Teleradiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

francisdoss

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is real and it is being practiced full front in the Europe and other countries .Atfer the xray are taken, they are shipped overseas for diagnosis via the internet and the results are shipped back.Its matter of minutes..I know most healthcare professional know about it.What reaction is that going to triger in that speciality?

Members don't see this ad.

It is real and it is being practiced full front in the Europe and other countries .Atfer the xray are taken, they are shipped overseas for diagnosis via the internet and the results are shipped back.Its matter of minutes..I know most healthcare professional know about it.What reaction is that going to triger in that speciality?

Almost nil, thanks to lawyers. Maybe some day, but not something to worry about in the near term.
Some places use these nighthawk systems sparingly, but you still need a US radiologist to re-review the films again the following morning, for liablity reasons. Without being able to point to a single US licensed radiologist who actually read the films when mistakes are made it makes for an indefensible lawsuit.
BTW you should use the search function -- this exact discussion has come up multiple times in the last year.

Moving to Radiology where the folks most directly affected by this may comment.

Members don't see this ad :)

Interesting how every couple months someone writes a post (either on this forum or in the papers) on how they have discovered this "new" phenomenon called teleradiology and wondering how it will effect radiology.

For god's sakes, do a little search on the internet and you will find thousands of posts, opinions, official statements, etc. ad nauseum over the last six or more years here and all over the net.

I knew this idiot girl in undergrad who was "going to be a radiologist". When asked the reasons for this career choice, she replied, "Well, you can, like, live on a boat, in the Caribbean, & they just beam in the x-rays & you just, like, read them, and email off a report."

Needless to say, not only is she not reading films from the Caribbean ... she couldn't even get into med school in the Caribbean.