tell me about yourself

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

researchvet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, what do you all generally say when you're asked to "tell me a little about yourself." It's such a broad question!

Members don't see this ad.

I HATE that question! For interviews, I tried to break it down into categories mentally, and give them one or two sentences about each.

How I grew up/where I am from (e.g. I am from Southern Virginia and grew up on a farm)
My hobbies (e.g. I love to hike and I breed reptiles and I am teaching myself Portuguese - they want to see if you are well rounded)
My school majors and experiences ( e.g. I was a Biochem major, I worked at the Naval Research Lab doing chemistry, I worked in a histopath lab, etc and say why you liked those experiences)
How my current interests mesh with vet school ( e.g. I have a great interest in research/diagnostic pathology and infectious disease and would like to pursue that in the veterinary field)

I actually went to a med school interview seminar, I was the only pre-vet there.

They said the best response to this question was...

Tell them about your undergrad and major, very short background. Then name three strengths you have, and ask them which they'd like to hear about first.

The way they did it came off way too agressive for my taste. But, pre-meds are a little crazy anyways : )

From what I have heard and the advice I have been given - you are supposed to talk about yourself in a way it pertains to the goal of your interview. Example - vet school interview = give education background, perhaps a short synopsis of experience, and your career plan. Maybe a couple of strong character adjectives. Short and simple - not really about your personal life - family, friends, hobbies, etc.

Just what I have heard... I think as long as you don't ramble on and keep it to the point of the interview - you're golden.

Reactions: 1 user