Temple (OOS) vs Midwestern AZ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apism

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am an atypical applicant (several years out of undergraduate) and I am trying to decide between two schools to which I have been accepted. Both seem to have high quality clinical programs with ample patient populations.

Temple:
Pros:
-Located in Philadelphia, seems like a nice/fun place to live
-Established, has a strong reputation
-I don't have friends in Philly, but would be closer to friends in Boston/NYC/DC

Cons:
-Seems to have an old-school "dental school was awful for me so I'm going to make it rough for you" attitude
-Faculty/leadership I saw at admitted students day seemed to openly resent the students; doesn't seem like they would support students who are struggling
-Specialty programs may take the more complex cases away?
-I get seasonal depression living on the east coast, so winters will be rough

MWU-AZ:
Pros:
-Campus culture seems friendly and supportive
-Faculty seemed to actually care about/listen to the students
-No specialties, sounds like dental students get complex cases
-Maybe a good enough clinical program that an AEGD/GPR wouldn't be needed?

Cons:
-Glendale seems completely soulless. When I went to visit it was basically an endless stripmall as far as the eye can see; very depressing
-Summers sound like they will be hot and miserable
-I don't know anyone there
-Newer school, reputation might not carry weight

Summary: Essentially, I prefer MWU-AZ over Temple but the location seems terrible. Both would provide a high quality education. My concern is that I have been out of school for a long time, and if I am struggling I don't know if there would be any help (or even basic compassion) at Temple.
I am out of state for Temple and the cost of living is much higher in Philly than Glendale, so the cost would not differ much between the two, even though MWU has a higher tuition.

I will happily take any advice or feedback. Would love to hear from anyone who went to MWU-AZ about what the area is like and if it is as 'suburban nightmare' as it seems.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I am an atypical applicant (several years out of undergraduate) and I am trying to decide between two schools to which I have been accepted. Both seem to have high quality clinical programs with ample patient populations.

Temple:
Pros:
-I don't have friends in Philly, but would be closer to friends in Boston/NYC/DC

Cons:
-Seems to have an old-school "dental school was awful for me so I'm going to make it rough for you" attitude
-Faculty/leadership I saw at admitted students day seemed to openly resent the students; doesn't seem like they would support students who are struggling

MWU-AZ:
Pros:

Cons:
-Glendale seems completely soulless. When I went to visit it was basically an endless stripmall as far as the eye can see; very depressing

Summary: Essentially, I prefer MWU-AZ over Temple but the location seems terrible. Both would provide a high quality education. My concern is that I have been out of school for a long time, and if I am struggling I don't know if there would be any help (or even basic compassion) at Temple.
I am out of state for Temple and the cost of living is much higher in Philly than Glendale, so the cost would not differ much between the two, even though MWU has a higher tuition.

I will happily take any advice or feedback. Would love to hear from anyone who went to MWU-AZ about what the area is like and if it is as 'suburban nightmare' as it seems.
cheaper
i have stats from 2019 that say temple oos $395,400 and mw-az oos $487,425
plus it's closer to friends/family and likely where you would practice...

Hi all,

Temple:
Pros:

Cons:

MWU-AZ:
Pros:

Cons:

Hi! I'm a current AZCOM student. Honestly, it's not as bad as it seems area-wise. It only takes a 15ish minutes to get to some great hiking trails. There's endless nearby golf courses. There's two zoos within reasonable driving distance plus an aquarium in Scottsdale (which has a ton of other stuff to do). The botanical gardens is gorgeous (and pro tip, if you get a library card you can get up to two free tickets at a time to go there). And Phoenix has plenty of night life if that's more your speed.

I won't lie, it is hot as hell. I say this as someone who moved here from the Midwest. But you mostly hang indoors and the lecture halls are very air conditioned. Like, bring a sweatshirt chilly.

I've loved my time here and am so glad for the choice I made, despite the significant cost. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask!

Reactions: 1 user