tell programs they are #1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deltamed

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you definitely are going to rank a program #1 on your list, should you advertise that to them during interviews etc?

Members don't see this ad.

deltamed said:
If you definitely are going to rank a program #1 on your list, should you advertise that to them during interviews etc?

Not sure whether u should say that during the actual interview, but they should know someway. Definitely let them know by a post-interview letter.

i should add: that post interview letter? get it out SOON AS POSSIBLE. Many rank lists are sent long before the thank you letters come in.

Members don't see this ad :)
deltamed said:

I agree that letting them know after the interview makes more sense. That way you can say in the letter why they are #1, using information from your conversations with the faculty.

I think telling your #1 choice is a no-brainer. Informing the other programs in your top 3 or 5 of how highly you think of them can be more tricky. If you do, you need to phrase the letter carefully since you can't simply say "You're my #1 choice." (Unless you lie, but I would strongly discourage that since it is a very small field and those programs may find out depending on how the match works out.)

btw most programs make their list very shortly after interviews are done. so dont sit on the pot to0 long.
S.

stephew said:
btw most programs make their list very shortly after interviews are done. so dont sit on the pot to0 long.
S.

do programs actually make changes to their list based on what you say? like telling them i'm ranking you #1?

how about really late in the course, like at any time after they've actually submitted their list.

does anyone know? what do you think steph?

radoncadonk said:
do programs actually make changes to their list based on what you say? like telling them i'm ranking you #1?

how about really late in the course, like at any time after they've actually submitted their list.

does anyone know? what do you think steph?
sure some programs do. However its a touchy issue since they can't ask you and youre not supposed to discuss it. Once the list is submitted after the close date, no one can change anything. I can't tell you how late in the game any given program is likely to move things around. That will vary, naturally. If you are their top choice and they are unsure of your feelings Id expect most people would be inclined to go back and adjust while they can.

stephew said:
sure some programs do. However its a touchy issue since they can't ask you and youre not supposed to discuss it. Once the list is submitted after the close date, no one can change anything. I can't tell you how late in the game any given program is likely to move things around. That will vary, naturally. If you are their top choice and they are unsure of your feelings Id expect most people would be inclined to go back and adjust while they can.

from what i was told, you can tell them that you are ranking them Number 1. but, they cant tell you (they want you as number 1) or make you sign a contract . reason is, i just got done with my interviews last month and this was the case. I told one place that i interviewd that they were my number 1, they said that i was a 'outstanding candidate' and they thought i would be very happy at their institution.

confused..

You are allowed to tell a program where you are ranking them, but are not contractually bound to ranking them how you tell them (though in such a small field I would NOT tell a program you are ranking them #1 and then not do so!)

Likewise, a program can tell you where they are ranking you, but are not contractually bound to ranking you at the spot that they tell you.

You cannot ask a program where they are ranking you, and they cannot ask you where you are ranking them.

So- follow Steph's advice- take everything you hear with a grain of salt. Many (most?) programs (particularly the 'good' ones) will not contact any of the applicants.

If you are ranking a program #1 tell them so, since it cannot hurt.

dknykid1980 said:
from what i was told, you can tell them that you are ranking them Number 1. but, they cant tell you (they want you as number 1) or make you sign a contract . reason is, i just got done with my interviews last month and this was the case. I told one place that i interviewd that they were my number 1, they said that i was a 'outstanding candidate' and they thought i would be very happy at their institution.

confused..

you guys are really thinking too hard about this. Forget the specifics and use common sense. SOmeone tells you they like you a lot. Do they or are they hoping to get folks to rank them highly in case they dont get their top choices? It can be either. What do you do? Take the compliment, then rank the way you see fit. Their compliiments are worth the paper its written on. If you match, great. If you dont, you wont have been duped. Ive known cases of people told theyre ranked very highly, gotten calls etc, only to not match there. As for telling a place youre going to rank them number one, youre not supposed to. why? because it would force applicants to say so to get ranked highly. but you can communicate your intensions. Will some places want to hear point blank that they're number one? sure. but you cant tell who is who. listen to what residents at specific institutions tell you. that's the best way.

also many of the good ones will most certainly call folks. They shouldnt but they do. Why? because they dont want to go low ontheir rank list so they're trying to get you to rank them highly in case they dont get their top guys. Its all up to the personality of the top dogs.