Telling the truth for "Why Dentistry"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoToHolmes

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading through the threads posted in the past about how to answer "Why Dentistry" and a lot of people recommended "telling the truth" because ADCOMs have heard it all and it's really about your acting skills/delivery anyway. I've spent the last week or so trying to figure out something good to say to the ADCOMs and it isn't working as well as I had hoped. All of my answers don't follow a natural line of thought which means I'm constantly tripping up and having to scrap recordings when I practice. I've probably gone through at least a dozen different answers and I'm constantly stressed out because I feel like I'm just lying to people and wasting time that could be spent doing other more productive things.

I got fed up and decided to "tell the truth" about why I wanted to do dentistry. And no, it's not money. You'll just have to take my word for it.

...and the words just sprang forth on the page. In my response I incorporated a story from my time as a dental assistant as well as my own life experience and I think it all follows a logical enough line that I can easily segway into the bullet points I have laid out. Additionally, I think my reason takes care of the "why not medicine" and "why not something like carpentry" questions in one fell swoop.

The only problem is that I talk about my previous line of employment and how I decided it wasn't fulfilling what I wanted out of a career and I am worried that my negative view of that experience will make me look like a negative nancy or selfish and invalidate everything else I set up. Thoughts on this quandry/"telling the truth" for this question?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've (tried to) read your other post:

I have an interview coming up and I'm pretty sure they're going to ask "Why Dentistry" for the first question and I want to have a good answer. But before I post my response to the question I want to ask if this question is really testing how I deliver arguments. The way I see it, everyone is going to have a very similar answer (I want to help people, flexibility, working with hands, etc) and it really comes down to how well you can speak under immense pressure.

Anyway, here's my response: "When choosing a career I took a philosophical approach in order to find the best path for me. Not everyone will be capable of doing or willing to do what everyone else is capable or willing to do just by virtue of being human beings with different life experiences and material circumstances. For example, I have never had an interest in playing football BUT I was always quick to engage in activities that required me to spend time working with my hands whether that was building bionicles, making pinewood derby cars for boy scouts, or building model kits. Additionally, different people are going to have different levels of investment in different societal problems. Dental care was a problem for my grandparents and they suffered greatly because of it. I have also personally experienced a small slice of that anxiety and pain. Thankfully I was able to mitigate it because I had access to dental care but not everyone is lucky enough to have that. When it came time for me to choose what I wanted to dedicate the rest of my life to, I chose dentistry because I empathize with the struggles posed by the lack of dental care. I chose dentistry because my values and skills aligned most closely with those of dentists. Regardless of how difficult things were, I pushed through it all to be here at this critical moment because in my eyes dentistry was the path to take if I wanted to be able to say that I stayed true to my values and made an effort to make the world better."

I will be breaking this response down into bullet points that are easier to remember during an interview but this is the response I had

You need to chill out and just answer on the spot. Admissions can tell if your answer is rehearsed. Stop practicing and memorizing everything. Just have a general idea of what you're going to say in your head and talk about that.

Please stop being so wordy, and start being more comprehensive. I can't explain it, but I think it's the way you use words and phrases that makes my mind wander almost right away. I feel like I should be able to understand what you're writing but my brain cannot process what is going on, and I have a reading comprehension of 26 so its not like I'm incompetent. It's like I'm looking at one of those pictures that simulate a stroke.

Reactions: 2 users
I've (tried to) read your other post:

You need to chill out and just answer on the spot. Admissions can tell if your answer is rehearsed. Stop practicing and memorizing everything. Just have a general idea of what you're going to say in your head and talk about that.

Please stop being so wordy, and start being more comprehensive. I can't explain it, but I think it's the way you use words and phrases that makes my mind wander almost right away. I feel like I should be able to understand what you're writing but my brain cannot process what is going on, and I have a reading comprehension of 26 so its not like I'm incompetent. It's like I'm looking at one of those pictures that simulate a stroke.
Agreed. There are words we use when we are writing a paper and words we use when having a conversation. Many words are used only in one circumstance or another. For example, when sending a text message you don't say, "I really enjoy the UMMMM roses when they bloom in the spring. LIKE they are just really pretty." Although that is a sentence that would come out of many peoples mouths

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It was a quick post I wrote up to share an idea I had... It's not like I'm launching into paragraphs long tirades with no underlying structure or message when I talk in real life.

Your advice that I chill has validity, but I'm someone who needs to practice. Yeah, I've heard that adcoms know when a response has been memorized or rehearsed. What's worse than giving them a response that has been reheased is not being able to say anything at all because I spent the past 4 weeks "chilling"' and not preparing in the way that will give me the best chance of delivering my answer confidently.

Reactions: 1 users
IMO the main reason you should record yourself is to see if you fidget (play with hair or lots of hand gestures) or use words to fill the voids such as "like" and "ummm."
Yes, that is why I practice delivering my points into a video camera. I have to know what I look like while speaking in order to make sure I do not overrely on fidgeting. The main issue I have picked up on is moving side to side when I am sitting in a chair that can spin.

Reactions: 1 user
For me personally, I've just wrote out questions in a notebook and bullet point topics(rather then writing out a paragraph for those questions.. For example:

"strengths/weaknesses?"
  1. Goal oriented
  2. driven/motivated
  3. Good with my hands
  4. high attention to detail
  5. Weaknesses- too hard on myself
  6. can be hard on others for not reaching my expectations
  7. have a hard time waking up in the AM
(this is just an example lol) But that way I know what topics I would like to touch on when I deliver my answer. As time gets closer to my date, I'll start rehearsing in my head and work on tying them all together. Sometimes I do this in the car or in the shower.. Just have a conversation with yourself about different question you can get asked..

Yep, this is how I have it on my interview prep doc.

I’ve yet to prepare for an interview. Just answer truthfully. You shouldn’t have to rehearse and stress yourself out any further. Always been fine for me.

If I were you I’d log off of SDN for a while

Reactions: 2 users
Telling the "truth" would be a good start in any profession. Unless asked, why talk "about" any previous line of employment?

I get where you’re coming from. I always prepped for my interviews, so that I could get my point across. Some people are naturally articulate/not anxious, for me I need some direction or I’m prone to ramble (like now haha) due to nerves etc.

My suggestion is make a word doc and just write down the major 10-20 interview questions, then write out simple 1-2 sentence answers for each (that you could elaborate on if needed). Then just memorize the major points from your answers and practice discussing these points (not word for word or taped! and only enough so that you remember your bullet points) in case you get brain freeze during an interview.

Also, know what’s on your application and be able to talk about your experiences freely.

Since interviewers often ask unique questions (not obvious questions), it gives you lots of opportunities to answer questions without sounding rehearsed, so imo worry less about this.

Remember to be yourself in the interview, that is most important. If you’re the type of guy that is highly prepared, it’s okay to be that way in the interview. And also speak your truth, which may be different from the interviewer’s point of view, but that’s okay, adcoms realize dentists come in a variety of personalities.

Try to get used to being relaxed during your interviews if possible. I usually become relaxed after answering my first question. For me interviews are a lot like public speaking and once I’m in the midst of the activity, it seems way less daunting and scary. I’d also remember to talk myself up, remembering that they already like my application and there’s no reason why I can’t crush each answer and have an extremely positive experience with my interviewer.

Last edited:
I was just think about my interviews and I don't recall ever being asked "Why Dentistry". I think most people put that in their personal statement. I do remember being asked why I dropped a Yoga class in undergrad? What was the worst thing I've ever experienced? If I didn't make it this cycle what would I do? If I did get accepted, would I still be happy about it while I'm a 2nd year? Why didn't you apply to hygiene? Don't you think you're too old for this? How do you plan on paying off the debt? Are you sure you'll be able to handle it?

Now that I think about it, some of those interviewers were real jerks!

I was just think about my interviews and I don't recall ever being asked "Why Dentistry". I think most people put that in their personal statement. I do remember being asked why I dropped a Yoga class in undergrad? What was the worst thing I've ever experienced? If I didn't make it this cycle what would I do? If I did get accepted, would I still be happy about it while I'm a 2nd year? Why didn't you apply to hygiene? Don't you think you're too old for this? How do you plan on paying off the debt? Are you sure you'll be able to handle it?

Now that I think about it, some of those interviewers were real jerks!
Yeah, good point. TBH I don't know why adcoms still ask "Why Dentistry" when the entire point of the PS is "Why do you want to be a dentist"

I will definitely spend more time answering and looking at the questions you listed

Yeah, good point. TBH I don't know why adcoms still ask "Why Dentistry" when the entire point of the PS is "Why do you want to be a dentist"

I will definitely spend more time answering and looking at the questions you listed
I think you missed his point. You will not know what questions you’re going to get, so no use in studying the ones he/she was asked.