PhD/PsyD Oregon Jurisprudence Exam for Psychologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fuzzylogik

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently licensed in another stated and will be sitting for the Oregon Jurisprudence Exam later this year. There are a couple of threads that have asked this question in the past but no answers -- any suggestions on how to study? What the exam focuses on? Is it open or closed book? Personal experiences? Third party study materials? Any information would be good information right now. The data available online through their website is incredibly vague.

Many thanks,
Fuzzylogik

Members don't see this ad.

I too am getting ready to take the exam. I am curious to know how difficult the exam is compared to the EPPP and how people have studied.

Reactions: 1 user
I am currently licensed in another stated and will be sitting for the Oregon Jurisprudence Exam later this year. There are a couple of threads that have asked this question in the past but no answers -- any suggestions on how to study? What the exam focuses on? Is it open or closed book? Personal experiences? Third party study materials? Any information would be good information right now. The data available online through their website is incredibly vague.

Many thanks,
Fuzzylogik
If the information isn't on the licensing board website, I'd definitely call and ask them about the logistics (content, closed v. open book, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
Although to be honest I scored a 50% on the sample items, but mainly because I think their answer was not the best choice. Having someone upgrade your billing and documentation software doesn't mean that you necessarily have to or ever should provide access to confidential patient information so I was questioning the ethics of the bartering more. I hate those types of questions with "the most correct answer".

From the applicable state website:

"The Oregon Jurisprudence Examination is an open book, multiple-choice examination with a time limit of 2 hours. Copies of the Statutes ORS 675.010-150; Oregon Administrative Rules Chapter 858; APA Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct, 2002, and, the Statutes Pertaining to the Practice of Psychology, are provided to candidates at the examination and turned in with all test materials after completion of the exam, or after the time limit has expired, whichever occurs first."

I would prepare by getting hold of copies of the referenced documents (all should be available online). I studied for the two jurisprudence exams I took by spending a few hours each day in the week before the test reviewing and taking notes on the materials, establishing mnemonics were applicable, and just plain rote memorizing other stuff. It shouldn't be too much material to cram into your head. Most questions were pretty straightforward, and even the potentially more convoluted ethics and scenario based ones weren't too difficult. Trickiest ones were along the lines or "what state employee hears appeals regarding ethical complaint" type of questions, but there were only a few of those.

Although to be honest I scored a 50% on the sample items, but mainly because I think their answer was not the best choice. Having someone upgrade your billing and documentation software doesn't mean that you necessarily have to or ever should provide access to confidential patient information so I was questioning the ethics of the bartering more. I hate those types of questions with "the most correct answer".

Thank you.

I'm planning to sit for the Oregon exam as well. Any tips? I've only completed the Maryland jurisprudence exam, which wasn't bad.

Reactions: 1 user