Telophase question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osimsDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which of the following does not occur during telophase?
a)reassembly of the nuclear membrane
b)reappearance of the nucleoli
c)uncoiling of the chromosomes
d)centromere division
e)dismantling of the spindles

Which one is it?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the answer is d. Because centromere is the part of the chromosome where kinetochore is formed, so division of the centromere should occur in the metaphase..... I am not sure!!!!

thats a very good point, nicely done...but i dont know the answer

Yes I agree its D.
Centromere division (never heard of it refered to like this but it should..) occurs when the sister chromatids divide in anaphase and the centromere divides and each chromatid get its own centromere and is then considered its own chromosome.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea ive never heard of it named centromere division, I was a lil stubborn and over read the answer because I thought it meant centriole division which is actually in telophase...

why wouldn't it be c?

aren't the chromosomes coiled back into the histones after telophase?
basically at the end of the process you want to package the chromosomes again not open them up.
thats my thinking, someone explain this in more detail, i might be understanding this wrong.

thanks

why wouldn't it be c?

aren't the chromosomes coiled back into the histones after telophase?
basically at the end of the process you want to package the chromosomes again not open them up.
thats my thinking, someone explain this in more detail, i might be understanding this wrong.

thanks

I got this from wiki Telophase: "...Both sets of chromosomes, now surrounded by new nuclei, unfold back into chromatin" I can't picture it but I am very tired right now maybe tomorrow I can understand it better!!!

Hi everybody. Good question, here is my take of it:

Brief Intro:
Telophase is the last stage of mitosis, where cytokinesis (splitting of the membrane occurs) with equal separation of the organelles along with the plasma membrane.

Let us look at each one & think logically as it is a major point in the DAT:
A) Once cell division occurs, the nuclear membrane would have to form back around the DNA to protect it from the nucleases that are present in the cytoplasm. So this would have to happen.

B) Nucleoli is where rRNA is produced. This has to happen so that the cell can make ribosomes in order for protein synthesis to be possible. Protein synthesis is important to a newly divided cell because those proteins will replenish what was lost during division. Imagine if you work out really hard to look good on your first date, then the destroyed actin and myosin in your muscles would have to be replenished, so you need rRNA from the nucleolus.

C) If you happen to look at a cell when it is not in mitosis, you cannot see the DNA. DNA is uncoiled and is also know as the chromatin. Once cell division has occured, ok...the DNA have to get back to the way they were before division, and that is the uncoiling phase. So this would happen...

D) What are centromeres. Scrolling up, one person explained it very well. Centromere holds the DNA pairs (sister chromatids together). At the end of the centromeres are kinetochores (fancy name for a set of protein molecules) that will attach to the spindle apparatus. Please note that this division of the centromere will occur during anaphase. It is during metaphase that they will align, but during anaphase, a tug of war is creating, pulling the sister chromatids apart. By telophase, this will have happened already. So no this will not occur and hence is the answer I believe.

E) Spindles, you can think of as ropes, and when they pull sister chromatids to the poles of the cell, they will dismantle. They have done their job, and need to breakdown. So yep, this will occur during telophase.

Hope this helps clarify. :)