templates vs transcription

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetalkr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a proficient typer on computers, and I find dictations to be unnecessarily time consuming.

does anyone use templates instead of dictations? especially since a lot of cases end up going standard of care.

any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I use templates for 90% of my cases. I'm always sure, however, to write in deviations from usual, or dictate an addendum. It is easy to fall into a trap of not noting deviations.

I use templates for 90% of my cases. I'm always sure, however, to write in deviations from usual, or dictate an addendum. It is easy to fall into a trap of not noting deviations.

Ditto.

All procedures are templated and held by transcription. I type in 1 line when there is deviation or cool findings on fluoro.

All exams are templated: Neuro, shoulder, C-spine, L-spine, Knee, Hip, Follow-up. I dictate templated normal except for.....

No HPI template or EMR works for me. Too diverse not to dictate PQRST, agg/rel factors, imaging, recent procedure, meds failed, current meds, side effects, activity, aberrant behaviors, pain intensity today, best/worst/avg over 2 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
ya'll are awesome. thanks for the response.

my fellowship switched dictation services to save $, but i was like "why not use templates to save more????"

did yall make your own templates or buy them?

ya'll are awesome. thanks for the response.

my fellowship switched dictation services to save $, but i was like "why not use templates to save more????"

did yall make your own templates or buy them?

Make your own, send them to 3 friends, have them critiqued. When they are part of discovery is not the time to spot errors.