Teletherapy Oregon to Mexico (Cancun)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

super.ego

Psychologist
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has experience conducting teletherapy in Mexico and can share some information on potential legislation for which I'd need to look out? I'm located in Oregon and a current client plans to relocate to Mexico. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you need to consult Mexican law.

Reactions: 2 users
TL; DR: you need an international attorney and a local one. You're potentially risking large amounts of money, and your ability to travel.

In addition to having Mexican law apply, you're also facing the issue of insurance and billing. You cannot bill CMS for international stuff.

Then there is the issue of how to hospitalize someone, or notify authorities.

Then there is the issue of data security, as required by Mexico.

Then there is tax law, sales tax, VAT, and whatever else is incorporated into international business with Mexico.

Then there is the issue of being sued in Mexico. Sounds like a pain to drive down there, hire a Mexican attorney, and defend yourself.

Then there is the issue of work visas in Mexico.

Then there is issue of the international travel implications of screwing up. If you get barred from entrance into Mexico for violating their laws, does that affect your rights to travel to the EU or other places?

Then there is the issue of how your state license board would handle a complaint. Are they going to be angry if they learn you are doing this? Who knows?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you need to consult Mexican law.

TL; DR: you need an international attorney and a local one. You're potentially risking large amounts of money, and your ability to travel.

In addition to having Mexican law apply, you're also facing the issue of insurance and billing. You cannot bill CMS for international stuff.

Then there is the issue of how to hospitalize someone, or notify authorities.

Then there is the issue of data security, as required by Mexico.

Then there is tax law, sales tax, VAT, and whatever else is incorporated into international business with Mexico.

Then there is the issue of being sued in Mexico. Sounds like a pain to drive down there, hire a Mexican attorney, and defend yourself.

Then there is the issue of work visas in Mexico.

Then there is issue of the international travel implications of screwing up. If you get barred from entrance into Mexico for violating their laws, does that affect your rights to travel to the EU or other places?

Then there is the issue of how your state license board would handle a complaint. Are they going to be angry if they learn you are doing this? Who knows?

Thank you for bringing these considerations to my awareness! Yeah... I'll stay away from this option.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for bringing these considerations to my awareness! Yeah... I'll stay away from this option.
Good call, likely more trouble than it is worth unless they are paying you A LOT of money, like you could retire if you lost your license money.