Tell Schools NOT to Consider Me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medschoolready95

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thankfully, I've been accepted to my top choice medical school. I've interviewed at other schools, some of which I still have not heard back from. I also have yet to hear back about possible interviews from other schools I've applied to. I was wondering if, out of courtesy, I should let all schools know that I've been accepted and that I would like to no longer be considered for a position. Any reasons I should or should not do this?

Members don't see this ad.

Thankfully, I've been accepted to my top choice medical school. I've interviewed at other schools, some of which I still have not heard back from. I also have yet to hear back about possible interviews from other schools I've applied to. I was wondering if, out of courtesy, I should let all schools know that I've been accepted and that I would like to no longer be considered for a position. Any reasons I should or should not do this?

There’s no need to send an email. There’s usually an option to withdraw your application in the portal. Some schools will send you a survey afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s no need to send an email. There’s usually an option to withdraw your application in the portal. Some schools will send you a survey afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry what I meant is, is it necessary to withdraw my application from these schools? Or should I just wait for the schools to get back to me without knowing about my acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry what I meant is, is it necessary to withdraw my application from these schools? Or should I just wait for the schools to get back to me without knowing about my acceptance?

Unless you're still considering attending those schools, the polite thing to do is withdraw your application so the position can be offered to other candidates.

Reactions: 8 users
Personally I would ride it out for scholarship offers but I guess if money's not a concern and your 100% set on your current acceptance than go ahead and withdraw

Personally I would ride it out for scholarship offers but I guess if money's not a concern and your 100% set on your current acceptance than go ahead and withdraw
Thanks for your response! Definitely something to consider.

I've been accepted to my top choice medical school. I've interviewed at other schools, some of which I still have not heard back from. I also have yet to hear back about possible interviews from other schools I've applied to. I was wondering if, out of courtesy, I should let all schools know that I've been accepted and that I would like to no longer be considered for a position. Any reasons I should or should not do this?
If you are sure you'll pass the background check and won't do anything that might lead to a rescission of your acceptance, then withdraw from further consideration by the other schools.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are sure you'll pass the background check and won't do anything that might lead to a rescission of your acceptance, then withdraw from further consideration by the other schools.

Yikes! Way to poke that pre-med neuroticism to a new high :confused: :eek::D
But also not bad advice...