Temple vs Case Western vs Nova

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plugger

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have limited the schools that I will apply to down to three...actually I'm going to apply to Buffalo as well but its public so who knows. I'm Canadian and really don't know too much about these three schools(CWRU,Temple,Nova). If anyone can lay the dirt(pros vs cons) on me for any of these schools it will be greatly appreciated. Temple sounds the most like my home school, university of Toronto. But Case is small and you supposedly get very early clinical exposure which turns my crank.......Anyways lets here from you people..Please. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Temple is an EXCELLENT school clinically. There is an overabundance of pateints, and it is in a poor area, so you see every case possible. I know quite a few people who go to school there and they really like it. And Mark from the admissions office is really cool. He knows everyone in the school, where they went to undergrad, what they majored in, etc. And, it is the least expenisve of the PA schools. The location, which is good for patients, is bad for living. It's in North Philly in the ghetto! However, it is easily accessible from center city by public transportation, or a lot of the students live in the suburbs and commute in. Philly is also one of the cheapest cities to live in, which is also a plus. And, they seek a diverse student body, which would be to your advantage, since you are from Canada. Had I wanted to stay in PA for school, I would have chosen Temple. Hope this helps!! I don't really know about Nova and know nothing about Case, but if you have any other Temple questions, I'll try to answer them for you.

Thanks Regina, that was helpful. I'm not quite sure I understand what's going on with the school. I read on their web page that the school is in one on Penns safest areas...according to USA today. And that one can find a luxury appartment close to the school for between 450 and 750 a month. Is this all BS or what..I hate when schools tell lies..My school does it all the time. Thanks again..what are the facilities like?

Members don't see this ad :)
I can tell you that Temple is NOT in one of PA's safest areas!! It is in a ghetto and living immediately around the school is out of the question. Also, as a girl, I would definitely not walk around the school at night by myself. A girl from my undergrad school transferred in from LaSalle, which is very close to Temple Dental, because she and a group her friends were mugged one night. I would not really be afraid of the area in the daytime though, because there are a lot of people around. Oh yeah, another good thing about Temple is that they did a $40 million renovation on the clinics and the operatories are large, with the chair in the middle to accomodate a right-handed or left-handed dentist. (I particularly liked this b/c I am a lefty!) Ok sorry, back on track. You can live in luxurty apartements, most live in a complex called Summit Point, which is in Roxbury. Another good neighborhood to live in is Manyunk. Those are the areas where most students live and where you can find cheap luxury apartments, but they are about a 20 min drive from school. If you don't have a car with you, you shouldn't have a problem b/c everyone will be commuting in and at orientation, they set up carpools. If you do have a car, you are well off too, b/c you won' t have to drive every day if you don't want to, or you can drive yourself and not have to worry about a carpool.

I interviewed at both Case and Nova. CWRU is known for its excellent clinical program. It is right in the center of downtown Cleveland and therefore they have a huge patient pool. They have a outreach program that goes out to all of the middle school programs and as a D1 you will be involved in this program! The only downside I really seen to CWRU was its location, its not the greates but I have seen worse. One more thing, Case has a new sim lab that is being built right now that should be finished in October of this year.

I picked NOVA SOUTHEASTERN UNIVERSITY! Great Location, Excellent Facilities all brand new! Huge Patient Pool!! And you cannot beat the weather of sunny Florida!!! If you get the chance to interview at both schools, than definately go to both. Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Plugger,

By now I'm sure you know where I stand with Nova! But I'm not here to talk about Nova, if I did, I'd be typing a 6-page essay on how I love Nova! I want to tell you about Temple since I interviewed there also (I know nothing about Case). Temple is a great school!

Positives:

1) AMPLE patients
2) great facilities
3) fun city
4) STRONG clinical exposure
5) free MBA degree

Negatives:

1) no clinical staff support (scheduling and handling patients are pain in the ass, I guess a lot of the staff just sits on their asses a lot)
2) collect your own payments (you're responsible for payments from your patients. Sure it's a great practice for your future practice, but I feel that as a student, the less stress added to my dental education, the better!)
3) Chair scheduling for specialties (I guess it's pain in the ass to schedule chair time, it's first come first serve basis. Students have to come to the dental building at 5 AM just to be sure that they get a chair for what they needed to do)
4) the neighborhood
5) isolation (going to Temple dental, your opportunities to interact with other health professions students are limited. You're stuck in the dental building all day, the only people you're exposed to are your classmates, patients, professors, and other dental students. The medical school is like two blocks up north and the main Temple campus is like two miles south[not sure about the conversion in kilometers]. In another word, Temple dental is all by itself. Your chances of seeing other students are only limited to lunch time or after school.)

[all of this I heard from my interviewers, their own perspective about Temple. They were #1 and #2 in their class] NOTE:all dental school has their own negatives!!!

All in all, Temple is a great school.
:cool:

Go to Nova. Great facilities + stress-free atomosphere to study in.