Temple Post Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ussdfiant

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious why I don't hear more of you guys talking about this program (which I attended and know I could not have gotten into medical school without)? It's not the most expensive program out there, the admissions requirements are a lot less stringent than other programs and there's also a linkage to the big T's med school. I just wanted to know why Temple gets no love from the forum?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd be interested to hear more about this program. How difficult is it to link w/ the medical school? Do most students in the program do that? Thanks.

...also curious

Members don't see this ad :)
First I've ever heard of it...
thx for the link.

Thanks for the link to the site. Did you enroll in the medical school through the linkage program? If you did, can you tell me how difficult it was? Is there a minimum required GPA/MCAT?

Does the Temple Post Bac program require a certain GRE score?

So would I apply for financial aid as a 5th year undergrad? And can I do it part time and work at the same time? Thank you for the info, by the way :)

Got some questions:

1) Did you finish this program in a year, avoid the glide and go directly to Temple? If so, that's awesome. Had you taken pre-calc as an undergrad?

2) Are classes a mix of undergrads and post-bacs?

3) Classes during the day or night?

4) Did you work or live on school/private loans?

I recently turned in my apps to Goucher, Scripps and Johns Hopkins. Since these programs are pretty competitive, Temple sounds like a great backup...

ussdfiant said:
I'm curious why I don't hear more of you guys talking about this program (which I attended and know I could not have gotten into medical school without)? It's not the most expensive program out there, the admissions requirements are a lot less stringent than other programs and there's also a linkage to the big T's med school. I just wanted to know why Temple gets no love from the forum?

Just wanted to add that perhaps the reason why the Temple Post-Bacc program gets little attention is because it is not listed on the AAMC website...not sure why, it sounds like a great program. :thumbup:

Mr. Adventure said:
Got some questions:

1) Did you finish this program in a year, avoid the glide and go directly to Temple? If so, that's awesome. Had you taken pre-calc as an undergrad?

I did not go straight through

2) Are classes a mix of undergrads and post-bacs?

They are regular undergrad classes with mostly undergrads

3) Classes during the day or night?

Day

4) Did you work or live on school/private loans?
Loans

The website says that: "No financial aid is available in the second or subsequent years." Does this mean that you lived primarily on private loans?

Also, is it possible or normal to get through the program in one year and go straight to Temple the next?

How is the academic advisement staff? Do they help you out while you are in the program; or, is it more of a do-it yourself and fight for the professor's attention when you need to see him after class and ultimately get an LOR?

Is it a certificate degree granting program?

Hmmm...maybe I should just call them myself... :idea:

Mr. Adventure said:
Hmmm...maybe I should just call them myself... :idea:

That would be easy enough, but personally, I value the opinions of students who have actually gone through these programs more highly than I value what the folks in the office would tell us (on most issues, anyway). Thus, I am still going to ask my questions here, and I really appreciate that ussdfiant (and others) are taking the time to answer them.

Having said that -- ussd, do you have any sense as to how difficult it is to get into Temple's med school through the linkage arrangement with the post-bac, and what they look for in such an applicant? I know you said you didn't do it, but do you know others who did? If I can get in that way, it would be an attractive option for me since I am a tad older than most applicants (I am 30 now, and in the early stages of thinking about a career change, so if I decide to do this, it'll be at least a year or two before I apply to post-bac programs).

Anyway, thank you in advance for any help/advice.