tension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmart

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm studying with EK and there tension stuff really confuses me. I thought I understood tension when studying it with Kaplan but now with these EK questions I am so confused. It seems like any tensions question I am guaranteed to miss it.

Can anyone help me.

I know that tension is F*D but how d idk if it's sin or cos. Sometimes in these problems they give you no distance and expect you to find the tension. They had one with a tight rope walker and wanting to no how much tension until the tight rope would have no slack.

Then if a rope is holding a board and nothing is moving, is the tension 0 if there is no acceleration? I know that's not right but I'm not sure I really understand the concepts behind tension.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so I'm studying with EK and there tension stuff really confuses me. I thought I understood tension when studying it with Kaplan but now with these EK questions I am so confused. It seems like any tensions question I am guaranteed to miss it.

Can anyone help me.

I know that tension is F*D but how d idk if it's sin or cos. Sometimes in these problems they give you no distance and expect you to find the tension. They had one with a tight rope walker and wanting to no how much tension until the tight rope would have no slack.

Then if a rope is holding a board and nothing is moving, is the tension 0 if there is no acceleration? I know that's not right but I'm not sure I really understand the concepts behind tension.

think of tension sort of like a normal force which opposes another force. If a rope is holding a board and nothing is moving, then the system is in static equilibrium, but that doesn't mean that Tension is zero, it just means the vector sum of the weight (F=mg) is equal and opposite to the tension. So tension would equal mg since it is in static equilibrium.