Temple or NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Temple or NYU (with HPSP)

• Temple

Votes: 52 70.3%
  • NYU

Votes: 22 29.7%

• Total voters

frd88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
with hpsp

Members don't see this ad.

with hpsp

Basically you're asking:

New York City vs Philadelphia

5BR5

Basically you're asking:

New York City vs Philadelphia

Hahaha, pretty much. Philadelphia would be much cheaper. But the city just seems depressing to me for some reason. Anyone else get the same vibe?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hahaha, pretty much. Philadelphia would be much cheaper. But the city just seems depressing to me for some reason. Anyone else get the same vibe?

I went to college in Philly and I got into NYU for dental school. Philly is fun and I would almost call it a mini and grungier NYC. However I hated the public transportation there. The public transportation in NYC is MUCH better than Philly's.

It really depends on what you are looking for most out of your dental school. I personally put a lot of emphases on clinical training. Time and time again you see Temple mentioned as a top clinical university. Though this is a forum and a pre-dental forum at that, I feel there is merit to it.

Temple hands down IMO

Case for Temple = HPSP living expense will cover it, maybe better clinical
Case for NYU = School can probably offer you more, NYC is awesome

Case against Temple = Unsafe
Case against NYU = HPSP living allowance probably won't cover Manhattan living

NYU:
-Great location
-235 class size, then 100+ international students the next year
- Good clinical school

Temple:
- Not the best location
- 128 person class size(including about 9 international students)
-Great clinical school

It boils down to, are you willing to spend 100K more to live in nyc over philly(which IMO, is awesome)?

Temple has a secret packet called a ZIP packet...a friend of mine told me about it and showed me his. There is a new packet for each year (D1,D2,D3,D4) and it contains the past 4 years of exams and quizzes for EACH DENTAL CLASS. So basically those who know of the zip packet all have the back tests from previous years and have all the answers to each quiz, assignment and exam. Ask anyone from temple dental school and they will tell u the same if they know about it...unless they r trying to hide this from the public...I am pretty sure that the school knows about this as well since the packet is administered by a dental frat/club that has its own office within the school. This packet is literally thousands of pages of answers to everything dental school related.

Does Temple have NERB pass rates in the high 90s? Higher than NYU? Even if they do, the minimal difference in pass rate isn't enough to compensate for living in the sketchiest part of philly vs. the nicest part of manhattan.

This is my exact situation as well and I thought the exact same thing about the city. I am slightly bias because I live in NYC now so I have a comfort with it but when I was at Temple for the interview it just seemed somehow depressing.

This is my exact situation as well and I thought the exact same thing about the city. I am slightly bias because I live in NYC now so I have a comfort with it but when I was at Temple for the interview it just seemed somehow depressing.

It sounds like you have your answer. Go with where you'll be happy. Clinical training is great at both schools. I would personally argue that NYU has better clinical training, but that would start a flame war, so I'll just keep that thought to myself.

Temple has a secret packet called a ZIP packet...a friend of mine told me about it and showed me his. There is a new packet for each year (D1,D2,D3,D4) and it contains the past 4 years of exams and quizzes for EACH DENTAL CLASS. So basically those who know of the zip packet all have the back tests from previous years and have all the answers to each quiz, assignment and exam. Ask anyone from temple dental school and they will tell u the same if they know about it...unless they r trying to hide this from the public...I am pretty sure that the school knows about this as well since the packet is administered by a dental frat/club that has its own office within the school. This packet is literally thousands of pages of answers to everything dental school related.

I think almost every school has one of those, that's how you specialize in dental school lol.

North Philly is a warzone. In fact, it is inspiration for the next Modern Warfare 3 map pack coming out for Call of Duty!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm this is a hard decision especially with the HPSP scholarship making cost a non-factor even though it might not cover the living costs of NYC. The difference in cost would be negligible now. Also, if I remember correctly, I remembered at my interviews correctly that NYU is the only school that sees more patients than Temple. However, for some reason, temple seems to have a better reputation in clinical training. I would say this factor is negligible too though.

It would be really hard but I would pick Temple. Only because I liked the vibe from the students and administration at Temple better than the vibe I got from NYU. NYU is an amazing place to be and there are tons of things to do. However, it's always my motto that you can have fun anywhere depending on how well you mesh with the students and how many friends you make. Imagine going to NYU and not meshing with anyone? Despite how amazing the city is, if you got no one to kick it with, you're going to be miserable anyways. Anyways, its a hard decision and I would suggest basing your opinion off how well you think you're going to fit in. Because in terms of dentistry, I think they are on par.

Hmmm this is a hard decision especially with the HPSP scholarship making cost a non-factor even though it might not cover the living costs of NYC. The difference in cost would be negligible now. Also, if I remember correctly, I remembered at my interviews correctly that NYU is the only school that sees more patients than Temple. However, for some reason, temple seems to have a better reputation in clinical training. I would say this factor is negligible too though.

It would be really hard but I would pick Temple. Only because I liked the vibe from the students and administration at Temple better than the vibe I got from NYU. NYU is an amazing place to be and there are tons of things to do. However, it's always my motto that you can have fun anywhere depending on how well you mesh with the students and how many friends you make. Imagine going to NYU and not meshing with anyone? Despite how amazing the city is, if you got no one to kick it with, you're going to be miserable anyways. Anyways, its a hard decision and I would suggest basing your opinion off how well you think you're going to fit in. Because in terms of dentistry, I think they are on par.

I agree with this post in that Temple had friendlier people. The people at NYU were not very nice to me.

There are over 200 students in each year/class at NYU. Is it impossible to find at least 1-2 people to mesh with?

NYU.

Temple doesn't even have a sim lab (only a bench lab). Their clinical is overrated.

If I had to vote for one, it would be NYU. With a small loan or borrowing money from someone you know, you could afford NYC living. Which is probably safer and more exciting, especially if you are in your younger 20's like me.

If I had to vote for one, it would be NYU. With a small loan or borrowing money from someone you know, you could afford NYC living. Which is probably safer and more exciting, especially if you are in your younger 20's like me.

Ya, if I go to NYU I'll probably have to take out an addition 1k living cost loans per month. At temple I could make it on the stipend. So, essentially, it will cost me 50k more to go to NYU over temple just because of the living costs. It's probably worth it. I think you're right about this being the time to live in NYC if I'm ever going to live there. Paying that 50k back over 15 years would be like 5k per year. So it would be like making a 145k salary vs a 150k salary for 15 years. The difference seems pretty negligible.

Plus the school probably offers more in the way of research, international opportunities, public health, etc. NYU has a great program. It just gets muddled with all the talks of debt.

Plus the school probably offers more in the way of research, international opportunities, public health, etc. NYU has a great program. It just gets muddled with all the talks of debt.

Did you decide on NYU dantemac?

I did not, I turned them down. However, I in part regret that, because with the military scholarship I could have commuted every day and afforded it. Oh well!

If you do regret it, you might be able to call them up and see if they'll still take you.

I've already given out $2000 worth of deposits. The $5000 they require might be difficult to come by at this point.

I've already given out $2000 worth of deposits. The $5000 they require might be difficult to come by at this point.

eh, the best thing about deciding between dental schools is that you really can't make too bad of a decision, you'll be a dentist regardless. And I'm sure from the schools you were deciding between whichever one you're going to is at least as good as NYU all things considered.

Pitt or Penn with HPSP. I can't go wrong at either. I am from Philly and know tons of Penn dentists, but did my undergrad at Pitt. Comfortable with both.