Temple University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdcd67

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was researching pharmacy schools...and I wanted to hear from some students who attend Temple University, what they think of it and how the education is like there. I heard that the neighborhood isn't too safe...which does concern me, since I would be dorming....and also, how are the dorms like, from your own experience?
I appreciate your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I was researching pharmacy schools...and I wanted to hear from some students who attend Temple University, what they think of it and how the education is like there. I heard that the neighborhood isn't too safe...which does concern me, since I would be dorming....and also, how are the dorms like, from your own experience?
I appreciate your help.

I don't go to Temple so I might be wrong,
But I don't think the health science campus has dorms.
Obviously Temple main campus has dorms, but that's about 2 miles from the health sciences campus. The area of main campus itself is relatively secure, but once you're 2 steps off-campus it's not that safe. There is a shuttle from main campus to health sciences campus.
Anyway, apartments in Philly aren't too expensive. If you find roommates, it may end up the same price as a dorm at Temple. I know in my area of Philly (which isn't close to Temple) many people pay $350-450 a month for their part of a shared apartment. And some are even cheaper if you can find a good deal.

I heard that the health sciences campus area is worse than the main campus area, but I've never had any reason to go there.

I currently attend main campus and it is pretty same here, since temple have their own police station and they are always patrolling the area. The dorms at main campus are very safe. As bac said, as you go north of temple past health/sci campus it becomes less secure. But as along as you are within temple's area it is pretty safe.

Members don't see this ad :)
O ok...I see....How are the dorms like at the main campus? And also, how is the education like at Temple University?

I am a senior here at Temple and I would have to say that the facilities get better every year. Since I;ve been here there have built a multi million dollar, state of the art computer center with very powerful equipment and such. They have a brand spanking new business school and medical school coming next spring and fall for the latter and they will push the limits of the university in terms of advancement and capability in those fields. The science program is pretty crappy here as most near every gets a bad grade here and there due to bad professors and most of the math professors don't speak good english. They also have a brand new facility for art students to replace the old campus (Tyler) which takes up a goddamn friggin city block. But I would say for the most part the school is great and there is an abundance of cheap houses and apartments a few block off campus where dozens upon dozens of students live in safety. A shooting will occur here and there and there were pretty much three on campus. One was a block off my frat house and they security booth got shot up (though no one was injured). There are also mad **** around but I would have to say that if you went here you would most definitely have a pleasant time.

I am a senior here at Temple and I would have to say that the facilities get better every year. Since I;ve been here there have built a multi million dollar, state of the art computer center with very powerful equipment and such. They have a brand spanking new business school and medical school coming next spring and fall for the latter and they will push the limits of the university in terms of advancement and capability in those fields. The science program is pretty crappy here as most near every gets a bad grade here and there due to bad professors and most of the math professors don't speak good english. They also have a brand new facility for art students to replace the old campus (Tyler) which takes up a goddamn friggin city block. But I would say for the most part the school is great and there is an abundance of cheap houses and apartments a few block off campus where dozens upon dozens of students live in safety. A shooting will occur here and there and there were pretty much three on campus. One was a block off my frat house and they security booth got shot up (though no one was injured). There are also mad **** around but I would have to say that if you went here you would most definitely have a pleasant time.

But the OP is asking about the pharmacy school itself, which isn't on main campus. It's around Broad and Erie (I think?). I don't think that(s)he desires to be an art student.
Or do I not know about a new pharmacy campus that Temple is building?

In regards to the Pharmacy school, it is a great school though many first year students struggle to even get a 3.0 GPA. I know from a close friend that it is hard as **** there. But even as a school ranked in the 60s it provides a quality education and has been doing so for several decades. The area up there is more ghetto than surrounding area around the main campus but the actual facilities are very nice. You are near most of the health professional buildings such as the nursing school, dental school. main hospital, and a brand new medical school; which are all within a few blocks of each other. The area is not really dangerous per`se but there are a crap load of **** up here in north philly. Though my previous most is valid for his question as you will be using main campus facilities most of the time you study wherever you go.

In regards to the Pharmacy school, it is a great school though many first year students struggle to even get a 3.0 GPA. I know from a close friend that it is hard as **** there. But even as a school ranked in the 60s it provides a quality education and has been doing so for several decades. The area up there is more ghetto than surrounding area around the main campus but the actual facilities are very nice. You are near most of the health professional buildings such as the nursing school, dental school. main hospital, and a brand new medical school; which are all within a few blocks of each other. The area is not really dangerous per`se but there are a crap load of **** up here in north philly. Though my previous most is valid for his question as you will be using main campus facilities most of the time you study wherever you go.

yea temple does have a lot of outside issues but no offense using racial phrases isn't really going to help the situation if your racist then just keep that to yourself especially if you plan on entering pharmacy, you will deal with people of all types are you probably wont like a lot of them

I am a first year Pharmacy student and my experience has been great. The professors and faculty are very supportive, technology is great, the students are great. One thing that I did not expect was the friendliness and efforts of the upperclassmen to include us.
Great school with high academic standards.
Send me a private email if you decide to interview here. I have some good tips in terms of places to stay, etc.