Tell about your home programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obgyngatorgirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought this could be a chance for people to brag (or not!) about the program where they did their medical school training, so that we can have an idea of what to expect as we're preparing to interview.

I'm from UF (Gainesville) but I also rotated at UF Jax, and I think they're both awesome!! The residents are very nice, they seem fairly relaxed at both programs (though Jax is much busier) and they help each other out. The attendings are also great - Dr. Duff at G'ville and Dr. Seibel at Jax are two of my major role models. As far as local living, Gainesville is a nice quiet town, and Jax is an up and coming major city.

I look forward to hearing everyone else's comments!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Residents are great. Attendings are older and stuck in their ways, knowledge of the field is incredible though. Gyn experience is very good. You get to assist on gyn onc cases your first year. Didactic sessions on Friday really prepare residents for oral boards. There is good experience in all the specialities. However the program is located in the city of Syracuse, which is gray, depressing, and snowing most of the year. If anyone has any specific questions feel free to contact me.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a great program. Urogyn, Gyn Onc, and MFM fellowships make these experiences really top notch. There is no REI fellowship, but the program still has very good REI experiences (chair of CCF ob/gyn is famous REI). Surgical training is amazing (which isn't suprising considering you are at the Cleveland Clinic). Wed afternoon is protected education time where attendings cover L+D, floors, and all cases. Despite its reputation, I think Cleveland is a great place to live with a reasonable cost of living. You could easily buy a nice house here on a resident's salary.

I hope that helps! :)

Great program. Tons of deliveries, good surgical volume, and early experience. There are opportunities throughout to operate with docs in private practice. The attendings are all nice and approachable. Residents are awesome, get along well, and seem very happy. Winston-Salem has an outstanding cost of living and is great if you are married, not so much if you are single, which is why its not at the top of my list.

:) TUH is at North Philadelphia, about 10 mins from center city. We take care of mostly inner city population, mostly underserved. Since I've only had ob/gyn experience at TUH so I can't really compared to other programs. But I really enjoyed my time at TUH.

We have large # of both Ob and GYN cases (while doing sub I, there was at least 4 vag hys during my week and a half). Attendings are all great, few old timers, and few younger attendings. My fav part about this program is the chair of the program. Dr Hernandez is a great surgeon (gyn onc), and even better mentor. He meets with all the residents weekly to just discuss how the residents are doing. He seems to be very invested in the residents. The programs have total of 21 residents, ~40% are FMG. As with anything, some are better than others, but everybody is nice, and not malignant at all. From last year's graduate, we have 3 who are working at university hospitals in Philly, 1 went down to South to work, and 1 went to Gyn/Onc fellowship in UAB.

Philly is a great place to get medical education; there are 5 med schools in Philly and lots of hospitals. Fun place to live. Great food. Rent is not cheap, but not as expensive as other big city like NYC/Boston/DC.

I would be perfectly happy if I stay at TUH, even though my fiancé wants to leave and go back to upstate NY.
If any question, don't hesitate to ask!:D

I've posted most of this in the Texas thread already, but here goes... Great attendings for the most part. Diabetes is the specialty down here - there are 2 diabetic clinics a week in ob, so you'll really be prepared to take care of it when you finish. NF is in place - works Sund - Thurs 7 pm to checkout at 7 am. There are 3 morning conferences from 7:30-8:30 am that NF must stay for also. Wed afternoons are didactic days - with midwives and attendings covering for protected time. Serves a predominantly spanish speaking, indigent population, although the county has a program called Carelink which is an "insurance" program for the working poor (<200-300% poverty level) where they pay a sliding scale based on income and all services are through University Hospital and university clinics ... so you have a dedicated patient population to practice with.
San Antonio sounds like the opposite of Syracuse - it's bright, HOT, and sunny nearly all year (summer lasts from early april to mid october). Great cost of living - one of the few housing markets that never really took off, so it's still growing instead of crashing. Area around the medical center is very safe, quiet except for the ambulances and helicopters. Great mexican food (hence all the diabetes)!

Someone has already posted about the Baylor program but here is my take as a fourth year medical student. The Baylor program is a great program. There have been some issues in the past but I think the new PD is doing a great job with the interim chair to build the program. There was a recent post that we lost all the MFMs but they are hiring MFMs like crazy, in fact two started this month and they are both great! We also have a new birthing center with Texas Childrens that should be completed by 2010 that will be one of our rotations. The program had a malignant reputation but I think that is not true anymore. The residents that I have interacted with are wonderful (with the exception of a few, but every program will have that =)) and are very willing to teach. They work hard but they have bonding sessions like drinks every Thursday after night team finishes. And it seems that they try really hard to stick within the 80 hr week. The attendings are great and give the residents a lot of autonomy, so if you like that I would give BCM a serious look. And you honestly will have a hard time beating the numbers of cases that the residents perform. Houston is also a great city, there is a lot of diversity here and it rarely gets colder than 40s. But it does rain a lot, so bring your umbrella. Feel free to PM with questions.

Just wondering MJZOEY how you felt about the safety at Temple. I actually decided not to apply because, when I went touring Philly previewing programs, Temple was in one of the worst getto's I've ever seen. Now I have lived in big cities before and lived in Africa, so I am not just scared by the urban nature of it, but this was seriously intense. It looked like bombs had blown out half of the houses.
How did you feel rotating there? Do you think I should reconsider....I think I have all of 48 hours to apply :)

Just wondering MJZOEY how you felt about the safety at Temple. I actually decided not to apply because, when I went touring Philly previewing programs, Temple was in one of the worst getto's I've ever seen. Now I have lived in big cities before and lived in Africa, so I am not just scared by the urban nature of it, but this was seriously intense. It looked like bombs had blown out half of the houses.
How did you feel rotating there? Do you think I should reconsider....I think I have all of 48 hours to apply :)

Temple is located at a very bad neighborhood. But you park right across from hospital (for students), and for resident you might park in a lot that's attched to the hospital. There is 24 hr security, and at night if you want, the security can take you to parking lot. You just have to use common sense. Don't walk around the hood at night by yourself. I've only hear 2 bad stories, like some kids walking to get chinese food past 11 pm and had some muggings. I don't recommand walking around late at night at any city.
Also, most students/residents don't live in that neighborhood. I live 7 mins away (by car), and it's pretty decent, and lots of med students/residents live here. And there is center city which is about 15 mins drive.
I've done about 50% of my rotation at TUH, and been going to school there for 4 years, and personally never had any problems. Broad street is lit like a football field at night and apparently we have very low crime rate.
I think you should apply if you like the program. (sorry I am replying so late). It's great program, and you do feel very safe in the hospital, and just use common sense whe you are out and about.