Tendinitis and Practicing Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blenise

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the past few years, I've had a small handful of moderate tendinitis flare ups in my right wrist (I'm right handed). I haven't been too worried about it because the pain has always subsided after a few days of rest. However, I recently accepted a desk job that requires me to be on the computer for 9 hours every weekday. The constant motion of moving/clicking the mouse has started to cause the same pain all over again. Of course I'm worried about how to manage this issue over the next few months. But more importantly, I'm now starting to worry that this could affect my ability to practice dentistry. Does anyone else have any similar concerns or familiarity with this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

You should also post this on the dental forum for some experienced answers.

I know two dental graduates who shopped for disability insurance and their previous conditions were excluded from coverage (if they reported it or seeked medical help). The insurers looked at their 10 year history. This is important to figure out if the flare ups are problematic. However, dentistry doesn't seem as repetitive as typing or using a mouse for several hours at a time.

Perhaps your wrist flare up can be controlled or cured with rest and supplements/diet. Hope you get some answers soon.

Reactions: 1 users
I would talk to your doctor and see if you can get a pt referral. I would also look into ergonomic keyboards/mouse and ensure proper hand placement when using a computer (also make sure that you sit properly because your back is important too!). My mother has carpal tunnel and something like this really helped her when on the computer. Lastly, as @MentalFloss2016 mentioned, take a look at some disability insurance and see what the specifics are.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
^Thank you both. I've spoken with my doctor once about it, and we ran tests to rule out any autoimmune disorders. But I'll definitely take another trip to see what more I can do to help myself. Previously, flare ups only happened if I did something that put a lot of stress on my wrist (like a cartwheel). So having this desk work affect it is new to me. Also, thanks for the reminder about posture. I'm sure I could improve mine.

I get ulnar nerve related tingling from the gym. It sucks but try taking a motrin or advil to reduce inflammation and try to not put pressure on your wrists. Like others have said, try for a keyboard that isn't pushing on your wrist when you type

I get ulnar nerve related tingling from the gym. It sucks but try taking a motrin or advil to reduce inflammation and try to not put pressure on your wrists. Like others have said, try for a keyboard that isn't pushing on your wrist when you type

Will do. I'm looking into it now