Temple interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oncogene

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I received a call from Temple today. They want me to interview within the next few weeks and they offered to cover my travel expenses. Is this typical for the schools? Also, Any advice or info about the interview, scholarships, facilities, or Temple in general would be appreciated. Does anyone know how competitive the 4 year surgical residency is there? Thanks in advance.

Oncogene

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody has any advice? I have been invited by DMU, Ohio, and Scholl as well. Can any of you give me the inside info on these schools. I pretty much have the same questions as I had for Temple. I NEED YOUR HELP. ANYONE.ANYONE.ANYONE.BEULER. BEULER. Thanks.

Oncogene

Definitely interview at DMU. It is a great school. The cirrulum is challeging, but it will give you a great base. If you like sports especially baseball, talk ball with the dean his son play college baseball. He loves sports. Just be yourself and wear a dark suit perferably matching. They do offer scholarships to some students. during my interview they only ask me three questions. The interview was comfortable and they don't grill you. Wait to you see the New facilities state of the art Gym and library you won't be disappionted.

Members don't see this ad :)
psionic_blast said:
Definitely interview at DMU. It is a great school. The cirrulum is challeging, but it will give you a great base. If you like sports especially baseball, talk ball with the dean his son play college baseball. He loves sports. Just be yourself and wear a dark suit perferably matching. They do offer scholarships to some students. during my interview they only ask me three questions. The interview was comfortable and they don't grill you. Wait to you see the New facilities state of the art Gym and library you won't be disappionted.
Do you remeber what questions you were asked? It seems to me from speaking with the staff at DMU that I would be a good fit there. I am from the Midwest and actually prefer it here over any other area in the country. So right now I would say it is my first choice. The problem is that temple offers Merit scholarships up to $12,000. That would be hard to turn down. Do you have any thoughts about this?

Do you attend the school? What are the facilities like? I have been trying to find pictures of the campus, lecture halls, and clinic. I can't find any.

Oncogene

oncogene said:
Nobody has any advice? I have been invited by DMU, Ohio, and Scholl as well. Can any of you give me the inside info on these schools. I pretty much have the same questions as I had for Temple. I NEED YOUR HELP. ANYONE.ANYONE.ANYONE.BEULER. BEULER. Thanks.

Oncogene

Im going to have to echo psionic blast on this one. I dont know a whole lot about other schools but I can give you advice about DMU. The didactic curriculum is tough. You have to compete with the pods and the DOs since you are in the same classes. However, the DO/DPM test averages have been relatively the same. The attrition rate is a little higher than average but the school is doing better at attracting the best so that is falling year to year. There are other good schools out there though. It depends on what you are looking for. If you want to do research Im sure scholl can get you started considering their new faculty member, Dr. Armstrong. As for Ohio, the only thing that I know is that a student in my class grew up next door to Dr. Yu in Cleveland. (Dr. Yu was the residency director for the St. Vincent Charity program before passing last month. He was very well respected if you dont already know). When this student told Dr. Yu he wanted to go into podiatry, Dr. Yu told him to attend DMU. In any event, be sure to interview there. Im sure you will like the facilities.

The cost of living is going to be a great deal cheaper. It is really important that you factor in the cost of living plus it is the best school. One of the questions they ask me was what would be a typical day in your practice be like? They talked to me a little about my academics, I don't remember exactly what they asked. Interview here 1st and then go to the other and save yourself some travel costs. I am from Idaho and DMU is a good place to go to school. I am in my second year and enjoying it. I can't wait for clinics.

I am a first year at DMU and am loving it here. THe cost of living is a lot cheaper than any other school I thought about attending. That is a huge factor to consider when thinking about the scholarships schools will offer you. DMU is tough but it will prepare you for the boards and residency. PM me if you have any questions.

I'm a third year at Temple. I just wrote a novella, but my computer crashed. Briefly, you will hear many things about different schools and residencies and the future of the profession from many different people. Take it with "a grain of salt" and remember that much of it may irrelevant to you anyway. Figure out what you want in life and where you will be happy? It's difficult. I still am figuring out where I want to do my externships for my fourth year b/c I still can't figure out where I "should" go.
Anyway, it can be over-whelming at times. From my experience here, I think I'm receiving a very good education and can hang with the best from the other schools too.
Temple and Philly have plenty of pros and cons. I love Philly, but honestly many classmates think it's too gritty and tough and unfriendly. And Temple has its bureaucratic issues you may not find at the others schools, but it also has huge resources and the city of Philly offers an enormous amount of pathology that you may not see unless you are in NY.
Regarding scholarships, the amount dispersed depreciates greatly after your first year. I was one of the "merit award" recipients. I don't get nearly as much now. The cost of school here is high for sure. But I am not sweating it...yet:)
Good luck in deciding.

I am a first year in podiatry school, so here's my two cents:

I scheduled 3 interviews with the three schools that appealed the most to me - Temple, Scholl, and OCPM. First I interviewed at Scholl. I absolutely loved it and didn't see any reason to seek further for a place to do my graduate work. But since Temple chose to pay for my travel expenses (so yes, its normal for Temple to do that), I figured what do I have to lose. I can see why people would go to Temple. It is a very reputable school and it has a lot to offer. But for me, my mind was made up after my first interview. I have been at Scholl for two months now and I love it. The facilities are amazing, the teachers are amazing, and the students are amazing. The classes are tough, but hey....you're training to become a doctor....what did you expect?!? As far as DMU's schedule being tough because it is integrated with the DOs...I'm sure that is very true. Some of our classes are integrated with the MDs and later on some of the PAs and Pathology Assistants. But, I assure you, those classes aren't any harder than the rest you will be taking. All of the schools are tough, but if you get your mind right you will be fine in any of them. My suggestion is this: Look over the material, narrow your choices down, and visit a couple. I know its expensive but you are investing an enormous amount of a money and a huge part of your life at the school you will be attending, so be sure its what you want! I hope all of this helps (you'll love Scholl ;) )

you need to go out and visit the schools...you will know where you belong once you visit. Many schools have lots of bragging rights, so dont get too involved in that...go where you will be happy and you can see yourself spending 4 years. trust me, there is a place for each student and that is way there are 8 schools..they all have something really good to offer.

good luck..keep us posted!

oncogene said:
Hey guys,
Also, Any advice or info about the interview, scholarships, facilities, or Temple in general would be appreciated. Does anyone know how competitive the 4 year surgical residency is there? Thanks in advance.

Oncogene

I am an alumni of TUSPM and was very satisfied with the training that I had gotten from Temple. Most of the basic science courses at Temple are on par with the medical students. They are taught by the same professors. In fact, many of my classmates (1998-2000) used the Temple medical and dental students old exams as our source for back exams for courses such as Physiology, Pharmacology, and Pathology. Temple has recently changed their curricuum, such that all of the didactic classes are done by November of the third year. The reason for this is that the students can dedicate their entire day to their assigned rotations. There are students in other school where they spend part of the day or some days of the week in the classroom and other time on their rotation. Temple students have to take a shelf exam (similar to what medical students take at the end of a clinical rotation).

As for the 4 year surgical residency programs, there are only 2 such programs in the US. Both programs are located in Philadelphia. They are located at Temple University Hospital and University of Pennsylvania Medical Center - Presbyterian. Both programs are now open to all students from all schools starting with the incoming resident class in July 2006. Temple used to be restricted to Temple students until now. Most of the other podiatric surgical residency programs will eventually be 2 or 3 years long based on the PM&S-24 / PM&S-36 models. As I tell most students, if you strive to do well in your didactic classes and in the clinic, you should be able to get into a decent podiatric surgical residency program. Strive to learn as much as you can.

Good luck with your interview at Temple.