Who said they wouldn't SOAP? Radonc resident count up to 775 for 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2021Doctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1625097292785.png

1625097270125.png

1625097317975.png

1625097347979.png

1625098008681.png

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
The whole no soap thing is a cunard. You can go on the Reddit spreadsheet or Twitter and see how much the quality of matched candidates has suffered with or without soap. There is absolutely zero evidence of programs officially reducing the number of folks they are training. I’ve run the numbers and listed them for every program and posted it on this forum. The issue is we are somehow expecting the same people who intentionally created the problem to somehow also fix it despite the glaring conflicts of interest (which of course they never mention in the nonsense they publish). This is obvious to anyone which is why the speciality is now considered bottom tier amongst medical students planning out their futures.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Save your money folks. The field is in complete free fall. When we land and splatter the med oncs and urologists will eat our carcass.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Save your money folks. The field is in complete free fall. When we land and splatter the med oncs and urologists will eat out carcass.

We should come up with a collective email response we automatically send to applicants when they beg us for jobs

I’ll start: “you should have listened to SDN”

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
This is just a huge number.
I was thinking we'll see more people going into RadOnc residency with a specific goal of being intentionally underemployed.
For example, a medical student with a spouse, who is making a good living, and a few kids to take care of.
4 years of guaranteed 9 - 5 job - not bad. Especially, in NYC etc.
I've actually interviewed 2 people with similar goals during the last application cycle

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Also, we will see more lateral job movement amongst residents.
When I was in training (peak years), that was exceedingly rare

Reactions: 1 user
I was thinking we'll see more people going into RadOnc residency with a specific goal of being intentionally underemployed.
For example, a medical student with a spouse, who is making a good living, and a few kids to take care of.
I've actually interviewed 2 people with similar goals during the last application cycle
After 4 years they take the unaccredited fellowship gig for as long as it takes to find an underpaid junior faculty position?

After 4 years they take the unaccredited fellowship gig for as long as it takes to find an underpaid junior faculty position?
Something like that. In and out of locum-type gigs. Maybe another residency (one of my classmates did 3 separate residencies total ))

Reactions: 1 user

This is a dangerous game. You have a lot more flexibility with something like this in a hot job market. You can negotiate whatever you want and people are happy to have you.

When the job market is bad, it's a take it or leave it game. I have seen several $1,000/day semi-perma locums gigs in big cities or popular areas.

If your goal is $150k/year with no benefits and work three days a week, why not go into family practice where you can do better than that with less training and have your pick of location?

Reactions: 10 users
I know several folks in this position as well.

Spouse is also a physician or has some other white collar/professional career which has a stable income. They're willing to roll the dice on RadOnc precisely because the residency hours per week are (generally) not as intense as other specialties, and if they can't land a good job out of residency it's not the end of the world because the spouse can support the family financially.

I imagine that's what the demographics of RadOnc will look like in a few years: IMGs/Caribbean grads taking advantage of RadOnc's lack of competitiveness to gain a foothold in the country, folks who were never planning on practicing clinical medicine full-time from the start...and then 25-50 kids per year who love RadOnc and think they can beat the odds and find a good job, or are willing to just endure the game long enough out of sheer stubbornness (obviously being sold as "resiliency", the other corporate term right up there with "professionalism" and "provider").

Reactions: 5 users
SOAP bans made sense few years ago

Now it’s too little too late…
I know several folks in this position as well.

Spouse is also a physician or has some other white collar/professional career which has a stable income. They're willing to roll the dice on RadOnc precisely because the residency hours per week are (generally) not as intense as other specialties, and if they can't land a good job out of residency it's not the end of the world because the spouse can support the family financially.

I imagine that's what the demographics of RadOnc will look like in a few years: IMGs/Caribbean grads taking advantage of RadOnc's lack of competitiveness to gain a foothold in the country, folks who were never planning on practicing clinical medicine full-time from the start...and then 25-50 kids per year who love RadOnc and think they can beat the odds and find a good job, or are willing to just endure the game long enough out of sheer stubbornness (obviously being sold as "resiliency", the other corporate term right up there with "professionalism" and "provider").
Problem with these “part timers” is that they are geographically inflexible and will totally destroy salaries in desirable locations.

Reactions: 6 users