Telepharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baggywrinkle

cranky old fart
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any of you folks been exposed to or practiced in a telepharmacy environment?

Does this mean I can work from home in my underwear? I'm up for it!

Seriously, I encountered the idea here;

http://www.rphonthego.com/federal.html#q3

then found a pilot program in North Dakota;

http://telepharmacy.ndsu.nodak.edu/

What are they teaching in pharmacy school about this form of practice?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Caverject said:
too bad Rite-Aid has you by the underwear for the next couple years! :laugh:

I kissed Rite Aid goodbye. I'm a free agent (read that unemployed)

Anna, eat your heart out. It looks like I'm going to Madigan, but like your mamma always told you, never put all your eggs in one basket. Alaska beacons and so does Burger King....

It's in the experimental phases through the UMN Department of Informatics right now along with the Interoperability implementation. I think Pitt is also doing a project. So far, it's going well but it raises complex legal issues.

1. Can I license this computer as a pharmacist (in terms of pill checking)?
2. So, I enter a Rx in MN, another pharmacist verifies it incorrectly in PA, and a pharmacist in TX fills correctly for the incorrect drug. Who's responsible?
3. Imaging quality (same as the radiology issues with PACS in the early years.)
4. Why verify in the first place?

Yeah, I would be nice to remote verify from my new home in Tuvalu.

baggywrinkle said:

Anna, eat your heart out. It looks like I'm going to Madigan, but like your mamma always told you, never put all your eggs in one basket. Alaska beacons and so does Burger King....

baggywrinkle said:

How did you swing that? I thought you had to be there for a certain amount of years?

baggywrinkle said:

Fred Meyer in Tacoma may still be looking for someone. I will see if I can hear anything else from the grapevine.

lord999 said:
Yeah, I would be nice to remote verify from my new home in Tuvalu.

That is the appeal for me. Working from home would be too cool.

I read a study from Medline where a telepharmacy monitored night supervisor
activities. Over a three month period they verified 1000 night shift orders
and had to wake the pharmacist on call to go in twice. Speaking as someone who has carried the on call beeper and been at the mercy of night nurses who couldn't find their way out of a paper bag with a road map let alone an ampule of droperidol in a poorly lit pharmacy, I can understand the appeal. The physicians, pharmacists, and nurses all liked the program.

RPh on the go seems to specialize in Federal pharmacies where any old pharmacy license will do.