Program-Specific Info / Q's Tennessee State University OT Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WannabeOT1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm reaching out to learn more about Tennessee State University and their OT program! If there are any current students, alumni, or other future students who may be applying there, I'd love to hear from you! Thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there, I have applied at TSU for Fall 17 and still haven't heard anything from them yet! Anyone else in the same boat?!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi there, I have applied at TSU for Fall 17 and still haven't heard anything from them yet! Anyone else in the same boat?!
Yes! I've read that they can take until mi-January to send invites about interviews, though, so I'm trying not to worry too much! (That's much easier said than done)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Still nothing! What is taking so long :(

Still nothing! What is taking so long :(

Hey! I wanted to reach out and let you know not to stress. The TSU interviews last year were on Jan 30th. Just be prepared for very little notice and know that there is usually only one day of interviews offered.

I interviewed and was accepted at TSU, but decided not to attend after being accepted to an in-state school. Feel free to reach out with any questions. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey! I wanted to reach out and let you know not to stress. The TSU interviews last year were on Jan 30th. Just be prepared for very little notice and know that there is usually only one day of interviews offered.

I interviewed and was accepted at TSU, but decided not to attend after being accepted to an in-state school. Feel free to reach out with any questions. Good luck!
Thanks! Did you get a call/voicemail? I have this irrational fear they'll call and I'll miss it and they'll be like oh well cross her off haha

Thanks! Did you get a call/voicemail? I have this irrational fear they'll call and I'll miss it and they'll be like oh well cross her off haha

One of the admins for the program called and left a voicemail. I was able to call back shortly after, but the time slots were definitely filling up quickly. I believe it was the top 60 candidates that were invited to interviews, but I'm not positive. I do feel confident that they would give you at least 24 hours to return the call before just crossing your name off the list. I didn't hear much from them between my application submittal and the call, but the communication definitely increased leading up to and after the interview.

One of the admins for the program called and left a voicemail. I was able to call back shortly after, but the time slots were definitely filling up quickly. I believe it was the top 60 candidates that were invited to interviews, but I'm not positive. I do feel confident that they would give you at least 24 hours to return the call before just crossing your name off the list. I didn't hear much from them between my application submittal and the call, but the communication definitely increased leading up to and after the interview.
Do you remember around what date that was?

Do you remember around what date that was?
It was definitely after the start of the year. I think it was like 2-3 weeks out from the interview, because I remember thinking that some people might have trouble getting time off work.

I'm in the same boat! From what I have heard from Alumni, the interviews are at the end of January! I'm nervous as well to miss the phone call!

Did yall receive the email about the open house/interview for Friday February 10?! It's not an official invitation but more of an update of a date, I think!

Members don't see this ad :)
I did too!
I'm so nervous and excited at the same time! I wonder if every applicant got that message? I feel like that is confusing if you received that email stating the date, but then you don't get a follow up invitation.

I'm so nervous and excited at the same time! I wonder if every applicant got that message? I feel like that is confusing if you received that email stating the date, but then you don't get a follow up invitation.

Me too! It's killing me that we will probably have to wait even longer now that the interview was postponed. I was thinking the same thing about the email, but you never know. If that was the case, why wouldn't they just send/call to invite people and just let them know the interview was Feb 10, ya know?

Me too! It's killing me that we will probably have to wait even longer now that the interview was postponed. I was thinking the same thing about the email, but you never know. If that was the case, why wouldn't they just send/call to invite people and just let them know the interview was Feb 10, ya know?
Exactly! I am just hoping for the best! Do you have interviews at any other schools?

Nope! What about you?
I only applied to Belmont and TSU, but TSU is my first choice because of how expensive Belmont is! And I have an interview there on the 27 of January.

I only applied to Belmont and TSU, but TSU is my first choice because of how expensive Belmont is! And I have an interview there on the 27 of January.

Yeah, I only applied to TSU! Belmont was way too expensive!

I can't wait! What time is your interview? Also, have you interviewed anywhere else? I have one at Belmont Friday and I am so nervous on what type of questions they are going to ask.
I interviewed at Belmont in November and the interview wasn't bad at all! They asked things like "Why Belmont", when was a time when you were in leadership that you are proud of/and are not proud of. My interview for TSU is at 3:30!

I interviewed at Belmont in November and the interview wasn't bad at all! They asked things like "Why Belmont", when was a time when you were in leadership that you are proud of/and are not proud of. My interview for TSU is at 3:30!
Oh perfect! Thank you so much! See ya there!

Can anyone that's been accepted share their stats . I plan on applying and want to know what to look forward to in 2018 .

I can't wait! What time is your interview? Also, have you interviewed anywhere else? I have one at Belmont Friday and I am so nervous on what type of questions they are going to ask.

I have interviewed with a school in GA last semester and the process was very quick and each interview had a different "theme" for questions being asked. I am curious to see how this interview process will go because I was told we had one prof. and a current student interviewing us. I've been trying to gain as much info. on the program as I can but the website seems a little vague to me :/

I have interviewed with a school in GA last semester and the process was very quick and each interview had a different "theme" for questions being asked. I am curious to see how this interview process will go because I was told we had one prof. and a current student interviewing us. I've been trying to gain as much info. on the program as I can but the website seems a little vague to me :/
What's the name of the school in GA ?

Anyone know what we should be expecting for the writing sample mentioned on the email?

Augusta University
I've been looking into that school ? - is there application process / requirements pretty chill ? - like how hard is it to get into that program ?

I
I've been looking into that school ? - is there application process / requirements pretty chill ? - like how hard is it to get into that program ?
it is one of two accredited programs in Georgia (only public) so it is very competitive. To get an interview you just have to meet requirements for the most part. Good luck!

Did anyone else get the really vague email about their application not being complete after further review and needing more documents?? I just got this and they provided a link but I have no idea what is missing since I applied through otcas?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Did anyone else get the really vague email about their application not being complete after further review and needing more documents?? I just got this and they provided a link but I have no idea what is missing since I applied through otcas?

I just got it!! And I find it very strange because I was denied a few weeks ago.. hmm

Oh that's odd! I had an interview last week and I feel like I wouldn't have been invited if I had outstanding requirements... I guess I'll try to contact them to clarify

It's not the OT program that sent it, it's the graduate college in general. You know how we had to apply to TSU's grad school through their website and pay the additional $30? That's what this is for. I declined an interview when they offered (I've already been accepted locally) and I also received the email today. I'm sure it's because we submitted all of our transcripts, GRE, etc to OTCAS and the graduate college itself doesn't have all of your info. I would just give them a call to clarify what info needs to be sent with them and if there is still confusion I would contact the head of admissions in the OT department! Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
I just got it!! And I find it very strange because I was denied a few weeks ago.. hmm
YES me too
It's not the OT program that sent it, it's the graduate college in general. You know how we had to apply to TSU's grad school through their website and pay the additional $30? That's what this is for. I declined an interview when they offered (I've already been accepted locally) and I also received the email today. I'm sure it's because we submitted all of our transcripts, GRE, etc to OTCAS and the graduate college itself doesn't have all of your info. I would just give them a call to clarify what info needs to be sent with them and if there is still confusion I would contact the head of admissions in the OT department! Hope this helps!
I'm going to call tomorrow probably! I'll let you know what they say! Made me nervous for sure!

Okay, please do let us know! I emailed them this afternoon but haven't heard anything back yet either. I'll share if I hear first :)

I called, and the lady said that it probably is because the OT program hasn't given the info to the Graduate school yet. But, if we got an interview, then we are good to go most likely! She seemed confident that it was simply because the info hadn't been transferred.

for those who got in , if you don't mind could you share your stats - I plan on applying next year and would like to know what I am getting myself into .
- is it a hard program to get accepted into ?
- is there an interview process ?
- and do they focus heavily on gpa or all aspects of the application ?
* if you respond please respond with stats , answers to the question and the schools you were accepted or denied *

- thank you so much in advance , it'll be great help !!!

Anyone have an idea when they will be letting us know something??

@MaggieOT I spoke with Ms. Watt about a time frame, and she said they were going to try to find out who was going to be in the program quickly because they are already 2 weeks behind from their usual interview day. She told me they had a meeting last Monday and they should have a pretty good idea of who was going to be admitted. I was expecting Friday, but I didn't get a call. Older forums from TSU got a call on the second Monday after their interview which would be today if the time frames are the same. I'm hoping today!!

@MaggieOT I spoke with Ms. Watt about a time frame, and she said they were going to try to find out who was going to be in the program quickly because they are already 2 weeks behind from their usual interview day. She told me they had a meeting last Monday and they should have a pretty good idea of who was going to be admitted. I was expecting Friday, but I didn't get a call. Older forums from TSU got a call on the second Monday after their interview which would be today if the time frames are the same. I'm hoping today!!
I haven't heard anything yet :(

I totally agree! Just going off of what the forum said 2 years ago, they found out around 5-6pm tonight and the rest of the calls were made tomorrow morning. But who honestly knows! I have been on edge all week :(