Anybody in the same boat as me? I asked three dentists to collect teeth for me, like about 4 months ago. When I go to them today, two of them said they had none and the third had only 15 or so. I am really freaking out right now. I am starting classes at UAB in 2 weeks. What do I do now? Anybody any suggestions.

Thanks
Lmav
Hey, I know this has nothing to do with collecting teeth...but, I saw that you're going to UAB and that's my number one school. I'm an AL resident... I have already sent out my application, and I'm taking the DAT in about 3 weeks. With my GPA, what kind of DAT should I shoot for? What were your stats and how was the interview? Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much, and good luck w/ the teeth. :D
 

dexadental

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
1,050
1
35
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Status
Dental Student
coral2005 said:
I put my teeth in a 1:1 bleach/water ratio. I think it's time for me to dump that solution and put them in Listerine..

lol

I can't help it. I don't like the way the smelled and I don't like germs..and if my teeth crumble from being too brittle, that's a price I'm willing to pay. I'll just go collect some more later on.

I don't think we need them till the spring... Do you know anything about that Dexadental?
Hey Coral,
I know we were told to register for dental anatomy and dental anatomy lab for the fall so I think we'll be using them. I hope not though, because I haven't changed the solution on mine since I picked them up a few weeks ago and I'm pretty sure none of the dentists did either. I bet they are pretty brittle but like you, I'll just collect new ones, not a big deal.
 

BeachLuvr

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2004
299
0
Houston, Texas
Status
Don't freak out ~ Many schools don't start using the teeth you collect for quite awhile into the school year.

A great place to ask for teeth is from an oral surgeon, since they do a lot of pulling -- minded, you will likely get mainly molars, and odd looking 3 molars ... but, they're teeth.

Also, I found it helpful to call the dentists who were collecting teeth from me about 1/2 way from the time I expected to pick them up ... just asked, "about how full was the jar" at this point. One, it let me know how many they had collected to this point so I could gauge where I was...and two, it was a mild kick in the toosh to the dentist ... or assistant... to not forget me!

Best Wishes,

Beach
 

tissy

U.S. Public Health Service
10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2005
787
20
Connecticut
Status
Dentist
LMav said:
Hey Guys,

Anybody in the same boat as me? I asked three dentists to collect teeth for me, like about 4 months ago. When I go to them today, two of them said they had none and the third had only 15 or so. I am really freaking out right now. I am starting classes at UAB in 2 weeks. What do I do now? Anybody any suggestions.

Thanks
Lmav
Do you live near a Air Force base? If you do, the dental clinic always keep a huge load of teeth b/c the techs discard them at the end of the month. So if your near one, call them up and they would be happy to help you out.
 
OP
L

LMav

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2005
80
0
Status
DMD to Be said:
Hey, I know this has nothing to do with collecting teeth...but, I saw that you're going to UAB and that's my number one school. I'm an AL resident... I have already sent out my application, and I'm taking the DAT in about 3 weeks. With my GPA, what kind of DAT should I shoot for? What were your stats and how was the interview? Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much, and good luck w/ the teeth. :D
Hey,
Good luck with the dat. My dat scores were 23-aa, 25-science, 20-pat. I think the interview was not at all stressful. Have you ever met with Dr. Filler? He is such a nice guy. He makes you feel so comfortable. I think you will do good. So just keep working hard and your fingers crossed. :)

LMav
 
OP
L

LMav

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2005
80
0
Status
tissy said:
Do you live near a Air Force base? If you do, the dental clinic always keep a huge load of teeth b/c the techs discard them at the end of the month. So if your near one, call them up and they would be happy to help you out.
Hey Tissy,

I dont live near an air force base but thanks for your suggestion.

Thanks
Lmav
 

DMD to Be

not luffin' this weather.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2006
387
0
Status
Pre-Dental
LMav said:
Hey,
Good luck with the dat. My dat scores were 23-aa, 25-science, 20-pat. I think the interview was not at all stressful. Have you ever met with Dr. Filler? He is such a nice guy. He makes you feel so comfortable. I think you will do good. So just keep working hard and your fingers crossed. :)

LMav
I think I'll do okay on the DAT, maybe not as good as you...Wow! Those are great scores. If you don't mind my asking, how long did you study to get those scores? And yes, I've met w/ Dr. Filler twice. He comes to my school every year. He is a super nice guy!!
 

DMD to Be

not luffin' this weather.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2006
387
0
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey LMav,
Another quick question
When did they call you in to interview? And when did you know you were accepted?
Thanks a lot!!!
 

coral2005

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2005
259
0
36
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Status
Dental Student
Has anyone ever stored their extracted teeth in CREST Pro-Health??

Would that be an effective storing solution after having had the teeth in a chlorine solution for a couple weeks??
 
OP
L

LMav

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2005
80
0
Status
DMD to Be said:
Hey LMav,
Another quick question
When did they call you in to interview? And when did you know you were accepted?
Thanks a lot!!!
I had my interview on Oct 26th. On 1st Dec, 8 am Dr.Filler called me to tell that I was accepted. Yes, he is amazing. He takes time to personally call all the students and let them know that they have been accepted.
 
About the Ads