PhD/PsyD Intern Teletherapy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WMG-2021

Reaction score
Hello!

So, largely in part to the COVID-19 pandemic, my internship site is shifting to provide services through teletherapy, with most providers encouraged to do so from home. However, I reside in a different state from where my site is located (I live in PA, site is in MD). The question I have is how legal (given COVID-19) is it for me to conduct teletherapy from PA with clients who are in MD assuming I have supervision by someone licensed in MD? I contacted the licensure board for PA and they indicated it was legal on their side of things due to COVID-19, but I can't determine if it's the case for MD. Any and all insight and suggestions would be so helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

The most important piece of the puzzle is where the patient is, that is where the service technically occurs. You need to make sure that PA and MD have some type of reciprocity. Neither is a PSYPACT state that I am aware of.

The most important piece of the puzzle is where the patient is, that is where the service technically occurs. You need to make sure that PA and MD have some type of reciprocity. Neither is a PSYPACT state that I am aware of.
So PA just became a PsyPact state in May of this year, but MD still has not yet joined it looks like. I'll look in to seeing if PA & MD have reciprocity here. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
What does your intern site say about it? They might have their own separate guidelines or preferences as well.

What does your intern site say about it? They might have their own separate guidelines or preferences as well.
They are okay with it so long as the states are okay with it. My training & clinical director encouraged me to directly reach out to the licensing boards.

They are okay with it so long as the states are okay with it. My training & clinical director encouraged me to directly reach out to the licensing boards.

They may be a place to start, but it's not as much of a licensing board issue as it is a legal billing issue. And, many states have had a lot of quick changes back and forth with the pandemic. For example, a state that borders mine just rescinded their order that allowed cross state telehealth, because apparently the pandemic is over? You may have to check very recent legislation as well as the LCDs and documentation from insurers, as they may also differ in how they handle this.

I just took the 4-part APA Telepsychology training series and the presenter spoke a lot about this. It seems very complicated and often inadvisable, from a risk/safety perspective, to do telehealth from a different state than your patient is in (with the exception of the PSYPACT states). I recommend the training (it's free right now) if you are thinking of doing this.

This was my life for the past three or four months as an intern at a UCC. I'd be happy to answer questions. Staff at our center were seeing students in states where they were licensed. We, as interns, were limited to seeing students in the state where the UCC was located even if our supervisors held licenses in other states.

This was my life for the past three or four months as an intern at a UCC. I'd be happy to answer questions. Staff at our center were seeing students in states where they were licensed. We, as interns, were limited to seeing students in the state where the UCC was located even if our supervisors held licenses in other states.
This is actually my exact situation! Did you have any interns who were residing in a state other than the one your UCC was located conducting teletherapy?

This is actually my exact situation! Did you have any interns who were residing in a state other than the one your UCC was located conducting teletherapy?

We were all in the state where the UCC was located and could only see clients in that state. Like others have said, I think what matters most is if your supervisor is licensed in the state where you're providing services. I know people who reside in one state, but provide tele-health in another. So it's thing. Obviously talk with your DCT and primary supervisor about what the requirements for internship are and what they will allow. I hold master's licenses in more than one state and could not use them for internship because of my training role.

Don't know if you've seen this already:

Temporary/Telepsychology Practice and COVID19 - The Association of State and Provincial Psychology Boards