Tell me about Anesthesia and Neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thats kind of what I want. What are the most common diseases that he treats or diagnoses? And does he work in a large single specialty group? or is he a solo practitioner?

You want to make tons of money without having to work a lot? Geez, I'm hoping for a career that makes me work 100 hours a week until I'm 70, have no retirement, am forced to get a divorce and my kids won't speak to me because of the stress of my job, become an alcoholic from being alone, and come home to a portable home that I'm renting on someone else's land because I don't have enough money to buy a one bedroom house.

Members don't see this ad.

That is called living the dream, baby.

But I would prefer to rely on my technical or diagnostical skills rather than on my interpersonal skills.

Based on my brief internet judgment of you and your personality, that's probably the best thing you can do for your career and the entire field of healthcare.

I suggest Radiology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to be clear, PMR != Pain Management. PMR = Physical medicine and rehabilitation. It's a different specialty from anesthesiology, but either could partake in a pain management fellowship. I think the ones at my hospital are anesthesiologists, with maybe one PM&R doc as well. Neurologists (and I think also psychiatrists) can also becoming pain management doctors.
Crap, you're right. Thanks for the correction! I was thinking pain and wrote PMR.

I know there are separate PMR residencies, didn't really think about fellowships in these fields.

Thats kind of what I want. What are the most common diseases that he treats or diagnoses? And does he work in a large single specialty group? or is he a solo practitioner?

Solo practitioner, but as far as diseases go, idk, I am assuming its the same diseases that a typical neurologist has to deal with.

Unfortunately your uncle is living a dream that is rapidly becoming impossible in neurology and most specialties

^^^ Care to elaborate on why you think its becoming impossible? Is it because of the new health care bill?

My uncle is a neurologist, who has his own practice.

He works 9-5, for 5 days a week. He also takes a 2 hour lunch break from 9-5, where he goes home and takes a nap and eats lunch. He spends 6 weeks a year on vacation. He manages to pull in 400k. I am not going to lie, he lives a pretty nice life. :)

I wouldn't mind taking over his practice once he retires (that is if none of his other kids become doctors---fingers crossed).....

This is pretty rare. Most neurologists working in private practices or in hospital clinics work much, much more than that, and many make less than 400K.

Skater, neurologists treat various problems- muscular disorders, epilepsy, parkinson's disease, other neurological diseases, headaches, etc. Most see patients all day long every day, and most take call. They are unable to cure many of their patients' problems, but they often help their patients learn to manage their conditions. Many of their patients have life-altering and/or terminal illnesses, and it is critical that they are emotionally/socially adept to deal with this aspect of their job.

I don't think that this specialty is what you're looking for, based on previous posts.